SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Walther/Colt M4 in 22LR UPDATED Dec 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walther/Colt M4 in 22LR UPDATED Dec 11 Login/Join 
posted
https://www.brownells.com/fire...60300-prod93428.aspx

Anyone have one of these? I've got "several" real ARs, a few rimfires (including a scoped 10-22), and this looks like fun.

Two more issues: 1) I have not bought a single gun in 2017, and 2) I'll be driving by Brownells in ten days.

Will this work for fun - not precision - shooting?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A white zinc metal receiver in a cosmetic shell. Same internals as the Walther/HK 416D and MP5s. The fire control group is not interchangeable with real AR parts, the bolt isn’t designed to be removed, the BHO/release is cosmetic and non-functional, the barrel is actually a pencil barrel under a cosmetic barrel shroud, and the threading on the flash hider is nonstandard (the flash hider actually centers the muzzle end of the barrel in the barrel shroud). The S&W 15-22 is a much better 22 AR clone in my opinion, plus some parts like triggers, furniture, and muzzle devices are interchangeable with normal AR parts. The Sig 522 is also a better option.

That said, they seem to be relatively reliable and accurate, and are probably OK for a plinker if that’s all you want it for and aren’t interested in any upgrades.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why get this when you can get a S&W MP15-22?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I got one several years ago thinking my grandsons would get a kick out of it. They did, but it’s more inline with junk than a real rifle. Dwillks description is right on target. Oh, and I bought mine used for $160! Can’t imagine $350.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
When I finally pick up a .22LR AR it will be the Smith & Wesson.

I agree with other posters. The "Colt" is junk and they should be ashamed to have their rollmark on that thing. The example I found had about a 15lb trigger pull.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one. Avoid if possible. Junk is a good description.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I like the looks of the Colt, but I did not know it was so unreliable.

A pal has the S&W, I'll shoot that sometime

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An other vote for the 15-22, mine has about 18000 rounds through and it's reliable and fun.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the S&W 15-22.

It is reliable, accurate and functions like a regular AR so it's a suitable as a trainer.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Talk about timely post. Was at a gunshow today and saw one and liked its looks. Was thinking about going back and getting it tomorrow. Think you saved me some money.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
+42 for the Smith,

had one for about 10 yrs, and it works as intended,

did switch out the trigger for a better AR trigger, and added a PA dot,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by low8option:

...and saw one and liked its looks...

That is what got my attention, Colt looks like a "real" AR, the S&W not so much. But who wants to buy a POS.

posted Hide Post
https://www.brownells.com/rifl...-kits-prod54549.aspx

Does anyone have one of these adapter kits? I have "multiple" ARs and using one primarily for 22LR wold not deplete my, er...tactical capabilities.

posted Hide Post
I have Ciener-copy from CMMG, it works great. I probably haven't shot .223/556 out of that DPMS AR in about 3 years, but it's had a ton of .22 through it.
Gets dirty & I don't know what the chamber insert is doing to the barrel, but it's a cheap AR anyway - the wife loves it.
Mine came with the all-plastic BDM mags, which are junk after a while. They replaced them with their nylon-insert mags at no cost & I bought a couple metal-insert mags. All's been well after that.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have a both a Ciener kit and a USGI M261 kit,

both work well, with out a hiccup,

the 261 kit and mini mags would give me quarter sized groups out of a skinny barrel 1:9 barrel at the indoor range I used to frequent (offhand practice),

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the CMMG kit and another mag, I'll do a range report in a few weeks.

posted Hide Post
This did not work in my Armalite 16" and I just sent it back to Brownells:

https://www.brownells.com/rifl...-kits-prod54549.aspx

Read all the instructions and took it to the range, out of a 25 rd mag all of two rounds went downrange, many others jammed. I do not have the patience to fix it, for the first time I'll use the Brownells return program and get a refund. They gave me a free shipping label and it'll go back tomorrow.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I had one of those adapters and sold it off.

$200 for what it is compared to a complete rifle like a 10/22 for roughly the same money.

It worked pretty well but the novelty wore off.

Height over bore issues make 22lr ARs problematic for small game hunting. Fun plinker, or as a trainer to get a kid ready to eventually shoot an AR, pretty good fit.

If I were going to get one again I would probably get one of the dedicated 22lr uppers.

Posts: 14121 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
S&W MP-15/22 is far superior.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Why get this when you can get a S&W MP15-22?

^^^^^^^^
This. I have a S&W MP15-22 that has been superb. I even used it at an Appleseed Project multi-day training event without any issues. I also like that unlike other AR-22s it functions just like an AR-15 when it comes to controls.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post