SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please delete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please delete Login/Join 
posted
Please delete

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigeinkcmo,

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The Colt LE6920 is a good quality, reliable AR, but they are in high demand now and probably even harder to find than most models. I’ll let others suggest other options, but I suspect most will just say that now is the worst possible time to be trying to buy such guns.

In my experience online sellers of guns that normally come with >15 round magazines just simply don’t ship them with mags to Colorado. Obtaining such magazines, though, isn’t as impossible as we might think. I would check with these:

http://ironhorsearmory.com/

https://salidagunshop.com/

Both might also be worth checking their inventories for ARs. I wouldn’t be too optimistic, but an acquaintance picked up an AR from the Salida store after the spike in demand started some months ago.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally like the following:
Colt 6920
FN15
Centurion Arms c4
KAC SR15 mod2
LMT defender
LMT mrp
Sionics

All are tough to find. Ratworx has a pretty reasonable price on the FN15 Tactical Carbine . It has a cold hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. The wedge lock handguard is great. That is what I would currently buy that is in stock, available, and surprisingly at essentially pre-panic pricing.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP -- what part of Colorado are you in? I may be able to find you a mag source.

Send me an email. Please list your email in your profile, so I can allow it in my system.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
I think the MCX is probably out of my sub 2k budget.

I’ve seen a few used MCX show up under $2k. You could also buy a cheap lower and buy the Cal-X upper with AR adapter for under $2k.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
Thanks, I'm in Littleton. I'll get an email your way once I figure out a rifle. I was looking more into this company out of MO...CMMG... https://cmmginc.com/product/ri...lute-300-mk4-5-56mm/. Watched some range time and reviews. Seems pretty nice and a reasonable price point.

It's tough deciding on this but I like the idea of supporting an American company and someone more local.
Just moved from Littleton..Denver Guns and Ammo have always been reasonable. Sam the owner seems gruff but Dillon,Jim and Joe are more than helpful. Probably the best prices in town..Green Mountain is expensive,ARK Tactical as well.

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I eventually want to get a Colt 6920

I became a big fan of FN M4 and M16 rifles went I went to boot camp for the second time in the fall of 2010.

I was issued an FN M16A2E4, with the adjustable stock and the detachable carry handles. That is still to this day my favorite rifle. I shot great with it and I am not a natural shot, I have to practice to be decent. I could not miss at 300 meters shooting prone unsupported. (that stupid 150 always got me though)

I was looking on their website and it shows that they may be discontinuing a couple of their rifles.

I am looking at the FN FN-15 M4 and the full size M16A2 variant.

That is next on my list.
They were kind of pricey before the current frenzy so they really have not went up that much.

I never really paid much attention to the CMMG line but those are nice rifles.
That one seems like a nice one you ordered.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Factory out the door rifle I'd look hard at
Colt
FN

I've heard great things from folks I trust about
Sionics
BCM
SOLGW

I agree with the above. This is not a great time to buy but if you need one I'd try the above.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few days ago I was in the same situation, here are some things you may consider:

0. What´s the intended use for the gun & is that a realistic expectation? Competition? Hunting? Defensive?

1. Piston or DI? Both have their benefits and characteristics. Owning a 551 and 716, I decided to go DI with my latest acquisition. There is no one size fits all - whether piston or DI makes more sense depends on YOUR application. Look at how much mass is being moved during a shot and reload cycle. May or may not be a factor for you. As for cleaning: You have to clean both and piston rifles are not maintenance free. If you neglect your piston rifle maintenance, you may one day need a dremel to get rid of the carbon. Been there, done that.

2. For DI, there are variations of barrel and gas tube lengths which are reported to lead to slight differences. Find your sweet spot between smoothness and reliability and if suppressors are an option, that can lead to even more considerations. My new rifle is a 18", rifle length setup. If you can, test fire with different brands of ammo and see what you like best.

3. Caliber: .223 or .223, maybe .223 as an option. Unless you have very special requirements, I´d go with what is more standard, more widespread, offers more bullet choices, is easier available. Tends to be cheaper as well. Cheaper means more training rounds for the same money. It does not mean to go for low quality in a given caliber, but go for caliber that does not have a novelty tax attached.

4. Parts. If you plan to setup your rifle a bit, such as swapping selectors, triggers, handguards etc. keep in mind the MCX is not totally AR-15 compatible. That means less choices (if you want them in the first place). Friends of mine have that issue with their 516s, I see it with my rifles as well, those experiences were part of my decision to go with a "closer to milspec" Daniel Defense DDM4 this time, Savage Recon 2.0 also was on the short list.

5. Buy quality. Great things are rarely cheap, expensive things aren´t always great. Test a manufacturer´s service department. Check their forums.

6. Don´t buy what the other guy owns. Don´t buy by appearance. Get a clear vision which purpose the new tool shall serve and then choose accordingly.

Hope this helps! Keep in mind, our choices overseas are very limited, so I definitely have missed many brands that are simply unobtainium in Yurp.

Posts: 4 | Registered: August 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rifle!

I have the SIG MSR dot on my 10.5" pistol, seems to be holding up quite well. I have the Romeo 5 on my HD 16" carbine.

I wish the MSR had the MOTAC that the Romeo 5 has so that I'd trust the battery to hold for HD use, but so far I'm pleased.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post