SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to me Ruger .44 and a plea for help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Ruger .44 and a plea for help Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted
Found this one in a pawn shop for a steal, it dates from 1973 and is in pretty good shape.
I knew I wanted to ditch the crappy scope and see through rings, I broke all of my smaller screw drivers getting the first base off, I bought a nice 3/16 screw driver from Lowes that worked like a charm for the last two screws.

Anyway, I am having trouble finding the four filler plugs for the open holes. I found these

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/653380I

But I don't want stainless. I cannot find the size of these things anywhere with thread size. My google fu has failed me. I'm sure I can find them if I can get that info. Anybody that knows the size of these?

Pics

It will fit in nicely with the fam

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
They are likely one of two sizes, I thought 8/40 was one, the other smaller.

Unlikely to be at any hardware store. I went to a local gun shop, lite gunsmith when I needed such screws, brought in sample. He had them there, many in stock.

Anyway, an idea with a gun shop in the area.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I stopped in Bullseye yesterday, a local shop,was sure they could help me. I asked three different people that I have known for probably twenty years. Blank stares

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
What did Ruger say when you called them? I imagine they said we will ship the plugs out to you for free? Or perhaps, those plugs have been out of stock for a while but maybe you can check ————?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sweet- love my 1965 vintage model. If you can’t live with stainless, get them at Numrich and try and hot blue them, black oxide them, or paint them. Otherwise, looks like they will be very hard to source.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/653380I

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with Williams Gun Sights. Thats where I got my last set of plug screws.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Brownells?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! Kudos to Ruger.

I sent them an email around 11am asking for thye size of these after bubbatime commented about contacting Ruger, here is the response at 12:27. My "contact us" email required me to give email, address and phone number

I still don't know what size they are though Big Grin

posted Hide Post
They might be #6-48. Try Brownells.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
If those aren't correct a little black silicon will look good and keep those threads safe until you find the real deal.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ercarr:
They might be #6-48. Try Brownells.

I 2nd this:
https://www.brownells.com/guns..._content=080-533-640

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 5 years ago, I bought an "assortment pack " of gun screws from Brownells. I don't need one very often but when I do...this pack is a lifesaver.

I lost a tiny screw from a red dot sight a couple of days ago. Instead of spending hours trying to find the little bugger...I just pulled out a new one out of the pack. Simple...no hassle !! They are already dark, dark blue to the point of being black.

BTW...don't hold your breath till Ruger helps you... as soon as they learn the model of your gun , they will treat you like a bastard child. My best source for parts for my Ruger 44 Carbine was Numrich Arms. It's a fun gun !!

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you read this thread? I think above is a note ruger is sending what he needs gratis. OK maybe they will be wrong or stainless, but till we learn that your post is silly in this thread

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Did you read this thread? I think above is a note ruger is sending what he needs gratis. OK maybe they will be wrong or stainless, but till we learn that your post is silly in this thread

It is, may be hard to read. Here it is blown up a bit

Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
2 Thumbs up for Ruger.
I am glad they came thru

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. Ruger and S+W both have long after the sale excellent customer support.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
What did Ruger say when you called them? I imagine they said we will ship the plugs out to you for free? Or perhaps, those plugs have been out of stock for a while but maybe you can check ————?

I had a good laff over this post of yours, truly. Back in 1986 I bought a nice new Ruger Old Army BP revolver from a London gun dealership. Inside it noted that there was included a second, higher, front sight element. I looked very hard, but trust me, there really wasn't. So I wrote Ruger, pointing out that it may have been an oversight on their part, but with a gun shooting two feet high at 25 yards, I felt that I needed it. I even offered to pay, providing it wasn't an unreasonable amount.

Well, that was March 3rd, 1986, and so far, I haven't heard back...

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post