SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex Sparc AR $160 free shipping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Sparc AR $160 free shipping Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Joe Bob's

Code:sparc17

Just thought I would pass this great deal on.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sold out Frown

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
PSA had it on sale for $140 shipped. Not sure if they still have a sale. Coupon code was sparcar

I bought one on the 5th and promptly lost it. Can't find it. Hope it's in my car somewhere.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've had a Sparc AR on one of my rifles for several months now. I picked it up as a Black Friday deal. To be honest, I'm not very impressed.

The red dot itself is not crisp. Granted, I'm probably a little spoiled by my Aimpoints, but the earlier Vortex optic I used to own (an earlier gen Strikefire) was noticeably better. Even the cheaper Primary Arms optics I own have better/clearer dots.

In addition, the Sparc AR's brightness options are very lacking. The first several levels are too dim for daytime use, whether indoors or outdoors. But then there's a huge jump in brightness for the last several levels. The levels seem to be set for either darkness or bright direct sunlight, with no settings in-between. This adds even more to the fuzziness of the dot, since in order for the dot to be usable in normal lighted conditions, your only option is for it to be overly bright, which causes the dot to flare.

Another disappointment was the rubber cover. Vortex tried to copy the design of the Tango Down IO cover, which is a great piece of kit for an Aimpoint Micro, but they failed. The Sparc AR's cover is soft rubber, while the Tango Down is more rigid rubber. When the Tango's lens covers are flipped open, they naturally hang out of the optic's view, even without being snapped together. It makes the rifle very quick to deploy. But the Sparc AR's covers, since they're soft and floppy, hang in front of your view. You have to flip the covers off, then snap them together, in order to keep them our of the way. And even snapping them together is not as smooth/easy as the Tango covers, due to the softness of the rubber. (However, I do like that the Sparc AR's covers hang on the right side of the optic, while the IO's covers hang on the left. That's my only minor gripe about the IO covers.)

Even if you can't spring for a true Aimpoint Micro, I think the various Primary Arms micro dots are better options than the Sparc AR in the sub-$200 micro dot market.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've had a Sparc AR on one of my rifles for several months now. I picked it up as a Black Friday deal. To be honest, I'm not very impressed.

The red dot itself is not crisp. Granted, I'm probably a little spoiled by my Aimpoints, but the earlier Vortex optic I used to own (an earlier gen Strikefire) was noticeably better. Even the cheaper Primary Arms optics I own have better/clearer dots.

In addition, the Sparc AR's brightness options are very lacking. The first several levels are too dim for daytime use, whether indoors or outdoors. But then there's a huge jump in brightness for the last several levels. The levels seem to be set for either darkness or bright direct sunlight, with no settings in-between. This adds even more to the fuzziness of the dot, since in order for the dot to be usable in normal lighted conditions, your only option is for it to be overly bright, which causes the dot to flare.

Another disappointment was the rubber cover. Vortex tried to copy the design of the Tango Down IO cover, which is a great piece of kit for an Aimpoint Micro, but they failed. The Sparc AR's cover is soft rubber, while the Tango Down is more rigid rubber. When the Tango's lens covers are flipped open, they naturally hang out of the optic's view, even without being snapped together. It makes the rifle very quick to deploy. But the Sparc AR's covers, since they're soft and floppy, hang in front of your view. You have to flip the covers off, then snap them together, in order to keep them our of the way. And even snapping them together is not as smooth/easy as the Tango covers, due to the softness of the rubber. (However, I do like that the Sparc AR's covers hang on the right side of the optic, while the IO's covers hang on the left. That's my only minor gripe about the IO covers.)

Even if you can't spring for a true Aimpoint Micro, I think the various Primary Arms micro dots are better options than the Sparc AR in the sub-$200 micro dot market.

I recently purchased a Sparc AR as my intro to red dots. I have no experience with any other units. I agree with all of your points. The dot is not crisp (thought that may be my eyes), the brightness levels are not staged well, and the optic covers are a liability as they'll block your sight picture if not secured. If I were going into harms way, I'd cut them off straight away.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My eyes are two years old Smile. Lasik in 2002, prk touchup in 2016.

I found the Sparc AR rolling around in my trunk. To me the dot is not a good solid dot. It's like a squished cone or something.

My Primary Arms and Holosuns look better.

I'll have to dig up one of my Bushnells and see how it compares. Of course it's not like my Aimpoint H1 but cheap red dots are okay for my plinkers.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post