SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    300 Black Out assembly done.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Black Out assembly done. Login/Join 
posted
So the story on this is... a bit of a long one. In the late 90's or very early 2k's I had moved back to Portland from Southern Oregon. Resigned in good standing as an officer and was working in the fire and water damage industry. One of our clients was a Pre WWII vet, WWII vet, Korea Vet, then professional pilot after. He retired with over 30k of flight hours.

He was a flying tiger in Burma prior to WWII, a P-38j Pilot over Berlin in WWII, a F-86 Saber pilot in Korea.

We hit it off, I saw a picture of the p38 and went into fandom mode. It is my favorite plane. We ended up talking for hours after I finished work. His wife pulled out a shadowboxed silk jacket from a back room. Something that the ladies in china had made for him. A nearly pure white silk jacket with a stylized chinese tiger on it. He began to tell me stories of his friends now long gone. The pilots all had one of those jackets. Witha whispered word she went to the back room and brought out a companion photo. It was very old, not much more than a postcard. Black and white of course. The markings were, now 25 years later, pretty close to this.

I ran across the above image while doing something or other on the internet. I stopped. It was his plane. Well as close as I had ever seen. Most of these I have seen are cammo's up. His photo was not. When I started thinking of a 300 black out rifle. I said why not Gucci it up a bit. So, here we are after it is back from Blow and Deadline.

This will be run with my nomad can once that clears the atf form 4. If feels good in the hand, Not many things are as nice as a double stamper.

The components:
Mag pul UBR stock,
Aero P upper and Lower,
Rainier forward assist,
Rainier NIBor bolt group
Rainier 10.5 inch Barrel
Rainier adjustable gasblock
Rainier urban combat hand gaurd
Seekins lower parts group,
AlG combat trigger,
Anti Walk pins,
Billet Dust cover
Raidian charging handle
BCM Grip,
Magpul FG
Dead air Key-Mo muzzle brake

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I like it Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'm not one for gucci-ed guns, but that's totally awesome. Great inspiration!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Nice set up.
I like the Real Avid AR bench block.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got it sighted in, 120 rounds. The adjustable gas block was quick and easy to tune.

Here is what it looks like now.

I also have a Geissele Reaction bar. Man, I wish I had had that years ago. Made completing the upper much easier.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I love it. Very tastefully done-- I too normally don't like themed guns. Did you do the design or did you just send that photo to Blow and Deadline?

How does the gun balance? The UBR is heavy, but it looks like you have a pretty hefty barrel on there too?

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, that is a good question. I will have a look in a bit and see where the balance point is. Did you want to know with with a full mag or no mag.

Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shackelford,

I weighed it today. 8.13oz with a full mag. I also tested the point of balance.
It is currently:
Stock closed no mag just behind the A of aerop logo on the mag well

Stock closed full mag, Just at the left end of the A logo

Stock extended no mag, Just behind the A by 1/4 inchish

Stock extended Full mag, Just about 1/8 behind the lower left end of the A logo.

I sent blow and deadline the photo, with a written description of what I wanted. There are some differences as to what I received and what I described. Nothing major, and all of it for reasons of durability and complexity.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I don’t normally like themed guns, but I must say, that is very cool and very well done! I dig it.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had it out today for another 120 rounds. I had one weird failure to feed. Though the previous round felt pretty underpowered. Other than that it functions flawlessly.

My muzzle brake did loosen. I torqued it down, and used rockset. So I cleaned it up again. Then reset it with rockset, just a shit ton more.

So how is it doing? It is a stupidly silly accurate rifle to shoot. I have not shot supers yet. I will have to pick some up over the summer.

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It is a stupidly silly accurate rifle to shoot. I have not shot supers yet.

What do you define as "stupidly silly accurate"? What are your group sizes and distances?

I am unimpressed with 300blk subsonic load accuracy in my 11.3" SBR. A buddy who is a great shooter feels the same about his 300blk.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have seen my range right?

I have a 4 inch plate with a 1inch hole in the center. Behine that is a 3 inch tear drop plate.

I normally use this for 100yd 22lr shooting. It is ar500 3/8s steel. So...

At 25 yds off hand using the holosun 510c. I can nail the 4 1inch center holes 8 out of 10 times.

Group wise, i dont have an answer for you. I sighted it in at 50 yds from my bench on a bag. The group is just about one inch.

I have been reading up on the 300bkout accuracy issues. For subs it needs a fast twist rat, for supers it needs a slower one. Acording to internet lore.

All i know is that i can go out and shoot and it hits where i want it. For me it just works. I plan on going to the indoor rqnge today. I was planning on taking some supers and subs and seeing how it did. Along with the ptr 9kt

posted Hide Post
Fritz, There are going to be a lot of "ums" "buts" "it is 95*" "direct sunlight" "I am a vampire" "I was melting" To all that follows.

