SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hickok & the Pig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hickok & the Pig Login/Join 
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted
There’s probably no better video posted to YT today:
https://youtu.be/HtK5gB6po_U

Hickok playing Rambo is all smiles.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for the Flying Pig. Frown

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I just LOVE the beltshe has, slung across this torso, John Rambo style! 'MERICA!!!!

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I got to shoot M60's in the army in the late 60's. Pretty fun till you had to pack the thing around any distance. The ammo cans weren't light either.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Our unit in Germany during the early to mid 90's had four. None of them was 100% but one would fire consistently, ( it just wouldn't stop until you broke the belt or it ran out of ammo Eek Big Grin ) so that's the one I always signed for when going to the field and to Bosnia in 95/96.

Personally, even though the -60 is lighter, I'd take a 240 over it in a heartbeat.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in the army in the late 80's to early 90's in Germany, I was our platoon's M60 gunner and also had the M203 grenade launcher on my M16. Every time we went out to the field and on alerts I had to draw that pig from the armory with it's spare barrel. There were many times instead of returning the unused ammo back to the ammo depot we would use it all up. I remember many times I would have that barrel glowing orange and then jamming. Waiting for it too cool then firing it again. Then back in garrison spending hours cleaning it. Fun times !!! God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3067 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
This is how you start an M60 video.....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
The M60 was made down the road from where I lived in high school. Used to hear the test firing on calm days.

When I got to my unit, we still had 60s, and I loved the Saco Defense logo on the grip. Loved it up until one ran away when it was being loaded and the gunner swept just above my entire team as we were stacked for entry (he went to rip the belt and the gun turned in the pintle mount).

We transitioned to the 240 very shortly after that.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
My home Range is Royal Range, when they unleash this bad boy inside, it WILL get your attention! GREAT Range if you are here in Nashville!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

...Personally, even though the -60 is lighter, I'd take a 240 over it in a heartbeat.

I have no experience with the 240 b (came along after my time...I was in during the mid 80's); everyone who did have experience with both the 'pig' and the 240 would take the 240, hands down, every time.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly and objectively one of the worst machine gun designs in history!!
When you design a gun for grunts that has multiple parts that can be assembled wrong but still
Pass a functions check dry but not function live you have made a huge mistake! Having a gun that needs the gas system wired together so it can’t be disassembled the reassembled incorrectly is a mistake. Putting the carry handle on in such a way it can not be used to remove and handle a hot barrel? Having to issue an asbestos glove to allow barrel changes? It is amazing it lasted as long as it did

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our unit in Germany during the early to mid 90's had four. None of them was 100% but one would fire consistently, ( it just wouldn't stop until you broke the belt or it ran out of ammo Eek Big Grin ) so that's the one I always signed for when going to the field and to Bosnia in 95/96.

Personally, even though the -60 is lighter, I'd take a 240 over it in a heartbeat.

The 240 Bravo is the bees knees. Too bad the saw is such a pos, it’s just a scaled down 240

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:

The 240 Bravo is the bees knees. Too bad the saw is such a pos, it’s just a scaled down 240

Yes!

I loved the SAW. The MK48 would be perfect though!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
My old kung fu sifu crewed one in Viet Nam. One guy to carry the pig, another to carry the sack of extra barrels.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on a 60 for a year or so at Bragg. Fun to shoot, sucked to carry. Its been a long time but I seem to recall that the weapon and basic load weighed around 30 lbs + all your other gear and crap. The A-Gunner had the tripod and more ammo. I was happy to move to the 203 after that.

Best time with the 60 was training the ROTC kids in the summer on the 300-800m range. Shot up a truckload of ammo and made the trainees police up the brass and clean the weapons.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6 to 9 round bursts.
I went to ground combat school with a zoomie washout Captain who was relegated to Security Police after he did something stupid.
He and I were watching some Defense Language Institute students from the Middle East marching past us. As they marched by, they chanted "I am sick in bed today".
I later found myself teamed with the Captain during M60 training.
As he was touching off a burst, the Captain chanted "I am sick in bed today". Which was the perfect rhythm for a 9 round burst!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I humped one for a year when I was in the USMC (79-83). I was an 0351.....but for a year I was an 0331.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I dig the pig. Each MMG has it's pros and cons, and the pig is lighter and more ergonomic to use while moving. The M240 is a better weapon hands down, but it's heavier and not at all wasy to shoot on the move.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had them in the CG, I was at a small boat station and we had an M60 that was on the 41’ boat...then on the larger patrol boats I was on..when I stepped up to a medium endurance cutter we had 50s....

We switched to the M240B around 2000....those were very nice...cool thing was we only ever had to carry it from the armory to the boat...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post