SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any of you guys play with air rifles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of you guys play with air rifles? Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Not rifle but here it is anyway. I like this one better than my Steyr

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
now have a RWS Diana 34, break action, extremely accurate, and loud,
like 22 LR loud,

Yes they are loud and heavy, too, but local feral cats and other pesky critters have come to respect it.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Hamden, nice pistol there. So I went very conservative with the spending and just struck a deal for a very lightly used Gamo Whisper in .177. I really wanted something a bit more “refined” with a wood stock, but I got a good deal. I'm going to feel out the hobby before spending. Now to research a scope as I hear the one that is included is junk. Thanks for the help guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: apf383,

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:
Hamden, nice pistol there. So I went very conservative with the spending and just struck a deal for a very lightly used Gamo Whisper in .177. I really wanted something a bit more “refined” with a wood stock, but I got a good deal. I'm going to feel out the hobby before spending. Now to research a scope as I hear the one that is included is junk. Thanks for the help guys.

Make sure you buy a scope that is rated for an air gun. Most centerfire rifle scopes are not and will get ruined with the recoil impulse of a spring gun.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jimmy. Hard to believe these can be tougher on glass than certer file rifles.

Posts: 7489 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Beeman 124D w/ Beeman 2x7 variable

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Nice work on those paintballs Richard. Nice rifle too. Love the wood stock, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up. Wonder if I can get an aftermarket, or even factory one?

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Jimmy. Hard to believe these can be tougher on glass than certer file rifles.

Spring piston air rifles don't recoil from the force of the bullet, after all it's only a tiny pellet. It is the heavy spring that first throws the gun back against your shoulder, and then forwards. It takes a specially built scope to handle the heavy back and forth recoils.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course many scopes are fine with that (just buy one that says so) or the PCP guns are not an issue as well...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Got into airguns (springers and multi pumps) a few years ago. Toyed with the idea of PCP but did not want the expense of the 'fill accessories'. But it would be nice to do the multiple shots. However, the air soft (M226, Sig green gas) does work for that. There are several sites that are dedicated to airguns. The costs can be significant, and the calibers are up there too. Price of ammo and availability is the driving force for me. Check out the airgun forums and then decide. There are lots of options for refurbs, used and sales. Also, the springers will 'kill' a non-airgun scope, I have a 4x to prove it!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased a Hatsan Flash Pup in .22. I got tired of unimpressive accuracy from the break barrels. For me, PCP is the way to go.

I fill mine with a hand pump. It's a bit of a workout, but Pyramid Air had a deal were they gave you the pump for free. With a leftover Leupold VX II 2-7 I can routinely get one hole accuracy at 25 yards. I've killed uncountable numbers of backyard vermin with it. I REALLY like it.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
O P the one you spoke of is a very good one and I have it in 22 cal.
ammo is good for me with RWS
Very quite with the built in CAN

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple PCP airguns in the past, but don't like messing with pumps and/or tanks. My love has always been German made spring guns. I've owned a number of them, but currently have a Finewerbau 124 Deluxe, a Beeman R9, and an RWS 34. I've owned a few of the magnum rifles like the RWS 350 and 52, but find the mid powered guns easier to cock and carry with plenty of power for my needs.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Beeman 124D w/ Beeman 2x7 variable

Now that's a classic rifle. I still have the one my father bought me new in the 70's.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want real accuracy you want one of the 10m pcp rifles. I have a walther and a hammerli and when I do my job I impress myself Smile. When people who know what they are doing use them its beyond scary.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Actually, yeah, I have a lot of love for the Benjamin and Sheridan blue streaks. You can find used ones pretty easily, and have it restored by several air rifle repair places. You hit on one of the nice things about the pumps, you can get a consistent 400fps out of them vs the 800-1000fps out of some of the springers or nitro piston guns. 400fps are perfect for dispatching rabbits or smaller game. They will be considerably quieter than the faster air rifles..
Just curious - when shooting a benjamin pump (400fps?), hearing protection wasn't needed. Do you need them for the higher 800-1000fps? I have seen DonnyFL.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, not 8n most cases. Going super sonic you do. Ie the break opens quoted at 1300fps with a 10g pellet. If you add a hevier pellet that drops it well below 1280 say 900 it is loud, but bearable.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, not 8n most cases. Going super sonic you do. Ie the break opens quoted at 1300fps with a 10g pellet. If you add a hevier pellet that drops it well below 1280 say 900 it is loud, but bearable.

Initially thats why I wanted a .22, but I got a great deal on a .177. Still getting my feet wet with this so maybe a nice PCP later on if I like it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Beeman 124D

I have the same thing, but with a Burris Timberline -- maybe 3-9x, as it's an older model.

For anyone considering a springer air rifle...

They can be really quite accurate, especially the Feinwerkbau/Beeman 124. But you have so shoot them correctly. All air rifles need a very good trigger pull -- the pellet is in the barrel a long time. Yanking the trigger will yank a shot.

Springer rifles have both forward and backward recoil pulses, with the forward pulse being the most disruptive to precision shooting. I find that the firm pressure into the clavicle that works so well in my precision bolt action and AR rifles pretty much guarantees crappy accuracy in a springer. IMO successful springer shooting requires a very light hold on the rifle, allowing it to more-or-less free recoil forward and backward. Unfortunately, this isn't good technique practice for my precision center-fire rifles. Therefore, I really don't shoot my FWB/Beeman 124 very much.

That's unfortunate, because I have a nice 30' long lane in my basement for shooting pellets. I threw together a workable pellet stop, a solid backstop for WTF really poor shots, and have one of my spare wood barriers for positional practice.

When I'm holding the springer properly, a tight one-ragged-hole group of .17 caliber holes is no big deal at 30 feet. My 124 seems to like RWS match pellets best.

Eventually I may consider a PCP rifle for indoor & winter precision rifle practice. One of the best rifle shooters in our state practices heavily with PCP rifles. His RAW (Rapid Air Weapons) repeater PCP is amazing.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Is there any love left for the ancient ole' Benjamin 392 pump? I guess being a pump there is too much velocity fluctuation, therefore accuracy? I remember the kids with more money had those while others of us had 2nd generation (for us) Crossmans or Daisys. I don't want anything too loud btw, so the Diana may be doubtful. Thanks guys.

Actually, yeah, I have a lot of love for the Benjamin and Sheridan blue streaks. You can find used ones pretty easily, and have it restored by several air rifle repair places. You hit on one of the nice things about the pumps, you can get a consistent 400fps out of them vs the 800-1000fps out of some of the springers or nitro piston guns. 400fps are perfect for dispatching rabbits or smaller game. They will be considerably quieter than the faster air rifles.

RWS makes a great break open pistol that hits that fps range you are talking about.

I agree Dsgrouse, the old Benjamins are a lot of fun. I have the more current version C9A Series in 5mm/20cal. It's nice to just pump it a few times for quiet soda can shooting during BBQ's with the family. I can get about 700fps out of it, and using 13gr Baracuda or 14gr Benjamin pellets it knocks down critters very well.

The 2 other rifles I have are an RWS-34 break barrel and an RWS48 side cocker. Both are a little loud if you have neighbors close by, but they are a hoot to snipe ping pong balls at distance!

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post