SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A new Sig rifle just came...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new Sig rifle just came... Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
.. and I don’t think I’m going to sell this one. Big Grin
MCX Virtus, 300Blk with a 9” barrel.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Purty ... But what's so special about it?

I'd rather hear from an owner than read the gun rags or the info of the company trying to sell me one ... Looks like an SBR, are you a C3 dealer?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking Kimberkid...yes it is a SBR and I am a Class III. I like it because its a pretty versatile gun. Two screws allow you to change barrels from any length (on an SBR) 300Blk or any length in 5.56. Controls are ambidextrous, it’s a piston gun and a fairly redesigned one at that. There is no buffer assembly to fool with, hence the collapsible stock. The Virtus has a better trigger than the original MCX, much smoother and better break. The upper is compatible with any standard AR lower. I read somewhere that our military had purchased the Virtus uppers to pop on existing M4 lowers. I’ll see if I can find it again..

quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Purty ... But what's so special about it?

I'd rather hear from an owner than read the gun rags or the info of the company trying to sell me one ... Looks like an SBR, are you a C3 dealer?

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
http://www.armyrecognition.com...x_rifle_carbine.html

^^ The article I referred to above

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the Virtus line upgraded the collar that holds the barrel, mine turned to dust on the 3rd swap. That was the final straw for my foray into Sig rifles for the 3rd time. I owned 4 MCX's at that time and 6 in total.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
That stinks, Warpig.

posted Hide Post
Sig wants $600 for a different caliber/length Virtus barrel. You can get an entire AR upper with whatever barrel you want for that much. Also, I thought you needed some sort of adapter to use an MCX upper on a normal AR lower, otherwise that MCX recoil spring will just fly our and hit you in the face.

Neat guns, but don’t seem to offer much more for the price they charge over a much cheaper AR. Plus, there’s also Sig itself and their legendary inability to have parts or support rifle platforms for very long (556, 556xi, and how old was the MCX before they came out with the new and improved Virtus?).

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Sig wants $600 for a different caliber/length Virtus barrel. You can get an entire AR upper with whatever barrel you want for that much. Also, I thought you needed some sort of adapter to use an MCX upper on a normal AR lower, otherwise that MCX recoil spring will just fly our and hit you in the face.

Neat guns, but don’t seem to offer much more for the price they charge over a much cheaper AR. Plus, there’s also Sig itself and their legendary inability to have parts or support rifle platforms for very long (556, 556xi, and how old was the MCX before they came out with the new and improved Virtus?).

While I no longer have them, they offer quite a bit more than a standard AR. At the time there was nothing else that had all the features of the MCX...let alone at its street price of about 1300.00. Id still have mine if hadnt been for some QC issues I had ona couple of mine.

Back on topic, its a sweet looking rifle and should serve you well as it seems they made the Virtus to alst. I thought I read they touted 25k round life expecatncy?

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I think SiGs reputation for support over the recent years rules out any more of their new rifles for me ...

I really like the looks of this and the Rattler but I guess SiG limitation on support is what makes the AR still shine.

However I don't see myself getting rid of my 55x's any time soon either as there are plenty of spare parts out there for them.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Virtus P in .300blk. I have the collapsible PSB on it, and only plan to run it suppressed. It’s a super handy package. We’ll see how it holds up....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EBRfan:
I just picked up a Virtus P in .300blk. I have the collapsible PSB on it, and only plan to run it suppressed. It’s a super handy package. We’ll see how it holds up....

Congrats, EBRfan...looks like you and I are the only ones that like this gun! Maybe it’s just cause I’m a dealer (but I doubt it) but I’ve never been given any trouble with warranty or repair issues. The muzzle break I needed for it to work with my cans came this evening so I’m looking forward to running it through its paces in a day o two. Let me know how yours does, EBRfan.

posted Hide Post
Deleted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Biggy,

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
quote:
Originally posted by EBRfan:

Congrats, EBRfan...looks like you and I are the only ones that like this gun! Maybe it’s just cause I’m a dealer (but I doubt it) but I’ve never been given any trouble with warranty or repair issues. The muzzle break I needed for it to work with my cans came this evening so I’m looking forward to running it through its paces in a day o two. Let me know how yours does, EBRfan.

I didnt have any trouble gettig=ng mine fixed. I guess my issue came with having to send it back so soon, for a significant issue. I actually like your gun a lot, my issue is with Sig for the most part fo rreasons others have stated.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I think SiGs reputation for support over the recent years rules out any more of their new rifles for me ...

I really like the looks of this and the Rattler but I guess SiG limitation on support is what makes the AR still shine.

However I don't see myself getting rid of my 55x's any time soon either as there are plenty of spare parts out there for them.

Agree 100%. I almost bought a Rattler until I sobered up. I have kept my 556’s (one is an SBR) and still really like those rifles, but I’m not getting back into the revolving door that is Sig rifles.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Deleted

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
quote:
Originally posted by Biggy:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dry-fly:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by EBRfan:

I really like mine too. Tier one units have been using the MCX's in 300blk as the MP5 SD replacement for years now.I am hoping in the not to distant future, that once SOCOM gets done playing with their Rattlers, they will confirm what some of us already think about the current MCX Virtus platform, for mainly heavy suppressed SBR and PDW CQB type use.

The latest MCX Virtus version's with the heavier barrels along with the faster barrel twist rates for the 9" inch and under .300 Blackout barrels seem to have taken care of any accuracy issues with the earlier MCX model barrels opening up *some* (don't they all) when they get hot. My sample of one shoots fine hot or cold. Are they over priced? Yeah, probably by about $150., IMHO. But in comparison, to some people, SCAR's, H&K's, KAC's, Wilson Combat pistols, are also somewhat overpriced, although they do have a longer proven track record.
Personally, with some of the current and future pistol braces coming out I see no need to SBR mine, and would prefer to stay more off the radar of those trying to retrict my second admendment rights in the future. I agree with the point people make about Sig and long term support, they always seem to have a lot of projects going on and sometimes they drop them and move on to the next one before they totally refine and finish them. I guess I will see on that, although with the current and future political gun climate, I am pretty confident I could make a nice profit on mine should I decide to dump it sometime in the future. Also FYI , Magpul and Lancer are making tweeked dedicated mags for the .300 blackout and they are available now. The link below has some more info on the MCX

https://www.tactical-life.com/...eview-sig-sauer-mcx/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty-XV4DHRRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fEuJX6sfEY