SIGforum
Finally found the one and done AR

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4560070334

November 12, 2017, 11:30 AM
WARPIG602
Finally found the one and done AR
While I have a few AR's they are geared towards specific requirements I found myself lacking an all around blaster since my exodus from the MCX world. It's basically a blend of all my other guns best features in one. So much so I find myself going to this one more and more. Nothing fancy, just a simple setup that can be upgraded or downgraded for other purposes(the main reason I went quad rail instead of Mlok, and I like quad rails) such as NV, higher magnified optics, bipods, or just red dot for a lighter setup. As it sits its pretty much ideal for 90% of things(still waiting on the cloud defensive switch and light to be fully complete).

The base gun is a Daniel Defense V5S, the 14.5 barrel is a good compromise between handling and velocity. I'm still undecided if I'll run a can on this one but leaning towards yes, thinking the Sandman K would be ideal while not adding much. Only things replaced from the factory components was the trigger(c'mon DD, you're trying to tell me you cant put an MBT style value based upgraded trigger in these for the price?) with a Geiselle SD-C. The charging handle was swapped for a Raptor. DD did start using ambi safeties which is a nice touch. I sent the LaRue mount to MAD custom coating who matched the DD Milspec+ finish 100% correct.....which im a huge stickler about. Mounted in that is a Leupold VX6 1-6 with the illuminated SPR reticle. This setup gets me short to medium range with no issues. Red dots are a shrinking commodity on my AR's these days. BUIS are a set of Troy that I had left over from another build. Top it off with a VCAS sling and call it a day.
Still waiting for the Cloud Defensive light setup but other than that it's done and I can't really think of anything else it needs. Easily the most usable AR I now own. If I'm leaving town for good, this and the SCAR 17 are coming with me.

Excuse the lower quality photos, still playing with the Sony A6300 and havent quite got it dialed in yet.

November 12, 2017, 12:32 PM
Rustpot
Nice setup.

I've yet to settle on my AR configurations, but the next build is definitely going to be premium parts in a similar setup with a low-power variable optic. I have enough red dot guns, an AR with a big scope, and my SCAR 17 is the only gun with 1-4 or similar. I have an Aero stripped lower waiting, and components #1 and 2 are Geissele trigger and maritime bolt catch.

Right now my go-to is a 14.5" DD lightweight midlength upper with the front sight post and magpul furniture in foliage, sporting an Aimpoint on top.
November 12, 2017, 12:55 PM
WARPIG602
After giving the LPVO option a serious look rather than a few trips to the range here and there, they are really starting to show their value. Im down to an Eotech EXPS 3 and RMR for red dots rifle optics. I do keep a T1 in the safe though should the need arise to swap out a LPVO if the need arises.

I spent the last 3 months trying out jsut about everyu LPVO I can get my hands on and the VX6 was damn near perfect when considering cost. I also wanted 1-5 or 1-6 on this particular rifle so that narrowed the field a bit.

November 12, 2017, 04:18 PM
dewhorse
I have been contemplating the vx6 for 2 years, curious with what you compared it to before buying it?

Which reticle did you go with? How does the auto off/on work?
November 12, 2017, 04:34 PM
mbinky
That is very nice. I have used DD barrels and found them to be top notch. I'm quite sure their rfles are the same.
November 12, 2017, 04:49 PM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I have been contemplating the vx6 for 2 years, curious with what you compared it to before buying it?

Which reticle did you go with? How does the auto off/on work?

Kahles K16 1-6
Eotech Vudu 1-6
Trijicon Accupower 1-8
Leupold VX5 1-5
Steiner Military 1-4
Trijicon Accupower 1-4
Leupold VXR 1.25-4
Burris XTR II 1-5

This one has the SPR reticle, I have another with the #4 Firedot reticle. I could have gone either way and been happy. The auto on is pretty nice, I haven't been able to beat it yet so I figure its working well. Not sure how long it will go on a battery with normal use, which I'm sure will vary from person to person. I paid 650.00 for the VX6 and at that price it was a pretty easy decision. Other optics may have had better performance in some areas but the Leupold was consistently at the top. I weighed out the following, in no particular order

-Weight(this was huge to me as the Steiner was fantastic optically but weighed like 25oz)

-Length

-FOV at 10m and 100m

-Maginifcation

-Price

-Clarity

-Warranty

If price was not a factor, the Kahles would be my choice. I may still get one if the right deal comes along. The new VX6HD should be bit better in the illumination department but they seldom can be found for under 1k and at that price things change a bit.

