SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Can the AR Market possibly get any softer? DPMS ARs are BOGO $649
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the AR Market possibly get any softer? DPMS ARs are BOGO $649 Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Just got a flyer from Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA.

They are advertising DPMS Panther AR for $649 BOGO. Buy one get one for $649 after rebate. I know these aren't top of the line rifles. But still!

Even just to have as a spare parts gun that's a stupid deal.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's stupid cheap. It would almost be worth buying just to be able to say I bought a new AR for under $350.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CDNN had Ruger Ar-15's for $499 and are currently selling Anderson's for $499. I have also seen the S&W Sport II for $499.

Posts: 634 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Wow, that's stupid cheap. It would almost be worth buying just to be able to say I bought a new AR for under $350.

That's literally the definition of truck gun. Throw the thing on a 4 wheeler and drag it through the woods just cause I can.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the political climate over the past 8-something years (and actually, further back), it's not surprising that low-end AR-15s are so cheap right now. Many of us are part of the demand/supply/cost cycles. I'm now to the point I have more than enough AR-15s to last me the rest of my life. Unless the highly unlikely event of receiver set failure occurs, my AR purchases going forward are likely only to be wear parts -- barrel, gas rings, bolt, etc. Maybe an optic upgrade down the road, but that's it.

Sure, I could buy a value-line AR for prices that are as silly low today as they were silly high a few years ago. But why? I won't shoot a value-line AR very much, as my higher-end ARs are configured almost exactly as I want. I wouldn't share parts from the value-line AR with my higher-end rifles -- if something fails, I will replace those parts with high-end parts.

For $350:
- I can get 1,000 rounds of FMJ training ammo, or
- I can enter a regional match and travel to it, or
- I can pay for a decent one-day training course
All of which will make me a better shooter. Another AR won't make me a better shooter -- it will only take up space in my safe.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Given the political climate over the past 8-something years (and actually, further back), it's not surprising that low-end AR-15s are so cheap right now. Many of us are part of the demand/supply/cost cycles. I'm now to the point I have more than enough AR-15s to last me the rest of my life. Unless the highly unlikely event of receiver set failure occurs, my AR purchases going forward are likely only to be wear parts -- barrel, gas rings, bolt, etc. Maybe an optic upgrade down the road, but that's it.

Sure, I could buy a value-line AR for prices that are as silly low today as they were silly high a few years ago. But why? I won't shoot a value-line AR very much, as my higher-end ARs are configured almost exactly as I want. I wouldn't share parts from the value-line AR with my higher-end rifles -- if something fails, I will replace those parts with high-end parts.

For $350:
All of which will make me a better shooter. Another AR won't make me a better shooter -- it will only take up space in my safe.

very valid points and I am in the same position as you, (still have several lowers that I have had for almost 8 yrs that have not been put together)

however

there are those new to the AR world that if they have not bought one yet, now is the time to buy,

I would say they will never be cheaper, but everytime I do, they are

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

For $350:

There's a lot of wisdom in this post!

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
there are those new to the AR world that if they have not bought one yet, now is the time to buy

Exactly. Any person without an AR, who thinks at some time in their life they might want an AR, should jump in now. Fifty years from now, with little Johnny on his knee, Grampa can reminisce about them thar cheap-as-hell ARs that he bought way back in '17.

For those of us who have a handful or four of them already -- the current prices are great for the value-line ARs. Absolutely amazing. The prices for top-end ARs don't seem to change all that much, however. Regardless, until a shooter is wearing out multiple barrels due to throat erosion, there comes a point where additional investment in carbines/rifles themselves doesn't make sense.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Regardless of whether you have one or a hundred ARs, now is a good time to buy an entry-level AR if you want one.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Fritz stockpile wise. I have receivers, KAC rail systems, bolt, everything except bbls, really. My next rifle will probably be an MCX. It's unlikely to be an AR since I can custom build whatever I want from the pile of parts that I already have.

So I understand how some AR OGs might find their priorities elsewhere.

But for everyone else that isn't sitting on top of a pile of receivers and LPKs:

Just don't come back on the eve of the next election and whine to me that you could have gotten two for $700, but now you're paying $900 for one.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I get calls and text messages from many people who I work with or know asking me if brand "X" is a good AR or not. There's still a lot of new shooters purchasing these rifles. I think the only "soft" market for AR's are the mid-level quality rifles. Daniel Defense and BCM (higher end) are continuously out of stock when I check their site.

DPMS and S&W (what I perceive as mid-level) are being forced to lower their prices to compete with the true low end AR manufacturers. This time last year a S&W MP15 was just under $800.
That's perceived as expensive to shooters who aren't familiar with the platform.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
If you play their email specials right, you can seperately buy a PSA Freedom quality complete upper and a blem complete lower for a total of $380 shipped. Eek

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
But for everyone else that isn't sitting on top of a pile of receivers and LPKs:
Just don't come back on the eve of the next election and whine to me that you could have gotten two for $700, but now you're paying $900 for one.

Bingo -- not the first time you've stated this. Likely won't be the last. I vaguely recall a sticky thread somewhere on said subject.
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Daniel Defense and BCM (higher end) are continuously out of stock when I check their site.