1 I am not a great rifle shot. If I kan keep a centerfire 3 shot group at under 5 inches at 100 yards standing for deer season I am happy as a clam.

2 I bought a bench to help with my rifle shooting. This is about the 5th time I have been able to use it.

3 distance is 50 yds, Scope is 10x swfa, ammo will be pictured above the target, 5 shot groups.

4 I hate the heat, sunlight. I get massive headaches from bright light. Feel guilty :P All in all I am happy conclusion at the bottom.

Set up.

Scope sighted in,

Magtech tactical 123 grn

remington match 125 grn

Remington Green and white box 120 OTFB

Hornaday black 110grn

Vamageddon 110grn

Armscor 147grn

American Eagle 150grn

PPU 125 grn

I honestly don't think the gun likes the 147 or 150 grain bullets. It seemed to do better with the 125 and 110 grain ammo in general.

Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
Well done, I'm a huge fan of the UBR stock myself.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 50 yards I shot subs of S&B 200 FMJ, Hornady 190 Sub-X, and Hornady 208 Amax. Most groups were 1.4" to 1.7", although one group of .6" from the Sub-X 190. I saw mainly vertical stringing in the groups, which tends to come from a few sources -- poor rear bag technique, inconsistent timing for breaking the shot during the breathing cycle, inconsistent bullet MV, and poor bullet flight characteristics. I was able to eliminate all but poor bullet flight. Vertical stringing of the subs become really bad at 100 yards. Groups at 100 yards were in the 2" to 4" ballpark -- essentially equal to crappy 223 ball ammo in a bargain-line AR-15.

I still have a few boxes of S&B 200 on hand. When I shoot it -- likely for close steel target drills -- I may not buy or shoot anymore subsonic blackout loads.

Ammo with 140-150 grain bullets tend to be FMJ loads. Poor accuracy for such ammo is due to poor bullets, not the weight of the bullets themselves. Comparing to 223 ammo -- 55 ball ammo is inaccurate, but 55 Vmax ammo is accurate.

You will almost certainly find that the best accuracy occurs with loads using 110-125 grain bullets. Good bullets in this ballpark include 110 Hornady Vmax, 110 & 120 Barnes TAC-TX, 125 Sierra MK, 125 Hornady SST.

My best accuracy is with ADI 125 HPBT. Although I had a couple of groups around 1.5" at 100 yards, the ammo produced 5 groups of .8" to 1.2" at 100 yards. It's my primary ammo now if I want accuracy. I've shot the ADI 125 out to 375 yards and it holds 1 MOA, plus or minus a touch.

Hornady 110 VMax is the next most accurate load, although I've had a few WTF flyers. Flyers being noticeably high and low impacts, not caused by stupid trigger pulls on my part. The flyers have occurred once every 30-40 rounds, and become noticeable at distances of 100 yards and beyond. Note that a buddy who shoots a fair amount of 300blk uses 110 Vmax as his accuracy load.

A notch down (but still pretty good) in accuracy is Hornady 125 HP American Gunner and Hornady 125 SST. Barnes 110 Vortex is a really accurate load, but the copper bullet doesn't produce splash on painted steel targets.

Sig's 125 HPBT is a really accurate load, but I was getting a lot of popped primers, with the primers lodging so badly that my gun kept going down. Fiocchi's 125 SST is quite accurate for me, but it also suffered from popped primers that took the gun down.

My blackout tolerates Magtech 123 FMJ and American Eagle 150. These are my loads for close-ish steel target work, say 25-125 yards.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fritz, I appreciate the post. I have never had the opportunity to for groups with rifles as i have with pistols. I have a few books on my summer reading list for distance rifle shooting. I am hoping to start taking up reloading next year. Maybe, then I can really sit down and learn that portion of the shooting arts.

I figured the 140-150 grain bullets were cheap FMJ milsurp crap. It seemed to be the worst of my groups.

I will see how it does after i get back. I have an adventure coming up that will keep me from working with my guns till then.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I am hoping to start taking up reloading next year. Maybe, then I can really sit down and learn that portion of the shooting arts.

I figured the 140-150 grain bullets were cheap FMJ milsurp crap. It seemed to be the worst of my groups.

It's not so much that FMJ bullets are milsurp crap, it's just that FMJ bullets are mass produced, with less attention to precision flight characteristics. Whether light, heavy, or in between -- FMJ bullets aren't very accurate. The one possible exception are those made by Lapua, but their FMJ bullets are roughly the same cost as match-grade bullets from other companies.

There's no doubt that hand loading can produce more consistent and more accurate ammo, and at a lower component cost. IMO the question becomes how much more accuracy is required and how does one value the personal time consumed during the loading process. I have no time for handloading, therefore I rely on manufactured ammo.