SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Mounting Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounting Question Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
On my Remington 700 I currently have installed a Weaver rail one piece base. I have also a one piece base with rings already included. What's the advantage of using a rail instead of a base with integrated rings? Is it just the ability to easily detach a scope or is there a durability or accuracy element as well?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A one-piece base with integral rings would in theory eliminate one possible source of looseness, but properly mounted rings won’t be loose anyway. It would also avoid any misalignment problems, but again, if the rings are mounted properly that shouldn’t be an issue.

The disadvantage of integral rings is that they can’t be moved if it were desirable or necessary. But depending on the base for the separate rings, it may not be possible to move them from where they mount either. Something like a Picatinny rail base provides more mounting flexibility, but that may not matter, and unless it’s a “tactical” rifle that’s supposed to look all gnarly, other bases are more sleek and blend with the rifle better.

I am not an expert on such mounts, though, so it will be interesting to see what others have to say.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s been a long time since I messed with a weaver rail but it seems Like the ones I had only had 2-3 slots for ring placement so they don’t offer as many options as a pivoting rail would.

I try to keep My scope as close to the rifle as I can so on hunting rifles I avoid the rails and stick with fairly simple scope rings/bases. I like the talley lightweights and I’m so so on the DNZ hunt masters both of which you can flip around to better accommodate the scope and the way you want it mounted. The only other rings and bases I use are leupold dual dove tails but those are a 2 piece deal.

I’d say my favorite scope rings all around are the talley lightweights. I’ve been using those on hunting rifles for a long time and never had any issues.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think having a pic rail gives you more mounting options, both forward and back, but also up and down with different height rings, should you decide to change the optic out at some point (different scope sizes, so you might have to mount higher / lower).

But if you have an optic that works with an integrated base / ring combo and don't see changing it, that could be the best solution.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Got it, thank you!

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post