SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    GEW 88 Question (New question added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GEW 88 Question (New question added) Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
I just bought an 1890 Danzig GEW 88 on GB. I Googled for the answer and came up empty. Rifle is "S" marked for spitzer bullet. It doesn't have the receiver notch, the thumb depression for stripper clip loading or stripper clip guides.
The question I have is: Can I use the original Mannlicher style clip with spitzer ammo? I will be slugging the bore for safety.

New question:

Got the rifle, it's a beauty.

I want to slug the bore, what size lead bullet do I need to do it & what size dowel will I need? Already have calipers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Or at least it worked for me!
I stick with US factory stuff, since I've been told it's loaded way less hot than Euro stuff or surplus.
Do you have original clips, or repro?

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
It didn't come with clips. Which are better, repro or original?

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your bore is .318” and you reload then I have a few hundred .318” softpoint bullets you can have.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dae Zee:
If your bore is .318” and you reload then I have a few hundred .318” softpoint bullets you can have.

Thanks for your generous offer! Unfortunately I don't reload.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
It didn't come with clips. Which are better, repro or original?

From what I hear, original, but.... tough finding them, at least from what I can see.. repro work, but you might have to tweak them a bit to get good feeding.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could certainly load one at a time, like a single shot rifle.

Definitely check you chamber size before firing. I think the “S” stamp on the receiver is a good sign. That tells me it was likely rechambered for the 8mm round. Mine has that stamp, but it also has the “ears” for the stripper clips and the notch for using them. It does shoot the 8mm spitzer round. Kicks like a mule. Pull it tight to your shoulder and shoot from a standing position. This minimizes the kick.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Bought a clip on GB last night. Comes with 5 rounds of round nose 1939 dated ammo which I'll keep as collectable ammo.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Bump w/new question in OP.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
quote:

I want to slug the bore, what size lead bullet do I need to do it & what size dowel will I need? Already have calipers.

I slugged the barrel of my Mosin 91/30. Should be a similar process for you.
When I get home tonight I will reply with what I did (unless someone else can reply sooner).

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the guide I used. Hope it helps.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
This is the guide I used. Hope it helps.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

PC

PCWyoming-

Thanks for the link! I have everything but lead & dowels.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Picked up dowels & lead fishing weights. I checked the weights w/my caliper. They gauge .35 & .308. Is the .35 too large? Or can I hammer the .308 into an oval shape & get an accurate reading off that?

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
I would flatten out the .308 one as you do not want the .35 one to get stuck in your barrel.

Just my $.02.

PC

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Ran about 100 patches through it, bore was FILTHY. No patches got caught or shredded so I think it's OK, just a little frosted. But when I took the bolt out, idiot me flipped the safety on Roll Eyes . Gonna learn how to take it apart. Hope it's no more difficult than a Mauser bolt. Slugging the bore this afternoon, I'll report back.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Slugged the bore. I need larger lead to do it correctly. Used .308 fishing weight, mic'd out .311 with old school & dial calipers. The .35 lead is too large. Need a .325-.33 bullet I think. At least I unFUBAR'd the bolt with no damage or flying parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Would #4 lead shot (.325" diameter) work?

-Bomber Harris