SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Magpul UBR 2.0
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magpul UBR 2.0 Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
LOL Ahhhh....the ACR. I remember saying "I will have one of those the day they come out."

Still waiting. Big Grin

I put the UBR 1.0 on mine. It is a hefty thing, isn't it? But I like it so far.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
some of the high power guys are lamenting the new stocks, since they are supposedly lighter,

as in you want a heavier stock in high power

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I'd just like a UBR that doesn't shake itself to pieces. Put one on a .308 I built. After 60 rounds all 4 of the small Allen head screws holding on the fixed cheekpiece to the tube were gone. They striped out the threads inside the tube. Sent it back for repairs. Came back with a new tube and assured me the screws were Loctite'd in. Next shooting session same results. Though after 50 rounds I do still have one of the screws, only because it hit me in the face when it came out, landing in my lap.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps that's one of the fixes that keeps bringing them back to the drawing board. I'll say this- when the thing finally appears, it had better be perfection.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
First I've heard of issues with the UBR. I have probably close to 700rnds through a 716 with one and no issues. Along with several on 5.56 guns that have been problem free as well. My concern with the 2.0 is will it be as sturdy.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FALna45
posted Hide Post
Thread revival.....
Ordered a 2.0 today from the big Brown gun part supplier in Iowa who claimed they're in stock.
With a $10 off coupon and the discounted from list price it should deliver 7/20 for $164.31

Fyi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yeah, i can teach you how to read the book of life...
or you can just look at the pictures if you like

Posts: 235 | Location: SE MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
LOL Ahhhh....the ACR. I remember saying "I will have one of those the day they come out."

Still waiting. Big Grin

Why ... I've had one for at least 2 years, I think they're out of production now but they're still on GunBroker, I believe Remington got the parts when they bought Bushmaster ... I needed a thicker barrel shim (could have sent it in for warranty but didn't) ... someone was making a 300BO barrel for a while but not sure if they still are.

Most SCAR16 owners upgrade their stock to the ACR stock, the ACR will use any AR trigger group but you have to either modify the hammer spring or re-use the old one ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Most SCAR owners? I'd dispute that and ask for factual proof.

Some, yes. But I tried an ACR stock on my 17 and didn't like it, so off it went.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Some, yes. But I tried an ACR stock on my 17 and didn't like it, so off it went.

I'm sure your right, most is probably an unintentional exaggeration. When I was on the ACR boards there were always people looking for ACR folding stock and complaining about the stock on the SCAR and often times saying their stocks were flimsy or had broken.

I don't remember people looking to replace the 17 stocks, why were you wanting to replace yours?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
According to this website there are actually some in stock.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.c...6e&mc_eid=886196679e

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FALna45
posted Hide Post
I received mine today, looks and feels as nice as i expected.
hope to install this evening, pics to follow

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yeah, i can teach you how to read the book of life...
or you can just look at the pictures if you like

Posts: 235 | Location: SE MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aim has a couple color options (Black & FDE) in stock right now.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I'm sure your right, most is probably an unintentional exaggeration. When I was on the ACR boards there were always people looking for ACR folding stock and complaining about the stock on the SCAR and often times saying their stocks were flimsy or had broken.

I don't remember people looking to replace the 17 stocks, why were you wanting to replace yours?
They use the same stock (SCARs, 16, 17).

I just wanted to try something different. Not a must have by any stretch - actually more difficult to operate OEM stock.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FALna45:
I received mine today, looks and feels as nice as i expected.
hope to install this evening, pics to follow
How's it working for you? Did you go with an A5 buffer, or a carbine buffer? To me, one of the great advantages of this stock is the A5-length extension.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Do I need anything special to make this stock work with a DPMS/SR-25 pattern gun?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, so I built a lower (my Nodak gray lower finally came in) and the gen2 UBR is finally available, so I invested in one.

Just some quick observations:

• Lighter than the original UBR but still heavy.

• Closed, the 2.0 UBR is longer than the original. Magpul wisely lengthened the receiver extension to accommodate A5 and SR25 recoil systems. You can use a carbine buffer and spring with this, but once you understand the advantages of Vltor's A5 system, you'll want to take advantage of this stock's capability to use it.
    My UBR is mated to a 16" barrel with a carbine gas system. Rifles in this configuration, generally speaking, are over-gassed, so I run heavier than normal buffers as a rule. If I were using the carbine recoil system, I would run an H2 buffer, and when I put my can on it, I'd switch to an H3. In the case of this rifle, I'm using Vltor's H3 buffer, which is 6.08 ounces. I just assembled it yesterday, so no range time as of yet, but I anticipate a smooth-shooting rifle.

• The stock adjustment presets are gone. With the original UBR, you can set preset stock positions to open the stock quickly to those positions. No such thing on the 2.0. Adjustment to your desired position will be slower. I doubt anyone is going to make a habit of simply extending the stock fully, since this position has an LOP two inches longer than an A2 stock.

• The ability to attach a monopod to the stock is gone.

• The QD swivel sockets are actually useful now, being rotation-limited.

• Unlike the original UBR, Dedicated tools are required to assemble/disassemble the 2.0 stock and although I'm not likely to take off this stock anytime soon, I consider the need for dedicated tools to be a disadvantage. If ever you buy one of these stocks used, make sure the tools come with it.

• Last but not least, the lockup. Wow. Y'know, the original UBR is a solid stock, just this side of behaving like a fixed stock. However, there is just the slightest bit of play in my original UBR. It ain't much but it's there. The 2.0? Wow. For all practical purposes, this is an adjustable fixed stock. Once you set it to the position you want, it's a fixed stock. I've twisted and pulled on my stock and I'll be damned if I can detect even a micron of play. Very impressive.

In conclusion, I like it

•