SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    "USMC Is Finally Fielding a New 40mm Grenade Launcher"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"USMC Is Finally Fielding a New 40mm Grenade Launcher" Login/Join 
posted
The link has a photo.

https://www.military.com/daily...renade-launcher.html

Marine Corps Is Finally Fielding a New 40mm Grenade Launcher

5 Apr 2019
Military.com | By Matthew Cox

U.S. Marines are about to finally get a new grenade launcher to replace the Vietnam War-era M203, a switch the Army made about 10 years ago.

The Marine Corps plans to field the M320A1 40mm grenade launcher -- which can be used in a standalone mode or mounted beneath weapons such as the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle -- in fiscal 2020, according to a recent news release from Marine Corps Systems Command.

"The M320A1 will provide good range and accuracy, making the infantry squad more lethal," Lt. Col. Tim Hough, program manager for Infantry Weapons at Marine Corps Systems Command's Ground Combat Element Systems, said in the release.

The Army first began fielding the M320 in 2009 and later upgraded to the M320A1, which is designed to be mounted under the M4 carbine.

Unlike the M203, the breach on the M320 series opens to the side to accept longer 40mm grenades. It also has a pistol grip, so troops don't have to use the weapon's 30-round magazine as a pistol grip.

The M320/320A1 has a maximum effective range of 150 meters on a point target such as a window and a 350-meter max effective range on an area target, according to the Army's technical manual for 40mm grenade launchers.

Unloaded, the M320 series weighs about 3.4 pounds in the mounted configuration and about 6.4 pounds in the stand-alone configuration.

"The functionality of the M320A1 makes it unique," Hough said in the release, adding that its ability to be used as a stand-alone or in conjunction with a rifle should help warfighters combat enemy forces.

But before the Marine Air-Ground Task Force receives the M320A1, the Marines will have to draft their own technical documents for the weapon, the release states.

In early March, Ground Combat Elements Systems began working with fleet maintenance Marines and logisticians from Albany, Georgia, conducting analyses to determine provisioning, sustainment and new equipment training requirements for the system, according to the release.

The first evaluation was a level-of-repair analysis, which determines when a system component will be replaced, repaired or discarded, the release states. This process provides information to help operational forces fix the weapon quickly should it break.

The second evaluation was a job training analysis, which provides the operational forces with a training package instructing them on proper use of the system so Marines can accurately engage adversaries on the battlefield, the release states.

"This process helps us ensure this weapon is both sustainable and maintainable at the operator and Marine Corps-wide level," said Capt. Nick Berger, project officer in Infantry Weapons at MCSC. "It sets conditions for us to field the weapon."

-- Matthew Cox can be reached at matthew.cox@military.com.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took them long enough. The M320 is great, I always took one with me on patrol to keep in the HMMWV or MRAP.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
That thing looks huge and weighs more than the 203. That’s 14.7 pounds on a M27, wtf?

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Took them long enough.
That's Marine SOP.

Everyone was getting 300WM bolt sniper rifles to fill the gap between 308 and 50cal in OEF / OIF / GWOT, yet USMC had to take 10+ years to study and get it into doctrine and all that important stuff.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...ng-new-mk-13-rifles/

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
M320 is the heat, I had one on my M4 at one point. Great upgrade from the 203.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
That thing looks huge and weighs more than the 203. That’s 14.7 pounds on a M27, wtf?

It weighs 3.4 lbs...

I clicked into this thread thinking "What, the M320 isn't good enough?" Ah...they are just getting around to the 320, sheesh.

A benefit of being a small organization is that it should be much more agile and adaptable than a large one. Not the USMC, they stubbornly hold on to full size M16A4 "muskets" and other legacy gear like crazy.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
A benefit of being a small organization is that it should be much more agile and adaptable than a large one. Not the USMC, they stubbornly hold on to full size M16A4 "muskets" and other legacy gear like crazy.

Well, they have to update tactics, then strategy, then doctrine - after exhaustive testing, evaluating, writing, re-writing, and finally official approval - that takes time, money, time, and more time.

But hey, their staffs have to have something to do! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
Took them long enough.
That's Marine SOP.

Everyone was getting 300WM bolt sniper rifles to fill the gap between 308 and 50cal in OEF / OIF / GWOT, yet USMC had to take 10+ years to study and get it into doctrine and all that important stuff.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.c...ng-new-mk-13-rifles/
My buddy who is a major in the Marines suspects procurement waits enough years until they can start buying used ones from the Army before adopting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23201 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Any chance of a sale on the old 203s? Big Grin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s funny, I was in the army 2009-2012 and never once saw or even heard of the m320.. shot the m203 plenty though.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
Any chance of a sale on the old 203s? Big Grin

Check with CMP in the morning...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carried a 203 for a while. Would love to have one if I could get some 40mm HEDP for it. I promise not to do anything dumb......

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
That’s funny, I was in the army 2009-2012 and never once saw or even heard of the m320.. shot the m203 plenty though.

Phase in was 2009-2015. I retired in 2013 and hadn't seen one yet. It all depends on where you are.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

Phase in was 2009-2015. I retired in 2013 and hadn't seen one yet. It all depends on where you are.

I got issued mine in either late 2012 or first quarter 2013. There were a lot of other brigades in the 82d that got them earlier.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
173rd started getting theirs in 2009...neat spud launchers!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:

I got issued mine in either late 2012 or first quarter 2013. There were a lot of other brigades in the 82d that got them earlier.

I first saw one in Iraq, early 2010 with a company of 82nd rotating in to our little FOB.

It is sad that active duty USMC is behind the Army National Guard, I don't know when we got them, but in the OR Guard, we have 320s.

And M4A1's with ACOGs and CCOs, M2A1's, M1A2 Abrams, M110's, M107s...we've had these for years, decades in some cases.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

We got them in 2009 before yet another Iraq deployment. I was infantry back then before I commissioned in 2010. If you weren't combat arms then that would explain why you never saw them.

Posts: 2016 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got them in 2009 prior to deployment. It was kind of a step back. My guys preferred to carry them separately from the M4s due to weight and length (even with some of the accessories removed). Which meant another piece of gear to hang off you while you humped the hills. We actually sent negative feedback to the PM who fielded them. That said they shot well and you can hang all kinds of new accessories off it, unlike the 320. The whole ambi thing is bs, because the 230 pivots out to one side only whereas the 203 pushes forward and can be loaded with ether hand. We never saw the new longer grenades for them. Also, the shoot through muzzle cap cost $25 each (at the time).

Posts: 4578 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:

And M4A1's with ACOGs and CCOs, M2A1's, M1A2 Abrams, M110's, M107s...we've had these for years, decades in some cases.

Um, didn't the USMC have SR-25s (Pre M110s) before we got the M110s, The Barret 82 before Army got the XM107s and issue ACOGs to almost every grunt while Army is issuing a ACOGs in a lower density mixed with M68s?

Posts: 4578 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
First I'd heard of a "new" grenade launcher. We used (and liked) the 203, back in the day, though it was a bit of an art form to get great accuracy with it. The 320 betterer?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post