SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MPX piston disassembly and cleaning necessary??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPX piston disassembly and cleaning necessary?? Login/Join 
Picture of Smokey99
posted
Haven't seen any Sig info. Don't really wish to remove barrel as this would require re-sighting in. I use the MPX in PCC class of 3 Gun so it gets a lot of use. I have NOT had any operation problems.

"Son, always take your paper to the woods" - my dad
NRA Endowment Life Member
3 Gun, PCC, IDPA, Bullseye Shooter

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I would say not. Unless you get a failure, i wouldnt mess with it. I may just be an idiot, but i buggered up the gas ring when i was swapping barrels. I have the gun running now so im going to leave well enough alone.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cleaned mine at about 5000 rounds, though it was still operating fine.
I had a massive carbon build up on both the piston face and the gas port. The gas port was almost blocked. Took a lot of soaking, brushing and picking to clean it up. I now clean it much more regularly. I have not noticed any discernable shift in POI after removing the barrel from either my 8" SBR or my 4.5" pistol.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
MeatMan: Thanks for the info! Did you re-install the barrel and use a torque wrench? I ask because my 1/2" drive torque wrench won't do the job!

Posts: 315 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do use a torque wrench to secure the two bolts holding the barrel to the amount they suggest in the MPX manual. Odd that your 1/2" drive won't do the job. I can't remember the torque rating off hand, but I don't remember it being anything too high.

Posts: 179 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Smokey99
posted Hide Post
A 1/2" drive is for torquing such as head bolts on cars and is not very accurate for small bolts torqued in inch pounds.

posted Hide Post
Makes sense now smokey. I have a smaller inch pound torque wrench that I use for this type of thing. It has been so long since I worked on my cars, I think my old ft-lb torque wrench is probably in my son's hands now. Wink