SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    5 and 10 round AR Magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

5 and 10 round AR Magazines Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Who makes reliable 5 or 10 round magazines for ARs?

I am looking for these for two reasons; first, I want a short magazine for use with sandbags when zeroing scopes and making adjustments. The 30 round P-Mags tend to get in the way; second, if I hunt with this gun, I am limited to 5 rounds in Florida.

I have all P-Mags at the moment and I see that Magpul makes a 10, which may solve that problem.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Lancer makes 5 and 10 round mags. I love my Lancer 30rnd mags.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My HOR is NY so I've dealt with 10 rounders for a while.

Magpul and Lancer make short 10 rounders. I've used the Magpuls without an issues for a couple years. I just got a pair of 10 round lancers at XMAS and they checked out ok, but I didn't put more than 100 rounds through them.

D&H makes a reliable aluminum 10 round magazine as well. I have a bunch and used them heavily before I got magpuls with out issues.

The easy button is the magpul 10 rounders.

I can't help on the 5 rounders except to say stay away from ASC. I had one split at the rear weld when I test loaded it the first time. To be fair, it was a panic era mag and it looks like the spot welds were done in a hurry.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
Lancer makes 5 and 10 round mags. I love my Lancer 30rnd mags.

Lancer's L5 AWM magazines are my favorite AR mags.

(Get the actual 10 rounders, not the 20s/30s blocked to 10.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the 10 round Magpul mags for a few years now, mainly for precision AR training. These short magazines work for even the lowest prone positions, and I can change mags without disturbing my shooting position.

I know I have at least many hundreds of rounds through 4 different 10-rounders without issues. More likely at least a thousand rounds.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Closest range to me is benchrest only so I find myself using the 10 round magazines most of the time in the AR because they are out of the way and can change them without disturbing the rifle much.

Many times I'm just testing loads in 5 shot grooups just loading 5 at a time in the 10 round magazines. I got a collection of 10 round magazinesas as a result of.

Okay Industries Black Tefllon, Pmag, and D&H 10 rounders they all seem to work fine for what I do.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I've used the 10 round Magpul mags for a few years now, mainly for precision AR training. These short magazines work for even the lowest prone positions, and I can change mags without disturbing my shooting position.

I know I have at least many hundreds of rounds through 4 different 10-rounders without issues. More likely at least a thousand rounds.

Came to post something like this, but you said it better. Right on!

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I use Magpul 10 rounders all the time when shooting paper, sighting in, and I use the 10 rounders a lot when shooting 300 blackout and all have been flawless.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I've used Lancers for 5.56 and 300 Blackout and never had an issue with them. I like them for sighting in a new scope and my wife isn't as intimidated by them as much as a 30 rounder.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I have Magpul and Lancer 10 rd mags. I like them both. Magpul makes a limiter you can install, which I believe will turn their 10 round mag into a 5 round mag.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For five rounds see if you can find one of the old colt mags they used to supply with sp1’s they were 20round bodies with a u shaped metal spacer to limit capacity. Or insert a block in a 20to limit capacity

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Midway sells them as does Midsouth Shooters.

I have two 10 round magazines from Bushmaster circa 2004. Work great.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the information.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
To make 20's and 30's into 10 in my ban state and 10's into 5's for hunting, I use http://www.magazineblocks.com

Funny, I just ordered two more the other day... and two days later, a friend who moved out of state gave me a bag of them. Roll Eyes I guess I'll have get more mags to go with them.

The most "interesting" 5 rounders I have are the C-Products 6.5 mags.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the 10 round Lancer L5AWM mags. When hunting with them, I install the Lancer -5 floor plate for 5 round capacity. Great mag.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to use the Magpul 5 round limiters in the Lacer 10 round mags?

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JasonEuc:
Is it possible to use the Magpul 5 round limiters in the Lacer 10 round mags?

I do not believe they are compatible as the floor plates are different.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's the base plate and the lock plate IIRC, keeps the base plate from sliding off. The Magpul ones won't have the tab that locks them in. Not sure if you could use it over the lock plate, I think the shape is different? (I just put some in some Lancers and some Magpuls three days ago, you'd think I could remember that "far" back. lol)

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post