SIGforum
Nikon is apparently quitting the rifle scope business

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4580026364

November 26, 2019, 06:26 PM
sasquatch28
Nikon is apparently quitting the rifle scope business
Saw on another site. I will miss their affordable quality products.
November 26, 2019, 06:38 PM
sigfreund
It is mentioned on several sites.
Has anyone seen any indication that the policy change is intended as some sort of statement about their use on guns?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
November 26, 2019, 07:41 PM
RHINOWSO
Sniper Hide seems to say it's lack of innovation, poor business model, etc.

Their stuff never interested me and the scopes I looked through were meh.

Sad to see but innovate or perish.
November 27, 2019, 09:45 AM
NikonUser
Yeah, just because it's on Sniper's Hide doesn't make it true.

One must understand that the riflescope business is a very small portion of Nikon's business and that while the original scopes they had were made in Japan the more recent ones were made elsewhere.

Nikon has always been at the cutting edge in optics, and some of their scopes are amazing, while others, not so much. I regret not grabbing one of their Monarch 5 with ED glass.

Speculating about why they are exiting the riflescope business is just that: speculation. We may come to find out why in good time. I will be on the lookout for some close out deals.
November 27, 2019, 11:49 AM
YooperSigs
My Nikon scopes have been excellent. But as previously stated there is a wide span of quality and price. I think most people opt for the lower end scopes. Their higher end scopes dont seem to compete well with the other high $$$ brands.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
November 27, 2019, 12:20 PM
Micropterus
I've heard this before. I googled it and there's other forum posts from 2010 asserting that Nikon was quitting the scope business. Then in 2012 there's a post on a camera forum that animal rights activist were after Nikon for marketing scopes to hunters.

I'll believe it when it happens.

November 29, 2019, 03:48 PM
wingspar
I’m not into scopes, but the two scopes I do have are both Nikon. Good scopes for the money, but in my opinion the rifle scope market is over saturated and there are other good scopes out there for the same money. If Nikon doesn’t want our business, fine. They won’t miss us and we won’t miss them.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
November 29, 2019, 03:52 PM
parabellum
I don't think this is any great loss, no matter what their reason.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
December 02, 2019, 07:08 PM
Black92LX
Guess I’ll be looking for a Black FX1000 6-24 sooner than planned.
I have 2 Nikon scopes that are great. My next planned purchase is a bolt gun in 6.5 Creedmoor that I had planned to put a black on.

Wonder if they will still honor the lifetime warranty.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
December 03, 2019, 05:44 AM
6 Fan
Eurooptic.com is having a clearance on all the Black series they have in stock. Some of them almost half off.
December 03, 2019, 10:38 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

At some point of time, Nikon will no longer have replacement parts for any scopes they once sold.

At some point of time, Nikon will no longer have a different scope model in stock to replace a customer-returned model that needs repair.

And there's your lifetime warranty.
December 03, 2019, 11:46 AM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:

At some point of time, Nikon will no longer have replacement parts for any scopes they once sold.

At some point of time, Nikon will no longer have a different scope model in stock to replace a customer-returned model that needs repair.

Wonder if they’ll offer a credit on other Nikon stuff like Sig does with their no longer supported but warrantied models.

————————————————
December 03, 2019, 11:55 AM
fpuhan
Nikon's fortunes appear to be slipping. It was reported earlier that Nikon had dropped to #3 in camera sales, behind Canon and Sony.

They also seem to be tightening up their camera body and lens business. Fourth quarter jitters, or something else?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
December 03, 2019, 02:23 PM
92fstech
This is unfortunate. I own a couple of Nikon's low-end 'Prostaff' scopes, and for what they are I've been very happy with them. Clear glass with forgiving eye relief, and they've held zero just fine on anything I've put them on. They definitely aren't high-end glass, but I've been much happier with them than anything else I've looked at in that price range.
December 03, 2019, 02:53 PM
smithnsig
At one time they were the best of the cheap scopes. Their mid range didn't do any thing for me. Now everybody is badge engineering cheap chinese glass and it's actually not bad. Too much saturation of basically the same thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...
December 03, 2019, 05:05 PM
RHINOWSO
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wonder if they’ll offer a credit on other Nikon stuff like Sig does with their no longer supported but warrantied models.

You wonder if they'll go the way of Sears with Craftsman tools being 'Lifetime Warrantied'.

But maybe we are already seeing that if they are indeed closing up shop on scopes...
December 03, 2019, 07:16 PM
Rob Decker
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to do if they no longer make scopes at all.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.
December 03, 2019, 08:44 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hard to do if they no longer make scopes at all.

Nikon is not closing up shop completely. They make a bunch of other products.

————————————————
December 28, 2019, 11:15 AM
PD
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Nikon's fortunes appear to be slipping. It was reported earlier that Nikon had dropped to #3 in camera sales, behind Canon and Sony.

I love Nikon but these are self-inflicted injuries. It’s what happens when you go from the leading edge to the trailing edge.
January 03, 2020, 08:59 AM
NikonUser
It's January 3rd and the Nikon site has nothing about leaving the riflescope arena. They have all sorts of data about the various scopes they sell.

SHOT show is in a few weeks, I will make a point to visit the Nikon booth to see. They usually have a ginormous booth, like SIG.

ETA: It appears they are not listed as exhibitors at SHOT 2020. Hmmm.