SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 1894 45LC Lever Gun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1894 45LC Lever Gun? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Annnnd.... further down the rabbit hole Smile

Said I wanted to limit calibers. Then, unaccountably, got a hankerin' for a .45 ACP. Then I found myself finally in a position to get the single-action revolver that'd long been on my list. ".357 Mag," I thought, because I already had a revolver in that. Then maybe a lever gun in .357 Mag.

Nope. The new wheel gun ended-up in 45LC/45ACP Razz

So now I'm thinkin' I need a lever gun to go with that six gun. I've done a little research, and it looks like a Marlin 1894 in 45LC would fill the bill quite nicely.

I'm doing this more "just because" than for any other reason.

So, would somebody care to talk me out of this? Tell me why I should go with something other than Marlin or why I might not want it chambered in 45LC?

Only real negative I've read about the Marlin 1894 is one reviewer suggested that hooded front site wasn't very sturdy, or very securely mounted?

Those are loaded through the side, right?

As for the caliber: *shrug* In for a penny, in for a pound. I'm already invested in 45LC. I figure I'm already going to have to buy dies, etc. for it, when I start reloading, so...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
To quote Bill Cosby, "Look Martha, we got another one".

Yes the Marlin 1894 is an awesome gun. I would recommend holding out for the 1894 CB (Cowboy or Cowboy II) model with the Octagonal barrel. Next you'll buy a rig for your Cowboy gun. Then someone will point out that you have half the guns you need for Cowboy action shooting. Then you'll be building a gun cart (I have plans)!

Now, if you want to spend a little more, you might want to look at the Winchester 1894 (made by Winchester/Mirouku) or a Uberti. I actually have a Uberti that has been modified to shoot .45 ACP!

Here is a picture of my .45 ACP Uberti.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
To quote Bill Cosby, "Look Martha, we got another one".

Yeah... probably not Smile Or, if you did, it was a long, long time ago.

I've actually had a big-bore single-action revolver on The List for forever. It was just that other stuff kept taking precedence. A lever gun has always been on The List, too.

quote:
Yes the Marlin 1894 is an awesome gun. I would recommend holding out for the 1894 CB (Cowboy or Cowboy II) model with the Octagonal barrel.

I dunno, Rolan. Maybe.

What I'd really like is stainless. But the 336 doesn't come in 45LC. Only 45LC stainless lever guns I've been able to find are Rossi, and I've been reading highly-variable reports about them.

quote:
Next you'll buy a rig for your Cowboy gun.

I've already tentatively identified said rig Smile

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...570065524#5570065524

I liked it when I found it. Looking at it again, just now, I still like it.

quote:
Then someone will point out that you have half the guns you need for Cowboy action shooting.

Experience has taught me to hesitate saying "never," so lets just say that's unlikely.

quote:
Now, if you want to spend a little more, you might want to look at the Winchester 1894 (made by Winchester/Mirouku) or a Uberti. I actually have a Uberti that has been modified to shoot .45 ACP!

Looks like no Winchester in 45LC. Uberti I'm thinking is too rich for my blood.

quote:
Here is a picture of my .45 ACP Uberti.

Nice!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Continuing to do my own research, I just ran across this: Marlin 1894

Spoiler alert (excerpt from summary):

quote:

While there may not be any need for the two guns/one cartridge sales pitch these days, the value of that concept is just as valid today as it was almost 110 years ago when the Marlin 1894 was drawn up, and that value is directly attributable to the outstanding performance of these cartridges. The straight case pistol cartridges employed in these light, fast-handling carbines carry a surprising amount of thump, and are very well-served by cast bullets.
However, the bottom line is that the .45 Colt Marlin 1894 is a more versatile gun than is the .44 Magnum carbine; the .45 seems to smoothly feed almost any bullet you can stuff into a .45 Colt case, and the 1 in 16" twist stabilized every bullet weight tested, from 240 grains to 368 grains. Bullets lighter than about 310 grains all shot to pretty much the same point of impact at 50 yards, and the 330-350 grain bullets dropped down about 3" below that, and the 368s were about halfway in between. The .45 Colt Marlin is a remarkably egalitarian little carbine. Yup, the Marlin 1894 is a keeper, which might explain why Marlin reintroduced this Model in 1969 and has made so many since then.

The article is undated, but the page metadata suggests 2009.

