SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrel break in procedure,whats yours?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel break in procedure,whats yours? Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I aint got no break-in procedure...

Posts: 5138 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
WI= Cheese curds, adult toy stores, a Culver's every 10mi and gun barrels.

Thinking about it...thats not so bad. Lol

It might seem that way if you never leave the interstate.

Here is what really separates WI culture from most other states: lakes everywhere, with awesome fishing (even more lakes than MN, which has "land of 10k lakes" as it's motto.)

Taverns everywhere. We have the most per capita in the country for a populated state, only ND and MT have more per capita, but they have less than a million residents each.

Deer hunting fanaticism. We actually have schools that shut down during the 10 day gun season, and people who wear Realtree to semi-formal events.

Snowmobiling fanaticism. We have the most miles of snowmobile trails of any state. Neighboring MN is second place. Teenagers ride their sleds to school in the winter. People go through drive-throughs on sleds.

Dairy farms everywhere. Even in the north woods, you will see a few dairy farms cleared out among the forests.

But anyhow....I am another one who has decided that barrel break-in doesn't do anything special, especially on a quality barrel that is already quite smooth.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
What seems to be some type of "consensus" or perhaps just observation in F-class circles is that stainless steel barrels (not really any other kind in F-class,) seem to get to their best precision at about 150 rounds, give or take and break-in or no-break-in.

So what we do is start developing a load right off the bat and then then fine-tune it if needed after that milestone.

The 6.5X284 crowd change their barrel at some point north of 1000 rounds. The 7mm do that north of 2,000 to 2,500 rounds and the .308 crowd will do that north of 4,000 rounds. So 150 rounds or so has a greater impact on the hot rods as compared to the slowpokes.

So, do whatever break-in procedure pleases you or none at all, but after 100 to 150 rounds, that will be as good as it gets.

Barrel treatments have a great impact on that number.

I have a factory-barreled 700 AAC-SD (not SS) that started out around 1 MOA, and gradually tightened up over the first 300 rounds. It is now consistently under .5 MOA, but I haven't cleaned it for a few hundred rounds. It will be interesting to see what happens if I remove the copper.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DamageInc:

Here is what really separates WI culture from most other states: lakes everywhere, with awesome fishing (even more lakes than MN, which has "land of 10k lakes" as it's motto.)

Taverns everywhere. We have the most per capita in the country for a populated state, only ND and MT have more per capita, but they have less than a million residents each.

Deer hunting fanaticism. We actually have schools that shut down during the 10 day gun season, and people who wear Realtree to semi-formal events.

Snowmobiling fanaticism. We have the most miles of snowmobile trails of any state. Neighboring MN is second place. Teenagers ride their sleds to school in the winter. People go through drive-throughs on sleds.

Dairy farms everywhere. Even in the north woods, you will see a few dairy farms cleared out among the forests.

But anyhow....I am another one who has decided that barrel break-in doesn't do anything special, especially on a quality barrel that is already quite smooth.

All tongue in cheek my friend...

At one point lived in a tiny place on Little Lake Butte de Morts. Spent many summers at Stevens Lake near Alvin at a good friends cabin. Grouse every September, deer every fall. Wife and I built our own cabin close enough to WI that I can literally spit across the river from MI. Many hours touring the SW corner horse shopping.

Follow the Pack, ignore Da Bears.

FISH by address, but cheesehead at heart. Wink

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read several articles on barrel break-in and then went out and shot the shit out of my new 308. I'll probably do it again before I try cleaning.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
quote:

All tongue in cheek my friend...

At one point lived in a tiny place on Little Lake Butte de Morts. Spent many summers at Stevens Lake near Alvin at a good friends cabin. Grouse every September, deer every fall. Wife and I built our own cabin close enough to WI that I can literally spit across the river from MI. Many hours touring the SW corner horse shopping.

Follow the Pack, ignore Da Bears.

FISH by address, but cheesehead at heart. Wink

You're only a fish if you're a fishtab, otherwise you're a fib. Wink

And the snowmobiling crap around here is super annoying.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just shoot it.

Yep

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
I clean all barrels when new. Then shoot em until the accuracy falls off. Tend to clean a little more at first then they settle in.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
We actually have...people who wear Realtree to semi-formal events.

Just about everywhere does.

Most know better than to brag about it, though.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
What seems to be some type of "consensus" or perhaps just observation in F-class circles is that stainless steel barrels (not really any other kind in F-class,) seem to get to their best precision at about 150 rounds, give or take and break-in or no-break-in.

So what we do is start developing a load right off the bat and then then fine-tune it if needed after that milestone.

The 6.5X284 crowd change their barrel at some point north of 1000 rounds. The 7mm do that north of 2,000 to 2,500 rounds and the .308 crowd will do that north of 4,000 rounds. So 150 rounds or so has a greater impact on the hot rods as compared to the slowpokes.

So, do whatever break-in procedure pleases you or none at all, but after 100 to 150 rounds, that will be as good as it gets.

Barrel treatments have a great impact on that number.

I have a factory-barreled 700 AAC-SD (not SS) that started out around 1 MOA, and gradually tightened up over the first 300 rounds. It is now consistently under .5 MOA, but I haven't cleaned it for a few hundred rounds. It will be interesting to see what happens if I remove the copper.

The life cycle of a chrome-molybdenum barrel is somewhat different than the one of a stainless steel barrel. They can both be equally precise for shooting, one is not better than the other. The reasons I choose stainless steel are as follows:

1- I have more choices of barrels in SS.
2- I get my barrels bead blasted to enhance cooling. I find blued barrels get hotter and stay hot longer.
3- I don't worry about the finish on a stainless steel barrel. No matter how well you take care of them, they do get banged up.
4- The precision lifespan of CM and SS are pretty much identical, but whereas a CM barrel will slowly degrade, SS barrels are know to just die an ugly death even during a match. The throat erosion will appear like a dry lake bed on an SS barrel and when one or more of those chips go leave, the barrel goes to heck right away. That's your signal right there.
5- I change barrels way before that happens so I can use my old barrels as tomato plant stakes and they don't rust as fast as CM barrels used for the same purpose.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
We actually have...people who wear Realtree to semi-formal events.

Just about everywhere does.

Most know better than to brag about it, though.

Smile

I wasn't bragging, and I wouldn't do that. I was just pointing out things that separate WI culture from most other states. Most states have deer hunters, but not like WI does.