SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Universal M1 Carbine (ish)...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Universal M1 Carbine (ish)... Login/Join 
posted
Let's get this out of the way up front... I did not buy this wonderful POS nor would I have.

That said, my father bought a Universal manufactured M1 Carbine-ish rifle. Has a mid 300k serial so the proprietary parts models toward the end of the run. Anyway, he wants to shoot it, but it has a broken stock. Don't have the heart to tell him to junk it as he thought he had something.

Can anyone direct me toward a new/used/repo stock for the dual recoil assembly Universal carbines? All I saw @ numrich was more $ than he has in the gun.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought about gluing it?
Brownells acraglass and some pins can do wonders.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can a GI-style stock be modified to work for the Universal, or would it be more effort than it's worth doing?

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Word of caution: The later production models can have a tendency to fire out of battery.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, how & where ‘broken’ factor in. Plus, if the gun quality is sketchy, may as well do a repair over a replacement stock anyway.

I’ll give any gun a chance, clean, lube, & try a few types of ammo.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stock is split across the main action channel, diagonally from just behind the trigger group to the charging handle on the right and from the heat shield to the magwell on the left. Two separate pieces.

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
Thought about gluing it?
Brownells acraglass and some pins can do wonders.

this,

if you wanna go cheap, small brass screws from a hardware store and some good epoxy

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a woodcraft store or rockler near by or any wood working store go there and see what they have for special wood glue. They should be able to help. Also if you have cracks in the stock drill a small hole on each end of the crack to keep it from spreading. Maybe get a dremel or use a utility blade to open up the crack a little to get more glue or epoxy in there

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stock is split into 2 pieces. More than just cracks in the wood. I will give the acraglass a look.

posted Hide Post
There;s a Boyd stock on EBAY that's modified for a Universal Carbine for $79. Not sure how good it is. Here's the link......there's also a few others but they're $150 or more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unive...e:g:lMYAAOSw-W9a~Zrs

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
There;s a Boyd stock on EBAY that's modified for a Universal Carbine for $79. Not sure how good it is.

That would probably be the OP's best bet. While I don't have experience with their Universal-modified M1 Carbine stocks specifically, Boyds stocks in general are extremely high quality.

They make the new production US rifle stocks for the CMP, as well as most of the wood stocks for the various companies who make new production commercial Garands/Carbines/M14s/etc.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw that listing, but took it to be a Boyds stock that was nodded by the seller instead of a factory item. Guess I misread the ad. Will look into that.