SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    22 LR for small game
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 LR for small game Login/Join 
posted
I'm getting back into the small game hunting scene. I already have shotguns, but I'd really like to improve my rifle skills with a scoped 22LR bolt action for squirrel/rabbit/etc.

With that in mind,I've found a few new CZ452 Americans for sale, way overpriced. The Tikka T1x is due out soon, currently that is the front runner.

I'm looking for suggestions, is there something I'm overlooking? Accuracy should be in the 1 inch at 50 yards or better range, cost around $500. I've got time and enough types of ammo to find what a particular rifle should like.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Posts: 132 | Registered: December 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
CZ455 can be had for $400-ish and is the replacement for the 452. You can change caliber between 22LR, 22MAG, and 17HMR with a barrel swap. 452s are overpriced because they don't make them anymore and some purists believe it has better accuracy than the 455 (which I don't believe).

Personally I enjoy my 452 and 455 Americans, both with Burris optics. Squirrels don't like either.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Shop around. CZs are out there at reasonable prices and they are excellent.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Has anyone mentioned the CZ 455 yet? Wink

As RHINOWSO noted they are great rifles for the price, have the heft and feel of a full size rifle and the accuracy (for the price) is excellent. That said, like you I’m waiting to see the Tikka as well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this going to be stationary, walk around, or a mix of both?

There are a lot, I mean a plethora of choices.

Henry golden Boy,
Henry standard 22lr (non brass goldenboy)
Henry pump 22lr

Remington speedmaster,
Nylon 66

Savage axis 22lr

Winchester 75,

Cricket varmit

Smith and wesson 15/22
Kriss's new ar 15 rifle

Ruger american 22lr
Ruger 10/22
Ruger take down 10/22
Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel

PRS side cocking 10/22

Browning buckmark rifle

stevens

JC higgens

marlin's rifles
marlin 39a

CZ's product line of 455's

If it were me i would pick the lightest synthetic cz 455. (actually that is what i did. 412 out the door a few years back. )

a used ruger 77/22 would be a good choice. Ruger just came out with their PRS 22lr. it is under 500, but weighs a bit more than most. A stock ruger 10/22 heavy barrel would do very well for most things. Match it with a fixed 4x scope and it will be a great squirell gun.

There is another route. You could go full custom and build a 10/22

It may take a bit longer to get it all together, but it is as fun as making a ar15.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, everyone needs a 22, or 3. By all means, get one. When I want a light rifle to bag stuff, I choose one of my two 17 HMRs.

Yes with small critters you need head shots, unless of the varmint type.

I have the Ruger 77/22 and a few 10/22s.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ all the way. 455 at the moment. Not that I don't have 10/22's or 77/22's, but the CZ is the sweet spot on this at the moment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you want a semi auto, the cz 512 is a fantastic rifle.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Picked up a 452 2E-ZKM (right) a couple years ago. I don't know if the 455 has a 24.8 inch barrel but I believe they are worth the 375-400 if you can find one. Unfortunately, it looks like they've gone up some but there are a few out there (GB 756553703, 758318981)

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do a lot of small game hunting (well I did before I broke my ankle and I’ll be back on it after I recover), ptarmigans, spruce grouse, snowshoe hares, squirrels etc.

My go to rifle is a ruger 77/22 with a leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28. I’ve found it to be absolutely perfect for my uses, I love that gun.

I grabbed my 77/22 about a year ago now for 525.00 and the scope was about 150.00. Error that I just used a basic synthetic stainless 10/22 with the same scope as I have now.

If I was looking to buy a gun today, if I couldn’t find a 77/22, I’d either get that tikka or a cz455. I chose the ruger over the 455. Cause of the magazine, I’m not a fan of the 10 round mags that CZ uses but that’s just me. That being said, the ruger American rimfire would make a good lower priced bolt action option which would save you $$$ for a scope and you’d get to use 10/22 magazines.

