SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Taking Sig enhanced M400 out first time today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking Sig enhanced M400 out first time today Login/Join 
posted
I've got a Vortex Strike Eagle on it. Shooting with my brother Steve at the Rod and Gun club, almost 60F in mid-February!

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay. The sig worked flawlessly with about 230 rounds. I have to say that I'm disappointed in the accuracy. Sighting it using a sandbag rest at 50m I could only get about a 2-3" group. At 200m it was more like a 6" group. Lots of fliers. I was using my Vortext Strike Eagle and I think the scope was too far back so I was not able to get a consistent cheekweld. I was using bulk Fiocchi ammo and did better with some highter quality ammo. Also, the trigger is STIFF. I think that factored in. Options to improve the trigger? I shoot much better groups with my vintage m1 carbine.

All-in-all, I AM a bit disappointed, I would have expected a 1 to 1.5" group at 50m using a rest. Any observations, suggestions? Any chance there is an issue with the rifle?

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting for groups, bulk ammo isn't the way to go. But 2-3" groups isn't bad for a battle rifle with bulk ammo.

Triggers on ARs are usually bad. My M1 Garand has an amazing trigger compared to the stock triggers that an AR has. Replacing the stock trigger is usually one of the first things you want to do. I am waiting for Geisselle's single stage to hit the market for my BCM M4A1 clone. I have a RRA two stage in my M16A4 clone, and my Gen 1 Sig556 has a decent two stage. They are good for range work, but I am not a fan of the reset for action shooting. But I know a lot of competitors in 3 gun like them.

And moving the scope forward should be an easy fix. Just try moving it around, and seeing how it feels in different positions at home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IrishWind,

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. At 50m it might have bene more like 3-4" on second thought. About 25% fliers up to double that. Hoping the adjustments I mentioned and better ammo will help (a lot) and it is not the rifle.

posted Hide Post
Okay. Moved the optic forward a good 2" and I think that will help. DEFINITELY want a better trigger.

Any recommendations? I'd like to keep the cost for everything under $75 or less. Also, do most folks install them personally or is getting an armorer the way to go?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoot much better groups with my vintage m1 carbine.

I like that!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking my new Sig out again today. Will use better ammo and see how it shoots. It will also be 70F today!

posted Hide Post
Shoot it more, the trigger will break in to an extent and you will get more used to the gun. Describe what you are seeing through the scope and check the paperwork for eye relief distance.
Also, have someone watch you while you shoot. You might have a bad habit.

Also try different ammo. Yours might like 55gr or 62or 69 or 77. You'll find out.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I love the ALG Defense ACT (“ALG Combat Trigger”) for most applications. They are an excellent value for the money and all the ones I’ve had experience with have been significant improvements over most factory triggers. They are not super light (which I don’t want anyway) or necessarily totally creep-free, but they are smooth and predictable.

Installing AR triggers isn’t too difficult, and I’m sure there are a gazillion videos on how to do it. A ’smith shouldn’t charge too much for the job, but it’s something any AR owner should learn how to do himself. There are a couple of tricky parts and you want to be careful to not lose any small parts, so pay attention to the instructions if you undertake the job.

Let us know what ammunition you’re using and how it turns out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
What weight is the bulk ammo you're using?

The M400's barrel probably has a 1/7 twist rate that tends to favor heavier bullets. Currently, I've been running my SIG 516 in three gun with bulk Federal XM193 55gr and it does well enough, though it grouped better with 60gr Hornady TAPs.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

The M400's barrel probably has a 1/7 twist rate that tends to favor heavier bullets. Currently, I've been running my SIG 516 in three gun with bulk Federal XM193 55gr and it does well enough, though it grouped better with 60gr Hornady TAPs.

It's not the weight of the bullet that's increasing your accuracy, but the quality of the bullet. Hornday's TAP & VMax bullets offer very good accuracy, regardless of whether they weigh 40, 50, 55, or 60 grains. Hornady factory loads of all these bullet weights shine in my 1/7, 1/7.7, 1/8, and 1/9 twist barrels.

