SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Remington 870 Police SBS ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 870 Police SBS ? Login/Join 
posted
So as I already own an SBR and have a trust, I was thinking of looking at an SBS. The Remington 870 Police SBS, specifically model 82660 14" caught my eye. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge with these? I currently have an 18.5" Wingmaster as my house shotgun, but figured the shorter the better , perhaps. Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: I pulled the trigger so to speak, just purchased model 24429 which is the bead sight. Couldn't beat the price on it and I don't mind the wait to get it in, this is going to serve me well for years to come.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 94hokie,

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My PD used the 14 inch 870 for years. No problems with the guns and much handier than the 18 inch. Easier to store and deploy from a patrol car. Ours patterned best with Federal Tactical Reduced Recoil OOB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Yooper. We carried those in our cars and they handle easy and shoot well. They would make a good home gun.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
The Remington 870 Police SBS, specifically model 82660 14" caught my eye. Does anybody have any first hand knowledge with these?

I could be tempted to pick up one of those. Thank you for pointing it out.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
They are nice, handy guns. I’m always a little surprised by what a difference 4 inches makes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, looks like I will buy one and do the 8 or 10 month wait.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted, please.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Love mine. I’ll post a pic once the household is awake

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
That's my issued shotgun (with the exception of standard rifle sights vs. the 82660's low-profile sights.)

A Wilson/Scattergun "+1" extension fits perfectly... no protrusion past muzzle.

Like YooperSigs, we use Federal reduced recoil (OO and slug) and they pattern well.

Nary a problem with the guns that weren't attributable to user error. Most of ours have Hogue short stocks to make them a tiny bit more compact. Working in tight confines with them is a breeze.

When I move to a free state, one of these will be my first purchase.

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 14" Vang Comp. Awesome and extremely accurate.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Did the Vang Comp treatment for the barrel make a significant difference?

quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I can't really say for sure as I never shot the 14" barrel before it was converted. I was told it makes a pretty significant difference, especially at longer distances.

quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Did the Vang Comp treatment for the barrel make a significant difference?

quote:
Originally posted by VANQUISH:

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had 14” barrels when I was in the USCG, used 00buck out to 10 yards and switched to slugs after that.

Great when searching ships tight confines.

I currently use a moss berg with an 18 inch barrel and have thought of a Short shotgun, but can’t justify another $200 stamp. When the 18” does just fine.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My agency ran the Remington 870P w/ 14" barrel, Parkerized, and rifle sights. We were a small agency and only had eight in service for 15+ years. Never had any problems with 00 Buck/Rifled Slugs. Given the short barrel, I did not notice an increased report/flash.

They rode well in the racks placed between the front seats that later included a double-mount for our AR-15 rifles. They handled well in confined spaces. Tried and proven design. I believe that Surefire makes a dedicated for-end for the 870.

HTH.

Posts: 81 | Location: SW PA USA | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
My agency owns a couple thousand of those. Been issuing them out for 20 years now. Fantastic weapon. No issues other than the usual maintenance kind of thing. Super handy. Love them.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I obtained and outfitted 25 of them for my department a few years back. They have been reliable. We shoot LE132 00 buckshot (9 pellet, low recoil, flite control) and LE127 LRS slugs (low recoil, Tru Ball). Our guns have a modified choke and keep the pattern within torso width out to about 30 yards. We find that the 9 pellet load results in a "known flyer" where there will universally be one pellet that is obviously outside of the group (but still close enough to not cause concern). I have heard this doesn't happen with 8 pellet.

All of that said, I'll echo the others that say that the 14" gun is extremely handy.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Late last year, I was looking for an 82660 14".

For all the reasons stated above, HD being the priority, with reduced recoil loads.

In the timeframe allotted last year, I picked up a Mossberg Shockwave.

Sigfreund is right, I remember how useful it is.
Dry-fly thanks for sharing.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I have a factory Remington SBS that came with plastic stock. I replaced it with wood stock and added a side mount shell holder. All good.

Before:

After:

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While I don't shoot it often, having an SBS is nice. I bought a 590A1 SBS 14", LEO turn years back. I'm sure an 870 14" would be just as nice.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post