SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Custom Marlin Wood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom Marlin Wood Login/Join 
posted
I have an 1895gbl.

The blonde wood is just not great. Can anyone suggest a custom shop to do a much darker set?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sand it down and make it any color you like. It is not hard and you get the satisfaction of knowing it is done right. I refinished a beat up looking Marlin 30/30 stock and it looked so nice I did not want to take it hunting, but I did. Big Grin

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
Sand it down and make it any color you like. It is not hard and you get the satisfaction of knowing it is done right. I refinished a beat up looking Marlin 30/30 stock and it looked so nice I did not want to take it hunting, but I did. Big Grin

This, you can sand it down and put coats of tung oil on it to darken it, or any other type of stain you can rub on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bedded the action of an old Marlin 60 and it shot amazingly well so I didn’t want to mess with the stock. I used pure tung oil to refinish it. After a dozen layers and many weeks of curing, it’s turned a very nice blond color with depth in it.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless I just wanted a higher grade of wood, I'd do like the others suggested and just refinish the existing stock.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
If you just want to buy different stocks, www.boydsgunstocks.com has many choices.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Marlin Custom Shop.
Call them--either buy a new high grade wood stock or have them refinish your old stock.
Back in the old days-Marlin was down the street in Conn. I had purchased a Marlin 1895--took the gun home from the dealer and discovered a cracked butt stock. Dealer took it over to Marlin--they put a brand new high grade wood stock on.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
blonde wood

I thought the GBL came with laminated wood. Could you post some pics? I've seen some plain looking wood that actually had some amazing looking grain after it was stripped, stained, and hit with either Tung oil or poly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post