SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Primary Arms ACSS FFP or SFP?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primary Arms ACSS FFP or SFP? Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
Looking at a Primary arms 1-6x24 with the ACSS retical for my 7.62x39 AK-47. Not sure if I want first or second focal plane.

Or is there other suggestions for a 1-6 300blk or 7.62x39 scope?

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Do you understand the differences and how they might affect how you use the gun?

My initial reaction (but not necessarily correct) is that an AK-type rifle is unlikely to be used for purposes that would benefit from a first focal plane scope. And because there are drawbacks to the FFP sight, without knowing anything else about your intentions or situation, I would recommend second focal plane.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Do you understand the differences and how they might affect how you use the gun?

My initial reaction (but not necessarily correct) is that an AK-type rifle is unlikely to be used for purposes that would benefit from a first focal plane scope. And because there are drawbacks to the FFP sight, without knowing anything else about your intentions or situation, I would recommend second focal plane.

This.

FFP becomes desirable mainly with long range guns/optics that need to have a consistent dope regardless of magnification.

The tradeoffs of FFP are apparently clarity, light transmission, and exit pupil.

For a 1-6 I would lean towards SFP.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I do understand the differences. I'm just not sure if it really matters to me.

SFP is about half the price.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
I'm just not sure if it really matters to me.

It becomes important with certain types and ways of shooting.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to jump in here, but....

Would you just "dial in" an SFP scope at say 400 yards and 6x (or maybe 4x) and just accept that at other zoom settings the dope would be off?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I'm just not sure if it really matters to me.

It becomes important with certain types and ways of shooting.

I don't plan on leaving the scope on the rifle all the time. I will probably only use it for shots at 100 yards and greater. I would rather have irons for anything less than 100.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't plan on leaving the scope on the rifle all the time. I will probably only use it for shots at 100 yards and greater. I would rather have irons for anything less than 100.

IMO this is a very impractical plan. You should consider how much shooting you will do on either side of 100 yards, and how often you will be remounting the scope. With some scope/mount/rifle combos, remounting may result in a noticeable change in zero.

You should consider using one sighting tool the works for any type of targets you intend to shoot.

I think SFP would work better for an AK

Understand that the ACSS reticle isn't designed for the drop of an AK. You may find that your drops are noticeably greater than those predicted in the reticle.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a 1x6 scope, why would you take it off?
It's pretty much a red dot on 1x.
I can clearly see the horseshoe and chevron with both eyes open.

I have this scope in 1x6 and 1x8 both SFP.

I have one QD mount and after putting it on and looking at it I was thinking, why in the fuck did I spend more money on a QD mount that I will never need to remove?

Maybe a red dot and swing out magnifier would suit your needs better.

I tried that route first and didn't like it.
Even if I didn't have astigmatism I probably would have switched to a scope.

quote:
Sorry to jump in here, but....

Would you just "dial in" an SFP scope at say 400 yards and 6x (or maybe 4x) and just accept that at other zoom settings the dope would be off?

Yes,SFP scopes are zeroed on the highest power.
On my 1x BDC scopes they are zeroed at 100 yds on the highest power.
On lower power I just use the chevron as normal and don't bother with the BDC.

But you can leave them on the highest power and leave the front cap closed for close range shots and flip it open for long range.
Shooting with occluded sights is only good for up to so far before your shots are way off.
You'll have to see how far you can get out before the shots start wandering off to get an idea.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have found that the FFP scopes I have looked through would not be much use to me due to not really being able to see the hashes in a way that would be useful at anything less than max zoom.

As far as low power optics, most are used at 1x or max zoom. Not much in between. I can see how the Trijicon 1-8 may be useful as a FFP because you may use it at less than max power.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I have found that the FFP scopes I have looked through would not be much use to me due to not really being able to see the hashes in a way that would be useful at anything less than max zoom.

As far as low power optics, most are used at 1x or max zoom. Not much in between. I can see how the Trijicon 1-8 may be useful as a FFP because you may use it at less than max power.

I regularly use my 1-6 and 1-5 power scopes at intermediate magnification ranges. Particularly on smallish targets at ranges from 75-200 yards.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with fritz. Unless you have some specific need (and I sure can't see it, at least if I compare the reasonable range of any AK I own and ammo I shoot) you will be way happier with a SFP scope.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post