SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Barrel break in procedure,whats yours?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel break in procedure,whats yours? Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I have a new Savage rifle in 6.5 Creedmoore.
I want to start things off right and that will start with breaking in the barrel.
My primary purpose is target shooting.

What do you do to break in a new barrel.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
First you must start with the right seasoning...
Personally, while I started with a blend specifically for beef, Ive found DilloDust and coarse ground premium black pepper to be my favorite.

And with THAT I will let the party begin.

(Hold on...you WILL get your answer... Big Grin)

BTW...half planning on a trip to Buffalo Rock this coming Friday to test some load development for the .308 if youre interested in linking up.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
First you must start with the right seasoning...
Personally, while I started with a blend specifically for beef, Ive found DilloDust and coarse ground premium black pepper to be my favorite.

And with THAT I will let the party begin.

(Hold on...you WILL get your answer... Big Grin)

BTW...half planning on a trip to Buffalo Rock this coming Friday to test some load development for the .308 if youre interested in linking up.

I swear you used Lawry's...

As for OP's actual question, I used to pay attention to that shit. Never seemed to matter, all the little steps.

I've shortcutted it a bit.

Shoot 5. Wet patch. Shoot 5. Wet patch. Shoot 10. Clean with copper killer.

Then shoot the piss out of it and clean it maybe every 6-700 rounds. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Barrel break in, is unnecessary. Just shoot it.

I say this as someone who has religiously done break in on some expensive rifles, and not done it on some expensive rifles.

You're more than welcome to break in a barrel, it won't hurt the gun. But, it's not going to hurt it to not break it in either.

Just shoot it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I had a custom bolt rifle built a couple years ago. Spent a bunch of money on it. I've probably put 300-400 rounds through it.

I think I'm going to clean it for the first time soon.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Everybody likes to break in the barrel on their super expensive, custom, fancy rifle, but they just go and shoot their el cheapo factory rifle. Ironically, the more expensive the rifle, the less likely it needs a break-in because the barrel is higher quality and was likely hand lapped.

A new barrel can have tooling marks. In theory, this can increase the rate of copper fouling. The break-in is essentially just fire lapping those tooling marks out. "Breaking in" is just an increased rate of cleaning to prevent the increased rate of copper fouling from building up. Some say to just shoot and enjoy, like Arc is saying. The other extreme says to shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean, for 10 rounds, then do 3 shots and clean, until you aren't seeing any copper. BTW, you should be using a copper solvent, like Benchrest, Sweets, Montana Extreme, or one of the bazillion others out there that smell of ammonia.

Because I am a hand loader, I use my own loads and generally use a powder that is copper reducing. This seems to negate the need to worry about much copper accumulation. I have gone out and run 20-30 rounds out of a new barrel, and have almost no copper showing after getting home to clean.

If you don't hand load, maybe try some Federal factory ammo to do your break-in. I understand they use Alliant powders, and most of Alliant's (rifle) powders have included copper reducers for some time now.

WRT Alliant powders and decoppering agents, see this post from Alliant Powders:
http://forum.accurateshooter.c...l26-powders.3861546/
quote:

(snip)

We are using quite a bit of this powder in our Federal factory ammo due to the fantastic ballistics and accuracy.
Both of these new Reloders contain decoppering agent to help reduce coppering up your barrels, but this is nothing new for us. Bofors began adding decoppering agent to our Reloder rifle powders in the 2002 timeframe, and all our Swiss Reloders except 17 contain their proprietary additive. (We may include it in 17 at some point also, but right now we like it just the way it is.) Sorry we didn't have a snappy name figured for the decoppering agents, we just did it.

(snip)

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Everybody likes to break in the barrel on their super expensive, custom, fancy rifle, but they just go and shoot their el cheapo factory rifle. Ironically, the more expensive the rifle, the less likely it needs a break-in because the barrel is higher quality and was likely hand lapped.

A new barrel can have tooling marks. In theory, this can increase the rate of copper fouling. The break-in is essentially just fire lapping those tooling marks out. "Breaking in" is just an increased rate of cleaning to prevent the increased rate of copper fouling from building up. Some say to just shoot and enjoy, like Arc is saying. The other extreme says to shoot one, clean, shoot one, clean, for 10 rounds, then do 3 shots and clean, until you aren't seeing any copper. BTW, you should be using a copper solvent, like Benchrest, Sweets, Montana Extreme, or one of the bazillion others out there that smell of ammonia.

Because I am a hand loader, I use my own loads and generally use a powder that is copper reducing. This seems to negate the need to worry about much copper accumulation. I have gone out and run 20-30 rounds out of a new barrel, and have almost no copper showing after getting home to clean.

If you don't hand load, maybe try some Federal factory ammo to do your break-in. I understand they use Alliant powders, and most of Alliant's (rifle) powders have included copper reducers for some time now.

