SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New birthday rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New birthday rifle Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
Sunday is my 40th birthday so I bought myself a new gun.
(In hindsight I should have gotten a .40 lol)

I had decided on an AR-10 of some flavor... and had 3 requirements:
1) Piston
2) Keymod or MLOK rail
3) SR25 mags

Online research left me with 3 results:

1) Sig 716
2) POF P308 Edge
3) PWS MK216 MOD 1-M

The PWS one is simply vaporware online. It doesn't exist.
The POF... I read some reviews and some of them were quite good - others were quite alarming.
Sig.. I have multiple Sigs already - it was a bit on the heavy side - but that doesn't bother me too much.

So I opted for the Sig.
Called up the LGS to see if they had one in stock - and the dude tells me "no I dont have one here but I can order - btw they've been discontinued"
Eh?!

Well that's not great.
I guess they're likely being replaced by something like the MCX Spear (shot show soon right?)

So that left me with zero options with my requirements.
After some loud sighing... I dropped the "piston" requirement from my list which opens up a whole new world of options.

After all is said and done... I ordered a Barrett Rec10.
Should arrive on Thursday or Friday.

Already have my optic sitting here in the safe waiting on it:
NF ATACR
It's probably a little bit on the "too much optic" for this rifle - but I got it for a pretty good deal.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
{snip}
So I opted for the Sig.
Called up the LGS to see if they had one in stock - and the dude tells me "no I don't have one here but I can order - btw they've been discontinued"
{Snip}

Are you F'n kidding me?

From their business practices over the last 10 or so years I shouldn't be surprised ... but I kinda am.

The only AR platform I have of SiG is the 716 DMR and not that I've shot it in a couple years, but I was very happy with it and was planning on shooting it suppressed next year (bone density is still below average, but much better) ... I've got all the 55X's I want but their out of production too, the only good thing in their favor is that they had a long run and there will be spare parts around for at least my life time, but then I'm in my early 60's so I can only hope to shoot them for another 20 years or so at best ...

I hate to say it but I'm done with SiG, as a consumer you can't even depend on them for support Frown

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

NF ATACR
It's probably a little bit on the "too much optic" for this rifle - but I got it for a pretty good deal.

You have impeccable taste!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
@kimberkid - yeah I was surprised as well - and figured that note would certainly get a reaction from folks on here.

Posts: 1524 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

NF ATACR

You have impeccable taste!

Baahaha ty sir!

However I might swap optics out..
I currently have an NXS 2.5-10x32 on my Scar17
These two things might change places....

posted Hide Post
OK you should really go buy a lottery ticket. You start with a list of guns that really aren't top notch. Then you get one that is. Build quality and support from Barrett is truly top notch as one who has several.
I wouldn't pick that NF for this, but OK that's just me.
Good luck...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
716 discontinued? Didn't the Indian government just order a massive boatload for their Army not too long ago?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I think you made the right choice!!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday! And a shout out to the “Birthday paradox “ thread as today is my 50th birthday. Congratulations on the Barrett, a fine choice.

Posts: 540 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Already have my optic sitting here in the safe waiting on it: NF ATACR 4-16x42

However I might swap optics out..
I currently have an NXS 2.5-10x32 on my Scar17

I have experience with both optics on AR15s used for training and competition.

2.5-10x:
The good -- Nice compact scope, good glass, accurate and repeatable turret adjustments, solid build.

The not so good -- Fixed parallax, second focal plane, the reticle should have been more bold to work at 10x with complex backgrounds. This means that the reticle is fairly bold at 2.5x, but the subtentions only work at 10x.

4-16x42:
The good -- Compact for its magnification level, great glass, accurate and repeatable turret adjustments, solid build, ffp reticle is well matched in size and thickness for the magnification range.

The not so good -- Some tunneling throughout the magnification range. Most NF zoom scopes have slight tunneling at the lowest 10-15% of the magnification range, which goes away as the magnification increases. The 4-16x doesn't have drastic tunneling at 4x, but it doesn't really change all the way to 16x.

Your scope choice should match your rifle use. The 4-16x is better for precision shooting and longer distances. The 2.5-10x is better for closer targets.

My ATACR 4-16x is on a 20" AR15 which is regularly used in team competitions. Target distances vary from up close to 700 yards, with most being between 200 and 500 yards. Shooting positions are prone, from barriers, and improvised.

My 2.5-10x has cycled through a number of ARs, and is currently on a 14.5" LWRC piston upper. I have used this scope on steel out to 800 yards, but it is better for much closer target distances.

I've shot the SCAR-17 but not the Rec10. I suspect the ATACR is better for the Barrett.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

New NF 2.5-10x42s have parallax adjustment and digital illumination.

Not applicable to the OPs x32 NF, but something to consider for new purchases.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Happy Bday.

The Barrett is a cool gun. Fine choice. Can't wait to see the setup and how it shoots.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday! Cant wait to see the pictures of the rifle.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Ok so the "should arrive thursday" thing became "should arrive saturday" which then became "should arrive monday".

But after all that - it finally got here and I picked it up this morning.

I am in no way any sort of photographer.. so this is the best I got.

Scope mounted without any other changes:

I had a PRS stock literally just sitting on the floor of the bedroom for the past half year or so...
So I tossed it on:

Then finally slapped a can on it:

posted Hide Post
Dude.... SWEET!!!!!!

Let us know how she shoots!!!!

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Living vicariously through you. I've wanted to shoot one for a long time. Congrats.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
716 discontinued? Didn't the Indian government just order a massive boatload for their Army not too long ago?

On Dec 11th the first batch of 10,000 SIG 716 rifles arrived in India.
The order was for approx 70,000 rifles.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rig you got there.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Got to take it out to the range today.
Didn't get to spend as much time with it as I'd liked - it was kinda chaotic there

Discovered that by default... that gun REALLY does not like being suppressed.
There's no adjustable gas block on it...
It just stovepipes every round.
Sent an email in to barrett looking for suggestions.
There's no way on earth they didn't suppress this thing during production/QA.
So we'll see what they come back with.

Once I took the suppressor off - it ran like a top.
Fed it two diff types of ammo:
147 grain FMJ (PMC)
165 grain HPBT (Federal)

Obviously the federal grouped better.

Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
so... I spoke with Barrett as I said:

quote:

We recommend shooting the REC 10 with a flow thru suppressor like a OSS Suppressor. A traditional suppressor has baffles which can cause the rifle to be over gassed and cycle the bolt faster, causing double feeds and stovepipe.

Well that's not great.
I don't have an OSS - and I dont currently feel like forking over 1k for a new can + 1year wait.

I assume a different buffer/spring would do the trick.
Thoughts?