When people talk about how their 22 has the weight and feel of a real rifle, that’s a good and bad thing in my opinion. My 77/22 weighs about 7.5lbs if I remember correctly which is between the weights of my 2 main hunting rifles (6lb and 8lb$, I guess in my opinion when I think of small game hunting, I’m usually walking several miles on dirt roads and 4x4 trails, having a nice 4lb custom 10/22 or something would be nicer than hauling around something that weighs the same as a big game rifle.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I have killed many woodchucks with a Ruger 10/22 made in 1976.
"Made in the 200th year of American liberty" is etched on the barrel.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 77/22, 2 Ruger American Rimfires and a CZ452 and out of them, the Ruger Americans far exceed my expectations. Best of all, they use 10/22 magazines and a picatinny rail is easily available.

I'm killing rats at 50 yards easily with them.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmL1kONd5Y

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll 3rd the CZ455 series.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 455 I am happy enough with and a couple 10/22s. I didn't see I f2f you specified, but have you looked at the used market. I have seen several Remington, Winchester and Savage MKII rifles that would leave you money for optics out of your budget. I am partial to Winchester 69a models personally, but they have gotten pricey of late.
Also, I see no one suggested the Savage mkii. They are a surprisingly accurate little rifle for around $250. I bought my last on special from the local sports store for $169 with a $30 mail in rebate. It's a black coated action in a synthetic stock, so not a pretty gun by any stretch. It will shoot lights out though.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
I have a 455 I am happy enough with and a couple 10/22s. I didn't see I f2f you specified, but have you looked at the used market. I have seen several Remington, Winchester and Savage MKII rifles that would leave you money for optics out of your budget. I am partial to Winchester 69a models personally, but they have gotten pricey of late.
Also, I see no one suggested the Savage mkii. They are a surprisingly accurate little rifle for around $250. I bought my last on special from the local sports store for $169 with a $30 mail in rebate. It's a black coated action in a synthetic stock, so not a pretty gun by any stretch. It will shoot lights out though.

I thought i listed the savage up above. The fact is most 22lr made recently will hold 1 inch at 50 yds.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Browning T-bolt

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, I dont even know where to begin! As usual, a wealth of information!

I have a Henry H001 thats going to get time in the field, and I have a Winchester 39A thats was purchased sometime in the late 1920's? Early 1930's? I'd have to check the serial number. I've got a bone stock 10/22 from the early 1980's, a Sig 522 ( too heavy, leaving it at home), and a couple of Remington bolts that I grew up with.

I looked at upgrading the 10/22 with a Fedderson barrel, overmolded stock and a Brimstone action package. For what that costs I could buy a new rifle and scope, and for some reason, I kinda like the old plain 10/22. Probably been shooting it like that for too many years.

Light weight means something, I'll be walking/sitting/fire roads in a 4 wheeler. Mostly walking, thats the part I like.

I'm going to go find a CZ455, Ruger 77/22 and an American to try on for size. The American and the Savage MKII ($169??? holy shit!) sound like they punch above their weight class, as it were. At those prices, I certainly dont have a problem getting one of each!

Mars, the video on the American was excellent, thank you! The Aguila 500fps ammo is really intriguing, I'll have to pick up a couple of boxes just for fun.

DS, thats one hell of a list, I was up most of the night digging through it.

My kids have mentioned that they're willing to sacrifice some of the time they spend on homework or chores to assist in evaluating rifle/ammo choices. Roll Eyes Yeah...Lemme see that last round of grades and we'll talk.

Anyway, instinctively I'm headed for a bolt action. No idea why, just feels right.

That being said, does anybody have an opinion (loaded question, I know...) about optics?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am fond of 10-22s.

I'd think about a CZ in a bolt gun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I'd think about a CZ in a bolt gun.

I am! Smile

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’m interested in the new Tikka and if I needed a beater bolt 22, the Ruger would be my choice, or if I wanted greater than 5/10rd capacity.

If you haven’t tried 17HMR out, give it a look. Flat, fast, and devastating. Plus very little chance of a ricochet. With the CZ an extra barrel kit with magazine is only $115 or so. Or buy the CZ 455 American combo with both 22LR and 17HMR barrels & Mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post