SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long range rifles to consider besides the Ruger Precision?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long range rifles to consider besides the Ruger Precision? Login/Join 
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted
Looking for a long-range bolt gun, likely chambered in 6.5 Creedmore but maybe in .308. Needs to have a barrel threaded 5/8x24 for use with a suppressor.

Looking to spend less than $1500 on the rifle to preserve funds for optics and accessories.

I like the looks and features of the Ruger Precision Rifle, but what other rifles are worthy of consideration?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
T3X CTR 6.5 Creedmoor 24":

http://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka...TR-65-Creedmoor.aspx

Then add an upgraded stock/chassis of your choice like KRG X-Ray for ~$575 if/when funds allow.

Or for a bit more the T3X TAC A1 already with an upgraded chassis:

http://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka...5-Creedmoor-24-.aspx

Personally I'd go with the first option I posted instead.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Savage 10 BA STEALTH can be had for super cheap right now. $150 MIR on them....308 or 6.5CM and two different chassis choices. $635/shipped net for a 308 from Grabagun.

By all reports, its on par with the RPR and priced pretty close normally ($1200).

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/BAStealth

I want a Tikka and have been close a couple of times to buying one but mag cost and availability is always a stumbling block.

Might just buy the Savage as that leaves a LOT of room in the budget for glass.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
I'll second what PGT said. I purchased a RPR and my buddy picked up a Savage Stealth. Both were in 6.5 Creed. The Savage outshot the RPR over and over again.....to the point that I sold my RPR. He still has his and shot a 1.25" group at 300 yards last weekend.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I have sold/traded very few firearms in my lifetime but the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor was one of them. Perhaps I was a little too hasty but mine did not shoot factory Hornady ammunition very well. I did see a guy at my range shoot some sub .5 moa groups with his at 100 yards using the same Hornady I was using.

I see your price range and want to be careful about overhyping a particular rifle over another but having had an RPR, I would highly recommend one of the Tikkas that Brett B identified, specifically, the T3X TAC A1. I posted my thoughts about this rifle a few weeks ago on another forum and though it might be bad form, I am posting it here now. I really think the Tikka T3X TAC A1 is WAY underpriced.

I bough mine in early June and got a chance to take it to the range, perform a 20-round break-in, shoot some Factory 140gr ELD-M and some reloads. Before relating my experience with this rife let me give you my frame of reference. As a general rule, I don't like bolt guns. I much prefer the AR-15/SR-25 platform as that is what I learned on and feel comfortable shooting. I have an SR-25 based 22" 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots pretty good, approximately .5 MOA with hand loads on good days. I keep seeing pictures of guys shooting .2-something with bolt guns and could just not get there--not even a lucky group.

After reading about the TAC A1 here, I decided that I wanted to try one. I took the Burris XTR-II that I purchased for the RPR and put it on the Tikka. I did not attach the brake because I wanted to put my suppressor on the rifle once I had a decent load. I know that there are much more expensive bolt guns out there but this is the most expensive bolt gun I own. Other than a T/C Venture hunting rifle and a Remington 700, the Tikka is my first "precision" bolt gun.

The rifle is beautifully made. The folding stock locks up tight with no (zero) detectable slop. The bolt slides effortlessly in the action and is easy to unlock and lock from prone. I am using high sight mounts at 1.5" and the adjustable comb easily gets my eye in the right place with adjustment to spare. I did move the butt pad all the way up. If it would go higher I would move it higher but it is okay for me. It is very well padded, by the way. The rear stock is all metal including the locking knobs on the comb adjustment. The rifle feels like it would cost a good bit more than $1750. The front hand guard is M-LOC and while I much prefer Keymod, I am not going to complain about that. The hand guard is very solid and does not flex even with a heavy forward load on the bipod.

I adjusted the 2-stage trigger lighter than it came out of the box. I don't have a trigger scale but would estimate that it is between 2.0 and 2.5 lbs now. It is good enough not to be a factor in shooting. I never think: "when is this thing going to break?" nor has a round gone off before I wanted it to. I would rate the trigger as an 8.5 but don't think it is worth changing it at this point.

