SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint Pro on an AR pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Pro on an AR pistol Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted
Is this too much on a 10.5" pistol? Has a brace. HD is the main purpose.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That's a great option.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Based on your previously expressed knowledge of A/R's, I take that as a "yes." Thanks.

Just my 2¢

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
It's not too much on my 10.5" Pistols

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If we’re just concerned about looks, I prefer the Pro-sized Aimpoints over the minis. The latter perched on top of an AR receiver always strike me as something that should be checked by a dermatologist.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
The full size does look much better than the mini.

Just my 2¢

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m planning a Pro on my 8” .300 Blackout pistol. The strength and battery life sold me on Aimpoint for serious use.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad this questions came up. I am a total noob when it comes to optics and I've been looking at red dots for a future build.

It seems to me that a hooded red dot might not be ideal for an HD situation.

Wouldn't a more open style like an Eotech. Seems to me that would provide a greater field of vision.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Wouldn't a more open style like an Eotech. Seems to me that would provide a greater field of vision.

By “hooded,” I assume you’re referring to the ones like the Aimpoint with a round field of view through a tube—? If so, many people remark about the wider field of view that they believe sights like the EOTech provide, so you’re not alone.

On the other hand, how the sight is used can eliminate any difference in the effective field of view between the two types. The secret is keeping both eyes open when scanning and watching for targets or when bringing the gun up onto an identified target.

I have Aimpoint sights on a couple of rifles and when using them even at close distances by keeping both eyes open the two images my eyes provide allow me to essentially “see through” the sights. If I focus on where a target might appear rather than the sight bodies, then the sights don’t restrict my view of the area at all.

I am not a fan of EOTech sights, and have never felt handicapped by the supposed narrower field of view through Aimpoints.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I love the PRO.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I'm glad this questions came up. I am a total noob when it comes to optics and I've been looking at red dots for a future build.

It seems to me that a hooded red dot might not be ideal for an HD situation.

Eotechs have had a lot of problems in the last few years. Problems which the Aimpoints dont appear to share.

Keep both eye open like you should and the FOV through a tube style red dot will be just fine.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Rowland, true co-witness?

Just my 2¢

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Love the way they look on an AR pistol with a fixed front sight .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have both a Aimpoint Pro and a Trijicon MRO on AR pistols and they are awesome.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3685 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post