SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Getting my pick of a new CZ rifle...but which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting my pick of a new CZ rifle...but which one? Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted
As the title says...

CZ is being very good to me. Recently bought a new, old stock 557 Carbine in 6.5x55 at a gun shop in Big Timber, MT. The model was discontinued in 2017.

After getting it shipped home, upon removal, I discovered that the bolt had some nasty tool marks. I contacted CZ and my service rep asked me to send it in for inspection by their smith.

Got word yesterday that they don’t want me to shoot the rifle with that bolt and so they are replacing the rifle for me with a new likewise rifle as they have no more bolts for the 6.5 Swede 557 Carbine.

So there it is...

I’ve already got two 527 carbines in .223/5.56 and 7.6x39.

Also have a 550 FS in 6.5x55.

And also have a 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Any ideas gents? What’s the new rifle going to be?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Brno ZKK 601 .243, 537 Lux .22 Hornet, carbine in 7.62x39mm, American in .223, HS Precision stock Varmint in .223, gave a American .222 to my brother, a early synthetic stock .223 to my son.

I suggest a 527 wood stock varmint in .17 or .222 Rem. if any are left.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
308 and a couple mags for the trouble Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
557 American in 30-06. Carlos Hathcock was an -06 fan!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Not a centerfire, but I really like the CZ455 Varmint I have in .17 HMR. It’s discontinued but the replacement is supposed be as nice and has a 60* bolt making it easier to clear scopes. I belive the 457 also has interchangeable barrels in .22LR or .22WMR like the 455.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'd be tempted to opt for the same thing if you aren't just soured on the 557. They have the 6.5x55 listed in the current online catalogue, but if they really don't have anymore then maybe this would be an interesting opportunity to try the 6.5 (6.5x48.8) Creedmore. FWIW, their rimfires are always going to be easier to afford than their centerfire rifles.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies thus far.

Forgot to mention that I also have a couple of 452’s for my son and myself.

I’m leaning towards the 557 American in the short action 6.5 Creedmoor to flesh out my 6.5 stable. But I believe the short actions with box magazines are new to the lineup and I can find nearly nothing on the CZ forum or elsewhere regarding to their performance.

Was also curious what you all have to say about their varmiters.

The MTR looks interesting but perhaps of limited usefulness to me as an all-arounder.

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
7mm-08

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get one of the UHRs (ultimate bunting rifle).

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a reminder, CZ also makes some very tasty shotguns. Picked up a new Side x Side and the woodwork on that shotgun is quite lovely. I call it my CZ Double E Double L, Beretta for Extra Extra Lovely Lovely. Note, if you think that shooting a rifle at a target that isn't moving is interesting you should try hitting a 4 inch disc moving at something between 30 and 75 mph and doing that with a Target Focused technique. Makes hitting a piece of paper look like a slow walk in the park.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Hey Scooter....

yes indeed.....but I believe the price point is that much higher above that of the rifle that they may not do that exchange for me....haven't asked though.

Not to hijack my own thread but a CZ SxS is on the radar.

Which one did you get, Bobwhite G2 with the double triggers and straight stock or the Sharptail with the single trigger and the PofW grip and which gauge? How does it shoot for you? How does it handle? Are the barrels regulated satisfactorily....the trigger ?

Thanks,
X

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I know you were looking for a smaller caliber, but I'd ask if they have a 9.3x62 Mannlicher hanging around...

https://www.shootersupplyusa.c...-mannlicher-5rd.html

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 in 17 Hornet...it’sanice!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Hey Scooter....

yes indeed.....but I believe the price point is that much higher above that of the rifle that they may not do that exchange for me....haven't asked though.

Not to hijack my own thread but a CZ SxS is on the radar.

Which one did you get, Bobwhite G2 with the double triggers and straight stock or the Sharptail with the single trigger and the PofW grip and which gauge? How does it shoot for you? How does it handle? Are the barrels regulated satisfactorily....the trigger ?

Thanks,
X

Mine is the Sharp Tail Target with 30 inch barrels and a mid rib bead. When I pattern tested it the shotgun was perfectly regulated on center with a 60/40 pattern with the beads stacked.

Now, there were a couple of minor issues I had to correct.

First is that the hammers were WAY over sprung. Made cocking the shotgun rather difficult. Ordered a spare set of springs from CZ and cut 5/16 inch off them. Reliability is perfect and cocking is much easier.

Second issue ws the laser cut "checkering". Isn't even close to checkering, it's just lines burnt into the wood. So I got out my Ullman Pull checkering file and used the lines to guide the file. Took me about 4-5 hours total but those lines made it easy and it now looks damned good. Tip, when using a checkering file PATIENCE is Critical. Don't even think about trying to rush the job, instead use a light touch and multiple passes to work the depth down.

Once finished then get some Tung or Boiled Linseed Oil and put a light coat on the checkering and blot up any excess you can pick up. Wait a week between coats and after about 3 coats you'll have a good protective Oil Finish. Note, Tung Oil is the best but it is slower to harden fully. One big plus for Tung Oil is that it's not just water resistant, it's water repellent. Oddest thing you'll ever see the first time you see it, water beads up on a Tung Oil finish like on a freshly waxed car.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post