I was a little concerned after shooting the 140 gr ELD-M factory loads. They did about the same that I have shot in a RPR and in my semi-auto -- right at 1 MOA. Nothing very interesting at all. I will say that I didn't expect much out of them and maybe I could have been more focused when shooting them but there was a good bit of vertical stringing that I generally attribute to the ammo and not me.

The throat on my Tikka is very long. Using 142 gr SMKs as a reference, I load them out to 2.9135" to get to .020 off the lands. That does not leave much bullet in the case neck. About .16" or just over half the diameter of the bullet. The good news is that bullet fits in the Tikka magazine. There is no room to spare but it fits with no damage to the tip.

I also loaded some 140 gr Berger VLD Hunting rounds but will need to tweak them a little more to get out of them what I know they are capable of. I have since shot the Berger VLD seating depth test and found that my rifle loves these projectiles at forty thousandths off the lands. A bad group is .5. It can easily shoot a .3 or .4 which is at the limit of my abilities. I would bet that a more skilled shooter could better that consistently.

It also likes the 142 gr. SMK and the 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M. These are all hand loads. For powder, I have been using H4350 and IMR 4451. Both shoot extremely well. Will be trying some Reloader 17 next. All consistently shoot .5 MOA or better.

After over a month with the rifle and about 500 rounds, several hundred of which have been at 1000 yards, I still can’t say enough good things about it.

6.5 Creedmoor is a great round and seems to be very easy to both shoot and load. I still enjoy loading for and shooting the .308s but if you want accuracy, availability of factory match ammo at reasonable prices, very light recoil and tons of industry and forum support, the 65 CM is a great choice and the Tikka T3X TAC A1 really gets the job done.

Hope that helps a little,
Henryrifle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryrifle,

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Savage that is mounted in a APR chassis in 6.5. I have not shot it yet.
Right around the price point your thinking about.
Sorry I cant remember the Savage model number.
Called Savage Ashbury Precision Rifle.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! Got some thinking to do.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Tikka CTR...pick your model..they all seem to be excellent. My 6.5 Creedmoor is quickly becoming my favorite bolt gun.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I will likely end up with a Tika or Bergara

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have shot the Savage Stealth in 6.5CM. I wasn't real impressed with the accuracy, trigger, or smoothness of the action. Those are 3 areas where every Tikka I have shot excels.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Might look at the "Howa Chassis Rifle"

Have not seen or shot one, but some decent reviews out there.

https://www.legacysports.com/c...a-hcr-chassis-rifle/

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Really love the Ruger, and I have seen them under 1200 now. I got to play with mine some this last week. It is amazing to shoot less than 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards. I can't wait to put better glass on it and get out further. And definitely go for the 6.5 Creedmor over the 308.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TooTech:
Looking for a long-range bolt gun, likely chambered in 6.5 Creedmore but maybe in .308. Needs to have a barrel threaded 5/8x24 for use with a suppressor.

Looking to spend less than $1500 on the rifle to preserve funds for optics and accessories.

I like the looks and features of the Ruger Precision Rifle, but what other rifles are worthy of consideration?

For a little bit more money suggest to consider putting a rifle together.

Find the cheapest Tikka T3 short action 308 bolt face rifle (243, 260, 308...) for the action/trigger. EuroOptics often has sales on demo's Tikka T3's, excellent on line retailer. Buy a 8 twist 6.5MM barrel, Kreiger, Bartlien, Brux...Medium Palma contour finished at 24-26". Have the barrel chambered in a 6.5CM. Drop it in a XLR Industries Element chassis, very well machined, very adjustable chassis to fit you.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI, there is a safety recall on certain Ruger RPR rifles. In case it's not clear: does not affect Gen 1 rifles with plastic shroud.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/rprSafety

Posts: 388 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post