SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 question - 5.56 chamber vs. .223 Wylde
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 question - 5.56 chamber vs. .223 Wylde Login/Join 
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted
Let me pick the brains of our AR-15 enthusiasts.

My plan is to build an 18 inch-barelled AR to punch small groups in paper targets. I am looking for accuracy. It's going to be a range gun, not a home defense build.

I'm seeing similar barrels offered in 5.56 chambering as well as .223 Wylde. I think I understand the difference between the two.

My question is, would one or the other chamber dimension have any effect on the accuracy of the rifle?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don't know if one is better than the other for my intended purpose.

I shoot mostly 5.56 ammo, so it might not make a difference.

If this was your project, which would you pick, and why?

Thanks!

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Theoretically the Wylde's shorter leade would give you better accuracy over the NATO chamber whether you're firing NATO ammunition or not. Having said that, Patrick Sweeney did an article some time back where he comparison-shot a couple of rifles and didn't find that there was that much of a difference in accuracy. The Wylde chamber did shoot (very) marginally better, IIRC.

Since its a range gun, (1) a marginal improvement in accuracy sounds worthwhile, (2) you're not going to find yourself in a situation where you may need to fire the rifle whether the chamber's been scrubbed out recently or not, and (3) you're unlikely to find yourself forced to try to get by with whatever ammunition happens to be available and therefore in need of all the slack you can get from more generous chamber dimensions.

IOW, I'd go ahead and get the Wylde if I were in your position and wanted one. It can't hurt.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Il Cattivo, I was not aware of the Wylde characteristics.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have one AR with a 'Wylde' chamber. It's a mid weight with a Shilen barrel set up for prairie dogging. I also only really shoot 50-55 grain bullets with it.

If you plan to shoot heavier(longer) bullets, it may be a consideration somewhat.

When I was talking to the smith about this Wilde chamber he said he could write a list with over 100 different chamber designations for the 223/5.56 rifle. I realize there are only a handful of the more common ones.

The Wylde has worked for me.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shoot mostly 5.56 ammo, so it might not make a difference

Wylde chamber and Match Ammo will give you the best results.
556 Ammo will work of course and be better in the Wylde chambered barrel but you will be wasting accuracy.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

556 Ammo will work of course and be better in the Wylde chambered barrel but you will be wasting accuracy.

Well then, it's the excuse I needed to buy more ammo Smile

Appreciate the advice!

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

My plan is to build an 18 inch-barelled AR to punch small groups in paper targets. I am looking for accuracy. It's going to be a range gun, not a home defense build.

I'm seeing similar barrels offered in 5.56 chambering as well as .223 Wylde.

.223 Wylde, without question.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will take a walk on the Wylde side. (With apologies to the late, great Lou Reed.)

Thanks for the advice, gents.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Another Wylde devotee. Best of both worlds IMO. I've had both and my Wylde chambered barrels are more accurate.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Well then, it's the excuse I needed to buy more ammo Smile

Appreciate the advice!

Or better yet, reload or load your own custom loads.
For factory loads Fed Gold Match ammo doesgreat too.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A 223 Wylde chamber will allow you to shoot anything you can get your hands on, while giving you match grade accuracy with match grade ammo. Rifles chambered in true 5.56 will not be as accurate with match grade ammo, and rifles chambered in SAAMI 223 shouldn't be used with 5.56 NATO ammo. It's the best of both worlds.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are any number of Wylde equivalents offered by various makers. Bill Wylde is a Service Rifle shooter and he came up with a chamber that would accept most any cartridge in semi-auto but would have a tighter leade so as to provide some modicum of extra accuracy. That is fine for Service Rifle targets but if you need greater accuracy, you have to look elsewhere. For instance, Krieger offers their 5.56 NATO Match chambering that is much tighter than a Wylde chamber but has a longer leade to accommodate 80 and 90 gr bullets.

Beyond the fact the Wylde and the 5.56 NATO (regular) share the same porky dimensions of the case itself, the Remington .223 has a tighter chamber and a very short leade which is why 5.56 ammo with big bullets can create more pressure. Extend the leade and you're good to go.

It all depends on what's critical for you; if you need flawless semi or full auto chambering from whatever, then 5.56 or Wylde is the way to go. If you want somewhat better accuracy due to a less loose neck in the chamber, Wylde is the one for you. If you want topnotch accuracy from your ammo or factory match ammo, you need to do more research.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have five barrels chambered in 5.56 and one in .223. I don't own an Wylde barrels, but have briefly shot rifles with that chamber. I shoot factory ammo.

My .223 barrel is noticeably more accurate than my 5.56 barrels. I did not feel that the Wylde guns I shot were more accurate than my 5.56 barrels, but I have limited experience here.

I have not yet found factory 5.56 match ammo that shoots as accurately as .223 match ammo in my 5.56 barrels. Same for ball ammo and varmint ammo. As a result, I haven't purchased 5.56 ammo in many years.

If accuracy is truly your goal:
-- hand load your ammo, assuming you have the experience to equal or exceed factory ammo's accuracy levels
-- if you hand load, any chamber should work, as you should be able to tune the ammo to the barrel
-- if you use factory ammo, get a .223 ammo and shoot quality .223 match or varmint ammo
-- choose a Wylde chamber over a 5.56 chamber if you must have the ability to shoot 5.56 ammo

And of course, much depends on your definition of accuracy. What is your goal for consistent accuracy for 5-round groups at the distances you expect to shoot?

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I just go out and shoot to have fun. I don't compete, and am not looking for five shots through one hole. I guess if that was my goal, I would be going with a bolt gun. Right now my intention is to build a gun that is somewhat more accurate than the average self defense AR-15.

I also don't hand load. Just buy decent factory ammo and go the range. I wish I had the time , the budget and the space at home to set up a nice reloading bench, but at this stage in life I don't.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just go out and shoot to have fun. I don't compete, and am not looking for five shots through one hole. I guess if that was my goal, I would be going with a bolt gun. Right now my intention is to build a gun that is somewhat more accurate than the average self defense AR-15.

I also don't hand load. Just buy decent factory ammo and go the range. I wish I had the time , the budget and the space at home to set up a nice reloading bench, but at this stage in life I don't.

In that case (pardon the pun,) do get a Wylde or equivalent chamber and have a lot of fun.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am a handloader and enjoy it as a hobby in addition to shooting. But if you look at the value of time, I can only justify it because I do it on rainy saturdays and bitter cold winter evenings.

Unless you are putting a serious # of rounds down range, many people would be far ahead just buying their ammo.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Yep.

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I am a handloader and enjoy it as a hobby in addition to shooting. But if you look at the value of time, I can only justify it because I do it on rainy saturdays and bitter cold winter evenings.

Unless you are putting a serious # of rounds down range, many people would be far ahead just buying their ammo.[/QUOTE]

That's me, I work two shifts of OT & order 3,000rds of 5.56 for blasting paper & steel.
But my 223Wylde chambered AR gets hunting or match grade ammo & shoots better than anything I own.
It's a RRA Predator, air gauged, cryogenically treated, match grade heavy barrel.
Sadly it sits in the safe more than any other AR I own.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not trying to hijack here, but this thread has peaked my curiosity. Lately PSA has been offering .223 Wylde chambered barrels at a good price. I have heard it stated that you should not fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber. I have also heard that the .223 Wylde chamber can offer increased accuracy, which apparently is debatable. So my main question is, can you safely shoot 5.56 out of a .223 Wydle with no high pressure issues?

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post