SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bluetooth Scopes, is it? The BDX series optics from SIG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluetooth Scopes, is it? The BDX series optics from SIG Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted
So I saw the video on SIG's website. And I admit that I'm intrigued. Making my smartphone part of the kit isn't great but I'll always have it with me in the field anyways, so why not...I suppose. Having to buy a new Kilo rangefinder does suck since I really like my Leupold TBR and although not loaded with the latest connectivity tech like the SIG BDX rangefinder it works excellently at doing what a rangefinder is expected to do.

But the purported ease at which the data is collected by the Kilo, calculated by the phone app then transferred to the scope's active reticle all via Bluetooth is I admit pretty neat, and does tweak that tech nerd geek component inside of me.

Of course with my luck, the damn BDX scope would probably blue screen on me and require a reboot into Safe Mode. Still, it's a fascinating system...if it works. The point SIG makes is that the claimed improvement in presented data makes for a more ethical shot on an animal, which I don't think can be denied. It still requires fundamental shooting skills to take and make the shot, but at least in theory if you miss one can't say the data's off. Unless of course if the scope wasn't zeroed correctly in the first place (Gee, how often does THAT happen? Well, if I go by the sort of DIY scope mounting jobs that I've seen...quite often, actually).

Hmm...wonder what happens when I try pairing my Sony WH-1000XM2 cans (the OTHER kind of cans)...

The every invading world of tech. Pretty soon your optics will need a firewall and anti-virus software.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no!

Be a real man and dial your dope!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Smart scopes have been in the works for some time, and it was inevitable that they would become more common as well as more advanced and sophisticated. There’s no stopping such developments, but it does raise questions for someone like me who has experience with ballistics calculators, rangefinders, sight adjustments, and all that.

When I consider cartridge selection and the possibility of being shot myself, which would I prefer? Being shot with a cartridge that produces lots of muzzle blast and recoil or one that’s easy on the hands and ears and is less upsetting to shoot?
When the pock o’lips comes, who would I rather my opponent be? Would I rather face someone who has a rugged mechanical scope and a dope chart based on his specific rifle and ammunition, or someone who’s relying on calculators that may or may not be accurate for various reasons, rangefinders that may or may not work for various reasons, and devices that are dependent upon batteries and the reliability of electronics?

It will be interesting to see what the future brings.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post