SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Building a precision bolt action rifle from scratch and on a budget
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a precision bolt action rifle from scratch and on a budget Login/Join 
Picture of P226_operator
posted
Hey guys!

I saw a youtube video about a guy who built a precision bolt action rifle on a budget using a used Savage model 110 as the foundation. Changed out the barrel, and built it on a MDT HS3 chassis. I was wondering if you could take say a used Rem 700, strip it down to the bolt/receiver, and then build up from that? Or is there more about the little nuances related to precision bolt action rifles that this would not be a good option. I guess my train of thought is like the AR, you can build it from scratch to meet whatever need you want it to fill. I'd like to get into precision bolt action matches using 6.5 Creedmoor. Would there be a cost savings and get me to what I want, or is it better to go find a new rifle specifically built? Love to hear what you guys think. Thanks!

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
With factory options like the Ruger RPR and Tikka CTR, you dont really save much and likely wont be able to match the accuracy when you're done. Factory warranties to boot.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of motorheadjohn
posted Hide Post
Savage barrels are user-serviceable, Rem 700 is going to require a gunsmith or special tools to remove and install barrel.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: October 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did not say what your budget was. But I am planning on building a bolt gun this winter.
Build plan:
Ruger American Predator 6.5CM
Replace the factory optic mount with a better base.
Possibly replace the factory stock. Maybe.
The rest of my cash will go towards good glass. Probably Leupold.
It all depends on what I can find on sale this winter.
Goal: Do anything, go anywhere rifle with great accuracy out to 500 yards.
Not tacticool or a chassis build. My budget is 850. The scope may cost more the rifle!
If I was going the chassis route, I would go RPR and spend $$$ on glass.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Whats your budget? Do You already have a 700 donor action?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
You could do it. But a factory Rem 700 would be the LAST action I would choose. A buddy has a Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor that is a one hole gun at 100 yards and under $900 and comes with a chassis.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post