With Rolan's comments, and all I've read elsewhere, I think 'round about Monday morning or so I'll drop my LGS a line and ask them to get pricing and availability on a Model 1894 45 Colt and Model 1894CB 45 Colt.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Damn, you guys have got me going again. I have a Henry .44 Mag lever gun to go with my S&W revolver. I bought it to play silhouette games with, but never wound up doing it. I even bought a tang sight and a globe front for it, they're still sitting in the box they came in. In the meantime I picked up a Ruger Vaquero in .45LC "just because". So now you've got me wanting to swap the Henry for an 1894.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post

Gee, it's nice to do it to someone else, for a change Big Grin

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
There is no reason at all not to get that rifle.

A rifle or carbine in a pistol cartridge is just plain fun.

I recently replaced my long-missed .357 Marlin 1894. In a moment of youthful foolishness, I sold it. But the replacement is even better than the old one because it is the cowboy version with an octagon barrel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I've never had a real practical reason for a pistol caliber rifle or carbine, but I agree they're a ball of fun Smile

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, I'm almost certainly going to get a lever gun. And it's almost certainly going to be in 45 (long) Colt. Only question is: Which one? Probably the Marlin. I'm not seeing any "nay"s. Not anywhere.

quote:

I won't be "fun"ing a lot with this thing, right out of the gate. That 45LC stuff is st00pid expen$ive Frown (I knew that, going in.)

Once I get my man cave and reloading bench set up, I will be reloading 45LC, that's for sure!

quote:
I recently replaced my long-missed .357 Marlin 1894. In a moment of youthful foolishness, I sold it. But the replacement is even better than the old one because it is the cowboy version with an octagon barrel.

Yeah... I'm seriously considering spending a couple hundred more for that CB version.

posted Hide Post
The only drawback to the Marlin is the cheap factory sights.
Install a good quality receiver sight and it becomes a much more accurate rifle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Install a good quality receiver sight and it becomes a much more accurate rifle.

Thanks for the pointer.

Yeah, with my eyes (they're not bad, but, like many of us, they aren't what they once were), sight configuration can make all the difference in the world.

A Guns & Ammo Marlin 1894 Rifle Review recommended...

quote:

Aging eyes will likely not enjoy shooting the 1894 with the factory sights. We’d consider replacing them with an XS Sights’ aperture at the rear along with one of its white-striped post front sights.

That would appear to be this:

Ghost Ring WS - Marlin 336, 1894 & 30AS, Integral Ramp

Gonna need a sling, too. Part of me says "Something period-accurate-ish." Another part says "Boy, does that tactical sling on my AR ever work well."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

Skinner makes a good, solid, streamlined peep sight. Some don't care for the break from the traditional look of a Williams or Lyman peep, but they are a good choice for field use.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15548 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, IF you go to shoot Cowboy the XS sites are not allowed. I used a full buckhorn and a Sure Hit front site from Slick McClade.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:

Skinner makes a good, solid, streamlined peep sight.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think I like the XS better. I'll look again before I make any decisions.

quote:
Just an FYI, IF you go to shoot Cowboy the XS sites are not allowed.

Are any peep or ghost ring sights allowed?

quote:
I used a full buckhorn and a Sure Hit front site from Slick McClade.

Hmmm... Not so sure about that front sight "condom"

If the stock front sight doesn't suit me, I think I'd look to a bead of some type, perhaps?

This looks kind of interesting Marble's Bullseye Rear Sight with Double Step Elevator .338 to .535 Height Blue

Here's Marbles' Full-Buckhorn: Marble's Sporting Rear Sight Carbine-Style 1-7/8" Short Blade Full Buckhorn with Double Step Elevator .300 to .510 Height Steel Blue

I don't know as I'll ever shoot CAS. (I suspect not.) But, I am trying to stay as traditional as possible without throwing technological advances completely aside.

A company called Smith Enterprises makes a combination Full-Buckhorn/Ladder sight, but, it's kind of spendy.

I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Marbles Tang site is permitted. I personally like the full buckhorn and the Slick McClade surehit front site.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Here's one, that I've looking-at hard from Taylor Firearms. It's their take on the Colt-Burgess 1883 chambered in .45LC of course.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
Here's one, that I've looking-at hard from Taylor Firearms. It's their take on the Colt-Burgess 1883 chambered in .45LC of course.

Very cool! I especially like the octagon-barrelled version. But, at $1500, I think I'm going to have to keep my sights set a bit lower Wink

I believe I am going spend the little extra coin for the "CB" version of the Marlin, though.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, it's done. I've ordered a Marlin 1894CB in 45 Colt

Should be here in about a week Smile

The only thing I plan to do to it it probably upgrade the rear sight to a full-buckhorn.

Hmmm... punches... I don't have a set of brass punches. I think I'm gonna need a set of brass punches...

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
How does it shoot?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post