SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Century Arms International Red Army C39v2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
C39V2 7.62x39 Magpul Furniture

My favorite local gun store has these on sale for $529.

Anyone have it or have experience with it? I need an AK in my collection, but I really don’t know much about these. I watched some videos online and it seems like a nice gun to add to my collection.

Here’s the specs:

The Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 is an excellent American Made rifle that will satisfy any AK aficionados' needs. It's constructed using modern manufacturing processes with a 4140 ordnance steel milled receiver and a 4150 chrome moly steel barrel. The barrel is left hand threaded metric 14x1mm and has a Chevron style muzzle brake with standard AKM sights. This is a do it all firearm that is a fantastic tool for competition, recreational shooting and hunting. It features a first of its kind AK side mount scope rail that offers you a return to zero capability! The design gives you an improved clamping ability that is four times better than traditional side scope rail mounts and it will improve your sight acquisition for follow-up shots! Other features include and RAK-1 enhanced trigger group with a retaining plate, a heat treated bolt carrier and a bolt hold open notch on the safety. Equipped with Magpul MOE AK polymer furniture, it's compatible with AKM furniture as well and accepts all standard AK-47 magazines. All 100% American Made with U.S. Made parts! Not all AK platform rifles are created equal, and the Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 is proof that some are definitely better than others.

Specifications and Features:
Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 RI2399-N
AK-47 Semi Automatic Rifle
7.62x39mm
30 Rounds
16.5" Chrome Moly 4150 Threaded Barrel
Nitride Treated with 1:10 Twist
Metric 14x1mm Left Hand Threads
Chevron Muzzle Brake
Milled 4140 Ordnance Steel Receiver
Standard AKM Sights
RAK-1 Enhanced Trigger Group
Retaining Plate
Heat Treated Bolt Carrier
Bolt Hold-Open Notch on Safety Selector
Larger T Shaped Magazine Catch
A ccepts All Standard AK Mags
Magpul MOE AK Stock, Pistol Grip and Handguard
Compatible with AKM Furniture
Black Finish
Overall Length 36"
Weight 8.1 Pounds
100% American Made

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I don't have time right now to post links but I've read enough horror stories on those to say run away and run fast.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Really? I haven’t seen any bad reviews on this thing.

I was hoping for some info from someone that had personal experience with it.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No personal experience to offer but, if you don't find what you need here, a search of a couple of the more prominent AK-specific fora will definitely turn up a trove of personal experiences.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I personally own this one:
https://www.centuryarms.com/c39v2-moe.html

Have prolly about 2000 rounds through it.
Zero issues.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
The C39V2 (and all AK’s made by Century) are pieces of shit. They are outright hated in the AK community. They are well known for head spacing issues and blowing up. MAC is a mainstream guy who has videos on this very issue. Rob Ski is the YouTuber that is an AK specific guy and he has called it out too.

If you own a C39V2, I would recommend you stop shooting it immediately. If you continue to shoot it, make sure you have a go/no-go gauge and are checking your spacing. If you want an AK go with an import. If you don’t want an import go with a Palmetto State Armory Ak.

I got into the AK world in January of this year and now have something like 15-20 AK’s now. One of the is a Palmetto and I’m very happy with it. No American maker has been able to get the AK right (outside of the custom guys like rifle dynamics that is). PSA would appear to be the first. It’s a lot of fun learning about the different AK’s. It’s more work than learning/buying/finding other kinds of rifles, but that’s why makes them fun imo.. Heck, even learning about the mags was a fun journey. There are some great AK specific forums out there who will help you learn.

ETA: easiest imports to get your hands on right now imo are the WASR 10 from Romania and the WBP Fox from Poland. Atlantic Arms has them both.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I briefly owned a Century RAS-47 (the stamped receiver version of the C39v2). It began destroying itself within a few hundred rounds. To most Americans, AK is synonymous with inexpensive. Unfortunately, it is impossible to domestically produce a mil-spec quality AK at a price point most Americans are comfortable.

While there's a good deal of time with ammo dumps, there is a lot of useful information in this video.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Look up AK Operator's Union on YouTube for his 5k eval of them.

Then back away... just back away. Wink

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
PSA's GF3 just passed Rob's 5k test. I think that's only the second USA made AK to pass it. The first was PSA's Gen 2 AK.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
No American maker has been able to get the AK right

Why is that?