Yep. I don't watch the sites like I did at one time, however the more pricey ARs still seem to sell at non-discounted prices.

On a somewhat related note, I've seen a Krieger match AR barrel on sale recently. Rather unusual to see such a product at a discount. But the sale price is still a little higher than what I paid some 2-3 years ago for the exact same barrel. I think Krieger raised prices last year. Maybe the higher-end components market is getting a little soft, too.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Daniel Defense and BCM (higher end) are continuously out of stock when I check their site.

DD is supposedly just now catching up on their backlog.

DD and BCM rifles are still moving, though I expect the high end rifles will take a hit a some point.

I suspect even their retailers will start canceling orders which may have helped clear some of the backlog.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

DD is supposedly just now catching up on their backlog.

DD and BCM rifles are still moving, though I expect the high end rifles will take a hit a some point.

I suspect even their retailers will start canceling orders which may have helped clear some of the backlog.

I suspect you're right on with that assumption. It wasn't that long ago that BCM was giving away a free BCG with the purchase of an upper to help boost sales. Last year at this time they discounted their BCG $100 with the purchase of an upper.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
Every 5-8 years there seems to come along a low price gun of reasonable quality that seems too good to pass up.

When I look back, I can still recall these regrets:

* I should have bought a EAA / Russian made double barreled coach gun in 12 gauge for $300 when I had the chance. Time: Perhaps 13 years ago.

* I should have bought an SLR-5 in 5.45x39 mm for $500 when I had the chance. Time: Perhaps 13 years ago.

* I should have bought an SGL-21 fixed stock for $560 when I had the chance. Prices were quite low as a promotion when they first came to the U. S. market. Time: Perhaps 6 years ago.

I came across the S&W crazy cheap Shield deal this past week from Palmetto State Armory. The average price per gun that I buy "out of the door" at the gun store post transfer fee will be $235. I remembered the "regrets" above and moved on getting some cheap guns of decent quality.

The "cheap" mid-level ARs are akin to the S&W shield above. I can keep a S&W Shield in my car in a lock box, for example, and not "worry" about having a $600 to $1000 gun in my car 24/7. I can also have a shield in my bathroom in a lock box... I won't fret as much about the threat of rust or moisture damage compared to a gun that I cost me 3-4 times as much. I can also put a Shield in a bug out bag as a stock item for that price. Forward to a "cheap" AR... I can keep one in my trunk and not fret about having a $1000 or $1600 AR in my car.

These deals are an inexpensive way to allow myself to be armed in more situations and/or have a gun nearby in more settings. In that, I see utility. I also agree with others who have stated that the low prices of today lower the entry cost for new shooters and gun owners. Now is the time for them to come along and "buy" into being a new gun owner.

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pick up a BCM upper a couple of years back when they were offering a free bcg (great buy), just recently pick up an other high quality AR for about $600.00 less than they were five months ago. Like others mention right now is the time to buy but also have the feeling that all gun related stuff may get even cheaper as desperation set in for some manufacturers.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention I pick up a LWRC FDE AR15 in lIke new condition for $1300.00 (retails for about $2200.00) even with some spare parts included, I almost felt bad for the guy I got it from.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
I bet they're still making money.Probably using cheap Chinese imported furniture and cast lpk components and 10lb gritty triggers.

But for $500 -$600 you can assemble a very nice AR with many premium features and a very nice quality trigger compared to what you find in stores.I will only stoop so low.Let the kids have the cheap stuff.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
We are at peak AR.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by awa762:
Every 5-8 years there seems to come along a low price gun of reasonable quality that seems too good to pass up.

When I look back, I can still recall these regrets:

* I should have bought a EAA / Russian made double barreled coach gun in 12 gauge for $300 when I had the chance. Time: Perhaps 13 years ago.

* I should have bought an SLR-5 in 5.45x39 mm for $500 when I had the chance. Time: Perhaps 13 years ago.

* I should have bought an SGL-21 fixed stock for $560 when I had the chance. Prices were quite low as a promotion when they first came to the U. S. market. Time: Perhaps 6 years ago.

I came across the S&W crazy cheap Shield deal this past week from Palmetto State Armory. The average price per gun that I buy "out of the door" at the gun store post transfer fee will be $235. I remembered the "regrets" above and moved on getting some cheap guns of decent quality.

The "cheap" mid-level ARs are akin to the S&W shield above. I can keep a S&W Shield in my car in a lock box, for example, and not "worry" about having a $600 to $1000 gun in my car 24/7. I can also have a shield in my bathroom in a lock box... I won't fret as much about the threat of rust or moisture damage compared to a gun that I cost me 3-4 times as much. I can also put a Shield in a bug out bag as a stock item for that price. Forward to a "cheap" AR... I can keep one in my trunk and not fret about having a $1000 or $1600 AR in my car.

These deals are an inexpensive way to allow myself to be armed in more situations and/or have a gun nearby in more settings. In that, I see utility. I also agree with others who have stated that the low prices of today lower the entry cost for new shooters and gun owners. Now is the time for them to come along and "buy" into being a new gun owner.

I'm kicking myself for not spending the early 90's buying chinese AK's, SKS, and colt revolvers.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post