SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand clips: Which ones to buy or avoid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand clips: Which ones to buy or avoid? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
I'm looking for reliable Garand clips to go with my rifle. CMP is shut down, right now, I believe, so I am looking for another source. The link below is what I have found. Does anyone have any experience with them. How about others that are also available now?

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...006264072?pid=677853

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I've used the ones in the link, good to go. I never really have trouble finding GI surplus at gun shows tho. I think the last batch I purchased were $2 per. Sometimes I've found them for around 50 cents per.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I ordered a few since the reviews are good and they are available.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Ammo Garand.com ,packrat collectables .llc

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the ones from AmmoGarand.com. I Split 100 so we wound up paying less than a dollar each.

Posts: 1217 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
RNshooter e-mail sent.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many do you need?

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
How many do you need?

I just ordered 400 rounds of ammo, so...

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
you will need 50 each

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you can find some of the Greek clips, they're good to go.

Greek HXP M2 Ball ammo was readily available from the CMP in the mid-to-late 2000s, and came either in carboard boxes, on 8 round Garand clips, or on 5 round M1903 stripper clips.

I bought a number of spam cans of ammo on Garand clips, and a few on M1903 clips.

You still see HXP M2 Ball for sale on the secondary market, often on clips, as people sell off their old stock. So I'd keep an eye out for HXP ammo and grab some of that if you can. Not only is the ammo good, but the clips are as well.

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
you will need 50 each

Only if you plan on loading all 400 rounds onto clips at once. While that's probably an ideal goal, it isn't strictly necessary.

You can have fewer clips, and just reload them and reuse them as needed. They're not as durable as detachable box magazines, but they're easily reusable many dozens of times.

I wouldn't want to get by with 1 or 2 clips, but you could easily make do with 10 or so clips for now. Most folks aren't blasting away with 80+ rounds of .30-06 rapid-fire in one string.

If all my Garand stuff weren't in storage in preparation for moving, I'd ship you a fistful of clips.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
If you can find some of the Greek clips, they're good to go.

Greek HXP M2 Ball ammo was readily available from the CMP in the mid-to-late 2000s, and came either in carboard boxes, on 8 round Garand clips, or on 5 round M1903 stripper clips.

I bought a number of spam cans of ammo on Garand clips, and a few on M1903 clips.

You still see HXP M2 Ball for sale on the secondary market, often on clips, as people sell off their old stock. So I'd keep an eye out for HXP ammo and grab some of that if you can. Not only is the ammo good, but the clips are as well.

This is how I got all of my clips. I haven't seen any HPX in a while, but always on the lookout for it. Wish I would have bought many more cans when it was so readily available. Frown

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post