SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shooting 5.56 in a .300 upper.....what would happen?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting 5.56 in a .300 upper.....what would happen? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted
House was broken in to Wednesday while I was away at work. Among the missing items was my .300blk upper. I'm looking for the silver lining. Any chance some nimrod could give himself some permanent facial scars?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14378 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I cannot be certain, I suspect doing that would cause no more problem than firing a 9mm round in a 40 S&W chamber: I.e., nothing other than possibly a sticky cartridge case being left in the chamber.

Sorry to hear about the crime, though. Frown

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36034 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
That sucks. I'm very sorry to hear about that. Hate thieves.

And like sigfreund said, no, nothing bad would happen. It would go bang, there would be a very funny noise, and the case likely wouldn't extract or eject.

Frown

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15041 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I don't believe it will go into battery. The 300aac is considerably shorter than 5.56. Now 300 in a 5.56 would get pretty sporting...

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2445 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
I don't believe it will go into battery. The 300aac is considerably shorter than 5.56. Now 300 in a 5.56 would get pretty sporting...

300 blk will not chamber in a 5.56 chamber. The bullet is too long and wide and will stop at the neck of the chamber while the gun is still out of battery.

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Technically yes but there have been instances of 300 blowing up a 556 upper. There is an assumption that the bolt coming foreword unseats the bullet and drives it down until it goes in to battery and then kablammo!
Kablammo!

-----------------------------------------------------------
9mm
.38 special
7.62x39

Posts: 4754 | Location: BPensacola, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Technically yes but there have been instances of 300 blowing up a 556 upper.

Yes, indeed it has happened.

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36034 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Technically yes but there have been instances of 300 blowing up a 556 upper.

Yes, indeed it has happened.

Yep.

Known issue and has happened to several people. The guys I know who have Blackout rifles have set aside a dedicated brand of magazines for them.

Lancer or USGI for 300 blk and pmags for 5.56.

Personally I would go a step farther and paint my 300blk mags and probably the lower half of my 300blk magwell as well.

Sorry to hear about your stolen upper, Allen. I hate thieves.

Watch local pawn shops.

Posts: 12445 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grabbed the wrong mag one day at the range and tried to chamber a 5.56 round into a 300Blk upper, after the 3rd or 4th try it dawned on me what my mistake was. Luckily nothing happened other than the RO standing behind me getting a laugh at my moment of stupidity.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've not actually tried it, but I think it might. The only thing "shorter" about blackout is the brass. The loaded cartridge length is the same, and you got a .308 diameter barrel to work with. I think the shoulders would probably just get jammed into the throat of the blackout barrel, and when you pulled the trigger the neck would get blown out.

Posts: 15041 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

300 blk will not chamber in a 5.56 chamber. The bullet is too long and wide and will stop at the neck of the chamber while the gun is still out of battery.

It depends on the bullet.

But that's not what we are talking about anyway.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Technically yes but there have been instances of 300 blowing up a 556 upper. There is an assumption that the bolt coming foreword unseats the bullet and drives it down until it goes in to battery and then kablammo!
Kablammo!

Interesting. I guess that makes sense.

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInWV
posted Hide Post
Got a call yesterday from the local sheriff's department. Apparently they have recovered my stuff. Big Grin

Only downside is they want to keep it for a couple of weeks to get "DNA" so they can tie the dude who was in the house at the time in to the burglary. Which makes me wonder what kinda shape it's in. LOL Maybe he tripped and gouged himself on the flash suppressor, leaving a lot of flesh/skin.

One can hope.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot

Posts: 14378 | Location: Cross Lanes, WV | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear they have recovered your belongings.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2445 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't believe it will go into battery.

I hadn’t considered that possibility, but it’s evidently true. I tried a 223 Remington case in my T/C Contender barrel chambered for 300 Blackout, and the case stopped about 0.1 inch short of chambering fully. I suppose it might be possible to fire a 223 round in an 300 BLK AR type rifle with the bolt that far out of battery, and because of that it could be “interesting” to say the least.

— Leo Tolstoy

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I don't believe it will go into battery.

I hadn’t considered that possibility, but it’s evidently true. I tried a 223 Remington case in my T/C Contender barrel chambered for 300 Blackout, and the case stopped about 0.1 inch short of chambering fully. I suppose it might be possible to fire a 223 round in an 300 BLK AR type rifle with the bolt that far out of battery, and because of that it could be “interesting” to say the least.

When the bolt is out of battery on an AR-15, the firing pin is not long enough to protrude beyond the bolt face.

Posts: 12445 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
When the bolt is out of battery on an AR-15, the firing pin is not long enough to protrude beyond the bolt face.

Thanks.

— Leo Tolstoy

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Got a call yesterday from the local sheriff's department. Apparently they have recovered my stuff. Big Grin

Only downside is they want to keep it for a couple of weeks to get "DNA" so they can tie the dude who was in the house at the time in to the burglary. Which makes me wonder what kinda shape it's in. LOL Maybe he tripped and gouged himself on the flash suppressor, leaving a lot of flesh/skin.

One can hope.

Handling the item kinda roughly is enough to leave DNA they can pick up.

Posts: 8741 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

One can hope.

Awesome news!

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 9515 | Location: The Temecula Valley | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post