November 12, 2017, 04:49 PM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
That is very nice. I have used DD barrels and found them to be top notch. I'm quite sure their rfles are the same.

I agree, my home builds all got DD barrels.

November 12, 2017, 05:03 PM
Riley
Very nice! One thing I’ll be doing from now on is using longer handrails. 7” just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
November 12, 2017, 05:12 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Very nice! One thing I’ll be doing from now on is using longer handrails. 7” just doesn’t cut it for me anymore.

15" is the new 12" Big Grin

November 12, 2017, 05:42 PM
Riley
I’m debating trading my 7” Geissele MK4 for a 13”, the 15” may be too long. Older version gun to the OP.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
November 12, 2017, 05:46 PM
WARPIG602
13 should fit on a 14.5 nicely.

November 13, 2017, 09:49 AM
RHINOWSO
Similar to my "do all". BCM 16" with a Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24 and similar mods.
November 13, 2017, 10:25 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24

I had actually planned to look through a Razor but then I saw it was like 30oz or something ridiculous.

November 13, 2017, 11:14 AM
RHINOWSO
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24

I had actually planned to look through a Razor but then I saw it was like 30oz or something ridiculous.
They are a little hefty. I have considered a 1-6x VX-6 but the uncapped turrets turned me off. Now they got rid of them, and now the scope altogether.

I do like the lightweight of some of the Leupolds, the Mark AR 1.5-4 was featherweight, but also 1.5x.

The PST Gen 2 is a bit lighter at 22 oz vs the Razor 25 oz.
November 13, 2017, 11:47 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24

They are a little hefty. I have considered a 1-6x VX-6 but the uncapped turrets turned me off. Now they got rid of them, and now the scope altogether.

I do like the lightweight of some of the Leupolds, the Mark AR 1.5-4 was featherweight, but also 1.5x.

The PST Gen 2 is a bit lighter at 22 oz vs the Razor 25 oz.

The VX6 never had uncapped turrets. Maybe you're thinking of the MK6. They still make the VX6, just called VX6HD now.
I had a 1.25-4 VXR and I almost debated just using that considering its sub 400.00 price. Its listed as 1.25 but I believe it was actually closer to 1.5.

November 13, 2017, 11:54 AM
RHINOWSO
I guess I always saw the occasional photo of a VX6 with uncapped turrets, but I could be confused since the MK series was uncapped.

Although the new VX-6HD has uncapped turrets.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...hd-1-6x24mm-multigun
November 13, 2017, 01:53 PM
LDD
quote:
Red dots are a shrinking commodity on my AR's these days.

Nice stick. DD makes the only quad rails that I will still recommend or personally use.

With regard to optics, I have come to a similar conclusion. I only have unaccompanied red dots on my .22s. Even my 11.5" SBR wears an Eotech with magnifier. But for 14.5"+ carbine, LPVO grants the user more flexibility, more information gathering capacity, but retains adequate tactical flexibility and just makes more sense in the generalist role that many regular folks will find themselves in should they ever be called upon to use their carbines in a social setting.
November 13, 2017, 02:03 PM
Chris Anchor
Very Nice. Chris
November 13, 2017, 03:30 PM
Voshterkoff
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

15" is the new 12"

I thought the 13" rail on my 16" rifle was plenty long, but now I'm not sure how to cram a dbal on it.
November 15, 2017, 02:25 PM
danSIG
I always heard/read nothing but good things about DD but those quad rails put me off.
I was debating between this rifle and the M400Ti and in the end I went with Sig.
So far it's amazing.
Once I saw some money I will go DD but I'll swap that handguard for something else for sure.