WRT Alliant powders and decoppering agents, see this post from Alliant Powders:
http://forum.accurateshooter.c...l26-powders.3861546/
quote:

(snip)

We are using quite a bit of this powder in our Federal factory ammo due to the fantastic ballistics and accuracy.
Both of these new Reloders contain decoppering agent to help reduce coppering up your barrels, but this is nothing new for us. Bofors began adding decoppering agent to our Reloder rifle powders in the 2002 timeframe, and all our Swiss Reloders except 17 contain their proprietary additive. (We may include it in 17 at some point also, but right now we like it just the way it is.) Sorry we didn't have a snappy name figured for the decoppering agents, we just did it.

(snip)

The idea behind cleaning the copper out every shot is to expose the toolmarks, giving the next bullet the opportunity to wear them down just a little more.

In theory.

In practice, I just shoot the damn things anymore. I go through barrels too quickly to worry about break-in. I'd spend half my life cleaning. LOL

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Steel banging
beer snob
Picture of jlemmy
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time I used to follow a break in procedure. Hell I used to even have my barrels painted. Now I look at barrels as "shoes" for rifles. They are an expendable item on the rifle.

Now I simply clean when done on the first few range trips of a new tube. This is the pressure hunt, OCW and fine tuning phase. After the load is dialed in not so much. I've not noticed any difference so I see it as time I could be spending on the loading bench.

Happiness is having to climb in your car to change your target.

Posts: 2469 | Location: Nowhere Fun | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Every time this subject comes up I Get a fond Memory of Dad (R.I.P.10-27-01)
My first time buying a NIB Rifle I was researching barrel Break in, And He Laughed at me and Said Just shoot the dam thing and keep it clean. And I pretty much do as my Dad says,

OP Thanks for Bring this up and giving me a Sunday Morning tear in the eye, And Making me want to go Shoot DADS Model 70 Winchester

Posts: 1601 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
Every time this subject comes up I Get a fond Memory of Dad (R.I.P.10-27-01)
My first time buying a NIB Rifle I was researching barrel Break in, And He Laughed at me and Said Just shoot the dam thing and keep it clean. And I pretty much do as my Dad says,

OP Thanks for Bring this up and giving me a Sunday Morning tear in the eye, And Making me want to go Shoot DADS Model 70 Winchester

I feel the same way when I take my Grandfathers Winchester Mdl 12 out to the range. Can't beat that feeling sad and happy both at the same time. Sure cleanses the soul.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:

The idea behind cleaning the copper out every shot is to expose the toolmarks, giving the next bullet the opportunity to wear them down just a little more.

In theory.

This is what a local barrel maker/gunsmith has told me. He's been making cut rifle/5R barrels for 40yrs, one of the top barrel makers in the country. Shoot one, clean using a copper cleaner..... until no copper is coming out. Might take 3 rounds might take 17rds...

A bore scope shows me Boretech Copper remover and Boretech Carbon remover are excellent products. I believe the days of the ammonia based cleaners are behind us.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Clean the barrel,
infact clean the gun 100%, scrub that barrel with a good bronze brush and the lube per mfg instructions,

then,

shoot, shoot shoot,

saying to clean first cause I have actually had folks bring back rifles and handguns that 'did not work,, must be broke'
when asked if they cleaned them first, esp the bore,,, blank stare,,, 'was i supposed to do that?'

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

In theory.

This is what a local barrel maker/gunsmith has told me. He's been making cut rifle/5R barrels for 40yrs, one of the top barrel makers in the country. Shoot one, clean using a copper cleaner..... until no copper is coming out. Might take 3 rounds might take 17rds...

A bore scope shows me Boretech Copper remover and Boretech Carbon remover are excellent products. I believe the days of the ammonia based cleaners are behind us.

There are top barrel makers NOT in WI? Big Grin

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
WI= Cheese curds, adult toy stores, a Culver's every 10mi and gun barrels.

Thinking about it...thats not so bad. Lol

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In theory.

Ya, it's interesting how several barrels makers are in Wisconsin or ties to Wisconsin.... Chanlynn grew up in Wisconsin, trained by Obermeyer in Wisconsin... So you either ice fish or make barrels to past the time in the winter, what else is there to do? Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What seems to be some type of "consensus" or perhaps just observation in F-class circles is that stainless steel barrels (not really any other kind in F-class,) seem to get to their best precision at about 150 rounds, give or take and break-in or no-break-in.

So what we do is start developing a load right off the bat and then then fine-tune it if needed after that milestone.

The 6.5X284 crowd change their barrel at some point north of 1000 rounds. The 7mm do that north of 2,000 to 2,500 rounds and the .308 crowd will do that north of 4,000 rounds. So 150 rounds or so has a greater impact on the hot rods as compared to the slowpokes.

So, do whatever break-in procedure pleases you or none at all, but after 100 to 150 rounds, that will be as good as it gets.

Barrel treatments have a great impact on that number.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

In theory.

Ya, it's interesting how several barrels makers are in Wisconsin or ties to Wisconsin.... Chanlynn grew up in Wisconsin, trained by Obermeyer in Wisconsin... So you either ice fish or make barrels to past the time in the winter, what else is there to do? Big Grin

Drink? Big Grin

https://www.wpr.org/wisconsin-...-country-study-finds

posted Hide Post
Drunken cheese heads ice fishing with a thick stainless steel rod. Now there's a picture.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I just shoot them and clean them after.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I just shoot them and clean them after.

Me too.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post