SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 question - 5.56 chamber vs. .223 Wylde
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 question - 5.56 chamber vs. .223 Wylde Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just checked the PSA website and they indeed have several rifles with .223 WYLDE in the description.

The Wylde chamber is designed to make the fat 5.56 NATO chamber tighter at the leade and allow the use of long bullets.

I would not hesitate to fire 5.56 NATO ammo in that chamber. The rifles in which this chamber is available are twisted in 1:7 and 1:8, definitely made for the long bullets or the 5.56 NATO rounds with their 62gr M856 SS-108 type bullets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Super Shooter:
Not trying to hijack here, but this thread has peaked my curiosity. Lately PSA has been offering .223 Wylde chambered barrels at a good price. I have heard it stated that you should not fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber. I have also heard that the .223 Wylde chamber can offer increased accuracy, which apparently is debatable. So my main question is, can you safely shoot 5.56 out of a .223 Wydle with no high pressure issues?

A Wylde chamber safely handles the pressures of the 5.56, its dimensions are between the .223 & 5.56 chambers.
As to the "opinion" that it's more or less accurate I'll say this...
A Wylde chamber is not a magical thing.
If you mate a Wylde chamber to a crap barrel you won't get an accurate rifle.
My barrel / chamber configuration yields me fantastic accuracy With match grade ammo.
But I feel some get the feeling that the chamber itself is the deciding factor when it's simply one more option on the list when working towards building an accurate rifle ' That You Will Be Shooting Both .233 & 5.56 with' !!
And I think that last sentence is the key.
The Wylde chamber retains the maximum amount of accuracy of the .223 while allowing you to also shoot the higher pressure 5.56.
But if you're looking to do mag dumps with 5.56 I'd look elsewhere.

YMMV

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
A Wylde chamber safely handles the pressures of the 5.56, its dimensions are between the .223 & 5.56 chambers.

No, it's not. As I explained earlier the Wylde chamber is essentially a 5.56 NATO chamber with a tight freebore or leade diameter, actually .224 as used by the .223 Remington instead of the .226 of the 5.56 NATO chamber. The rest of the Wylde chamber is all 5.56 NATO.

I should point out that there are numerous interpretation of the Wylde and NATO chambers and they vary depending on who makes the reamer, but what I described above is essentially it.

quote:

As to the "opinion" that it's more or less accurate I'll say this...
A Wylde chamber is not a magical thing.
If you mate a Wylde chamber to a crap barrel you won't get an accurate rifle.
My barrel / chamber configuration yields me fantastic accuracy With match grade ammo.
But I feel some get the feeling that the chamber itself is the deciding factor when it's simply one more option on the list when working towards building an accurate rifle ' That You Will Be Shooting Both .233 & 5.56 with' !!
And I think that last sentence is the key.
The Wylde chamber retains the maximum amount of accuracy of the .223 while allowing you to also shoot the higher pressure 5.56.
But if you're looking to do mag dumps with 5.56 I'd look elsewhere.

YMMV

The Wylde chamber does NOT retain the maximum amount of accuracy of the .223. The cartridge is still loose in the chamber and the leade is very long if you do not use long 80gr+ bullets. As I said, the only thing the Wylde chamber has for "added accuracy" is a tighter leade diameter.

The 5.56 NATO Match chamber from Krieger is much more accurate but be warned, it is extremely tight and it is designed for use with long bullets. I know it's tight because when I upgraded my Wylde chambered barrel to a new Krieger barrel with their 5.56 NATO Match chamber, all the brass I had been using effortlessly in my Wylde chamber was suddenly too big for the new chamber and had to be dumped. Gasp, 300 cases of thrice fired Lapua brass, now toast. Ever since then I have been resizing the brass used in that chamber with a small base die.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
The 5.56 NATO Match chamber from Krieger is much more accurate but be warned, it is extremely tight and it is designed for use with long bullets. I know it's tight because when I upgraded my Wylde chambered barrel to a new Krieger barrel with their 5.56 NATO Match chamber, all the brass I had been using effortlessly in my Wylde chamber was suddenly too big for the new chamber and had to be dumped. Gasp, 300 cases of thrice fired Lapua brass, now toast. Ever since then I have been resizing the brass used in that chamber with a small base die.

Is the Krieger NATO match the same as their USMC SAM-R chamber?

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

Is the Krieger NATO match the same as their USMC SAM-R chamber?

I had a SAM-R barrel (it was a phenomenal shooter), and I didn't have to use small base dies to load for it. IF I recall correctly it was stamped 5.56 Match.

Something as simple as turning in the die an 1/8 of a turn might have had my brass small enough to work, even if I wasn't using a small based die.

I had purchased mine from BCM, not directly from Krieger. I was told they were Krieger blanks. It is possible BCM spec'ed a larger chamber than the barrels direct from Krieger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not familiar with the USMC SAM-R chamber so I had to do some research. As I stated earlier, lots of people have variations on the Wylde chamber concept.

If I understood my research correctly, Compass Lake Engineering is the one that chambers and the Krieger barrel blanks for the SAM-Rifles. I found no reference to the SAM-R chamber at Krieger, their chamberings for the .223/5.56 calibers are .223 Rem, .223 Wylde and 5.56 MATCH. The one I ordered 10 years ago was the 5.56 MATCH.

I pulled the description of those chamberings from the Krieger catalog downloaded from their website:

"Please specify chamber, either .223 Remington (for 40-77 grain bullets), 5.56 Match (for bullets 80 grains and over loaded beyond magazine length), or .223 Wylde (for use with all types of commercial and US spec NATO ammo)."

A cntl-f with "SAM-R" comes up empty. I seriously it would be equivalent to the 5.56 Match chambering. Best way to be sure is to call them @ 262-628-8558 and report back here.