SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Retro AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retro AR Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
A while back, I lucked into a low mileage M-16 pencil barrel complete upper. The stock set I've had for more than 20 years, and the lower is a Palmetto "blem", which I'm finding a difficult time finding a flaw. I threw the lower half together this morning, and viola- not pristine, but I'm pleased with the results.

Correct stock set, full bird cage, tear drop forward assist, and no brass deflector. I'm torn on refinishing the bupper assembly, but the 2-tone look is appealing to me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A real M16 will have experience.

Don't change a thing.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't refinish a thing!

I love it.

I'm jonesing for a worn A2 clone just to have something close to what I carried.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
It looks great.
Don't refinish it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking rifle right there.

I'm going to be doing two of them, a XM16E1 transitional, around 1967ish vintage with a three prong flash hider , trapdoor buttstock and​ partial fence lower.

The other is going to be a XM177, I'm still gathering up the parts, but I got most of the hard to find stuff.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, I even found a reproduction of the field and maintenance manual comic book. I also found reproduction of the Mitchell camouflage helmet cover.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have an impossible to find surplus IDF telescopic sight on mine.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I have an impossible to find surplus IDF telescopic sight on mine.

Marzy, that is one incredible package.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Don't refinish that upper! Get some Norrel's Moly Resin and finish your lower to grey.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of these retro ARs.

There is a Nodak Spud A1 upper as well as a couple of A2 uppers sitting in my safe just waiting on parts to complete them.

I should have bought what parts I could when I saw them available.
Reasonably priced parts are getting harder to find.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Every time I see one of these M16/A1 threads, I get the urge to build one. Very cool rifle.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.
I am always amazed at how a nice old School AR can feel in the hand.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post