SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Considerations On Full-Auto's
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considerations On Full-Auto's Login/Join 
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
My story goes back to the late 80's when stuff was much more plentiful..$400 new MACs, $1500 new M16s, HK Sears, $500.

Of course back in those university days I wasn't loaded so most of these FA toys were mostly out of reach. Fast forward to the mid-90s and I had the money to buy a M11 Mac and two HK sears. Went to Knob Creek almost every year.

So now I have an HK53-A2 and MP5-A2, plus a collection of some other SIG babies. I started looking on the sales boards/machine gun values and was astonished to see how much those "back in the 90s" guns now cost today! My MP5 I had built for $1800 HK94, $500 sear, and $700 misc. costs. $3000 total build.

MP5s are now routinely flirting with $40,000! Quite a bit more than the $3,000 which it cost me to build my MP5..

Of course, playing the equities market can help out too.. skim some of the capital gains from some stock sales to buy machine guns.. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heckler,

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
My story goes back to the late 80's when stuff was much more plentiful..$400 new MACs, $1500 new M16s, HK Sears, $500.

Of course back in those university days I wasn't loaded so most of these FA toys were mostly out of reach. Fast forward to the mid-90s and I had the money to buy a M11 Mac and two HK sears. Went to Knob Creek almost every year.

So now I have an HK53-A2 and MP5-A2, plus a collection of some other SIG babies. I started looking on the sales boards/machine gun values and was astonished to see how much thos "back in the 90s guns now cost today! My MP5 I had built for $1800 HK94, $500 sear, and $700 misc. costs. $3000 total build.

MP5s are now routinely flirting with $40,000! Quite a bit more than the $3,000 which it cost me to build my MP5..

Of course, playing the equities market can help out too.. skim some of the capital gains from some stock sales to buy machine guns.. Smile

Yeah I wish I started buying when I turned 21 in 98. Prices were still very reasonable compared to the mid-2000s to now. I could have started buying at 21, but sat on the fence perseverating. I finally started buying in 02. But my philosophy toward MGs has changed over time. I used to want factory MGs and factory spec conversions. Had I started buying in 98 I would have skipped HK sears and bought pushpin RR guns. I should have picked up a DIAS when they were cheaper. There are still a few "must have" items on my list - AUG sear gun, WW2 28 Thompson, Swede K. And a few that I want and may add - Powder Springs M10/9, maybe a m60, 1919. I need more HK hosts for my DLO frame and fleming sear.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post