Sierra also makes quality lighter bullets -- I've had great accuracy with loads using their 52 grain HPBT and 55 Blitzking bullets, regardless of barrel twist rate.

55 grain FMJ bullets do not fly with great accuracy, with the one possible exception of Lapua's bullets. But given Lapua's prices, one might as well buy a true match or varmint-tip bullet and obtain even better accuracy.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
It's not the weight of the bullet that's increasing your accuracy, but the quality of the bullet.

Exactly.

Of the various types of 223 Remington I have on hand, the 55 grain TAP is as accurate out of 1/7 or 1/8" barrels at 100 yards as any of the heavy “match” loads. I shoot a course of my design that involves different sized targets at different ranges. For the stage that demands the greatest accuracy, I use the 55 grain TAP load.

Bulk 223/5.56 ammunition loaded with FMJ bullets is inaccurate for a variety of reasons, but bullet construction is a large part of it. Military snipers use open tip bullets rather than traditional closed-tip ammunition partially for that reason.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

It's not the weight of the bullet that's increasing your accuracy, but the quality of the bullet. Hornday's TAP & VMax bullets offer very good accuracy, regardless of whether they weigh 40, 50, 55, or 60 grains. Hornady factory loads of all these bullet weights shine in my 1/7, 1/7.7, 1/8, and 1/9 twist barrels.

Sierra also makes quality lighter bullets -- I've had great accuracy with loads using their 52 grain HPBT and 55 Blitzking bullets, regardless of barrel twist rate.

55 grain FMJ bullets do not fly with great accuracy, with the one possible exception of Lapua's bullets. But given Lapua's prices, one might as well buy a true match or varmint-tip bullet and obtain even better accuracy.

I understand that, but bullet weight also factors in with twist rate and accuracy. Finding the bullet weight that best matches the twist rate will also produce greater accuracy, ( along with better quality bullets. )

My intial comparison wasn't very good: bulk versus quality defensive bullets.

Now for example, when I was looking to see which weight of TAPs grouped the best out of my 516, ( 55, 60 and 75gr IIRC, ) the 60s grouped the best.

For bulk ammo shooting, trying different brands and bullet weights will give a person a better chance of finding a factory loading that performs better from his rifle.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting day on the range. Started out decent but not thrilled, using American Eagle. Then things went south. I would shoot at 50m and hit 2-3 in 3" and 2 would just disappear. I started worrying something was wrong with my gun and/or Vortex Strike Eagle. So I asked my brother to spot me real-time on the zero. Made a few minor tweaks and back to decent...but far from what I was hoping. So I asked him to shoot. He's lefty. Buries the center. Says "not the gun." So we change ammo (out anyhow) and go to Fiocci. He does just as well. And then so did I. I zoomed it to 6x and all my bullets at 50m where hitting within an inch of where I'm aiming. I let a friend shoot, and he's knocking down lead bunnies about 1' across at 220m. So I give it a try. And hit 4 of 5. I call it a day.

My brother and 3 other shooting friends all knock down the bunnies and rave about how dialed my Sig is and they love the optic. So I go from super frustrated to thrilled. Change of ammo and attitude. And the wind died down significantly.

But the trigger is too damn stiff. Going to get the ALG trigger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

posted Hide Post
Just ordered the ACT trigger.

posted Hide Post
Good to hear that things are going better. You should find the ACT an improvement. If they still come with the slave pins installed, putting them in will be a breeze.

Posts: 4585 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just dropped the ACT trigger in. A bit perplexing but not too bad. I'm trying the purple reduced pull-weight springs for now. Feels good dry-fire but shooting rounds will be the test. Now that I know how to do it, I expect I could replace the spring and reinstall in 5 minutes or less...

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
My m400 needs a better trigger but I have shot 3/4" groups with 62 gr Federal Fusion. This is on a bag or bipod.
That jumps to 2-3" with Serbian SS109.
Pretty big difference.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post