SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 Rifle Lenght Free Float Handguards??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Rifle Lenght Free Float Handguards?? Login/Join 
posted
What can you recomend for free float 12" rifle lenght handguards? Does anybody make one that is drop in, kind of like the DD Omega rail? I want to keep the A2 front sight.

Thanks

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
pretty sure daniel defense has one.

edit, nevermind. i overlooked the rifle length part. I haven't looked into that.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure there is a troy one that will play with the A2. I have not used it, but did look at before I decided to battle the taper pins.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to keep the front sight post and have a free float rail?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure why not. There are a couple of different strategies about it, but if you don't remove the front sight then you need one that uses the standard barrel nut. Like this one...https://troyind.com/products/mrf-12r-fde-0
If you are willing to remove and then reinstall the front sight base (which is what I did) you can use any good ff system (I use and like the geissle). unless I'm missing something complex about your question.

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Sure why not. There are a couple of different strategies about it, but if you don't remove the front sight then you need one that uses the standard barrel nut. Like this one...https://troyind.com/products/mrf-12r-fde-0
If you are willing to remove and then reinstall the front sight base (which is what I did) you can use any good ff system (I use and like the geissle). unless I'm missing something complex about your question.

No, I don't think you are. I thought in order to keep the front sight post, the rail needed to interface with the sight somehow. Or I just don't understand what free floating is.

Either way, don't mind me.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A free float rail is the opposite of needing to interface with the sight. If you don't need anything other than a barrel nut to support the rail the barrel is free floated. So you can have both a ff handguard and a front sight on the barrel.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I have a 13” ALG Defense Rail on my 16” carbine and will be putting a 7” Geissele rail on another carbine. The G in ALG is for Geissele.

I would recommend the ALG if you don’t need Picatinny or MLOK or Keymod mounts. I bought an accessory rail for the ALG rail which adds a small section of Picatinny Rail.

You can keep the front sight with the right length or style of rail but to be truly free floating, you’ll need to remove and reinstall the front sight. The other option, and I don’t know how solid they are, but you can put a front sight on the handrail as well,https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/rail-mounted-fixed-front-sight.html

Do you have a standard A2 rear carry handle set up?

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Centurion Arms c4 12” rail. Doesn’t drop in but it is 2 piece and uses GI barrel nut.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I have a 13” ALG Defense Rail on my 16” carbine and will be putting a 7” Geissele rail on another carbine. The G in ALG is for Geissele.

I would recommend the ALG if you don’t need Picatinny or MLOK or Keymod mounts. I bought an accessory rail for the ALG rail which adds a small section of Picatinny Rail.

You can keep the front sight with the right length or style of rail but to be truly free floating, you’ll need to remove and reinstall the front sight. The other option, and I don’t know how solid they are, but you can put a front sight on the handrail as well,https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/rail-mounted-fixed-front-sight.html

Only the early ALG EMRs were not MLOK. All of the current ones are, except for a few Keymod models that I think they've been clearing out.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

I have a detachable carry handle for it, using a Magpul MBUS now.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Hogue offers this handguard. Does that help, or have I misunderstood the question?

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post