I thought AK's were dummy-proof and built like tanks?

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
AKs are supposed to be cheap and reliable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Why is that?

They were... back when Ivan was building them for a handful of Rubles a piece.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
And had already built millions of them, and had taken the design through a couple of generations. There seems to be a real learning curve involved.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Why is that?

Usual problems are with metallurgy. Typically see either the hammer or the trigger face too hard and one warping the other. Since they have to have 922r triggers the metal doesn’t match.

Another issue is with crumbling trunions. I have no idea why but IS trunions (except for PSA now) have failed.

Other issues are things like the bolt not contacting locking surfaces squarely/flush.

Nothing to crazy, but PSA is the only American to nail it. We need a domestic alternative because imports are getting pricey!

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Purely economic. It's impossible to commercially produce a mil-spec AK from the ground up for less than $1K. Most folks simply won't pay the premium for a top tier AK when there are other choices available in the $1K range. As RHINOWSO points out, "AKs are supposed to be cheap and reliable". Unfortunately, you can't have both with a domestically produced rifle.

Posts: 3506 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I mean that was the allure right? Cheap AK47/74s and cases of cheap commie 762x39 / 545x39 in spam cans? Take em to the range and shoot the piss out of them, treat'em like an AK by throwing it in your trunk until next time?

It's a great battle rifle, a marvel of mass production to equip (at the time) the hordes of Commie foot soldiers across the globe.

I just don't see them competing with ARs at either the current price points for legit Commie conversion or quality for US copies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I just don't see them competing with ARs at either the current price points for legit Commie conversion or quality for US copies.

This is it exactly.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
C39V2 7.62x39 Magpul Furniture

My favorite local gun store has these on sale for $529.

Anyone have it or have experience with it? I need an AK in my collection, but I really don’t know much about these. I watched some videos online and it seems like a nice gun to add to my collection.

Here’s the specs:

The Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 is an excellent American Made rifle that will satisfy any AK aficionados' needs. It's constructed using modern manufacturing processes with a 4140 ordnance steel milled receiver and a 4150 chrome moly steel barrel. The barrel is left hand threaded metric 14x1mm and has a Chevron style muzzle brake with standard AKM sights. This is a do it all firearm that is a fantastic tool for competition, recreational shooting and hunting. It features a first of its kind AK side mount scope rail that offers you a return to zero capability! The design gives you an improved clamping ability that is four times better than traditional side scope rail mounts and it will improve your sight acquisition for follow-up shots! Other features include and RAK-1 enhanced trigger group with a retaining plate, a heat treated bolt carrier and a bolt hold open notch on the safety. Equipped with Magpul MOE AK polymer furniture, it's compatible with AKM furniture as well and accepts all standard AK-47 magazines. All 100% American Made with U.S. Made parts! Not all AK platform rifles are created equal, and the Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 is proof that some are definitely better than others.

Specifications and Features:
Century Arms International Red Army C39v2 RI2399-N
AK-47 Semi Automatic Rifle
7.62x39mm
30 Rounds
16.5" Chrome Moly 4150 Threaded Barrel
Nitride Treated with 1:10 Twist
Metric 14x1mm Left Hand Threads
Chevron Muzzle Brake
Milled 4140 Ordnance Steel Receiver
Standard AKM Sights
RAK-1 Enhanced Trigger Group
Retaining Plate
Heat Treated Bolt Carrier
Bolt Hold-Open Notch on Safety Selector
Larger T Shaped Magazine Catch
A ccepts All Standard AK Mags
Magpul MOE AK Stock, Pistol Grip and Handguard
Compatible with AKM Furniture
Black Finish
Overall Length 36"
Weight 8.1 Pounds
100% American Made

Is the shop you're referring to Tanners Sports Center? Ray has really had some killer deals the past few weeks.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:

Is the shop you're referring to Tanners Sports Center? Ray has really had some killer deals the past few weeks.

Yep! They’re killing me with these insane sales!

I primarily have Facebook now just so I can see what sale is next. There’s so much I can’t keep up! It’s seriously outta hand. Big Grin

I literally had to talk myself out of going in there today to buy something, as I’m awaiting the verdict on this rifle.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who shared their experience.

ESdunbar, that is an insane collection. Looks like I’m playing AK catchup!