SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute? Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted
Didn't find anything recent on the topic with the search, and I"m about to get a RDS for my AR, so:

Question:
When using a red dot sight what is your preferance?

Choices:
1/3
Absolute

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll be the minority for sure but I prefer absolute.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ You've got company. One never struck me as being more "busy" or more likely to block the shooter from seeing anything downrange than the other. That being the case (for me), simpler is better.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer lower 1/3, for a couple of reasons. If you plan on using night vision, you will need that clearance to look through your optic incase laser, nv goes down. I do not like absolute cowitness, too much in the viewing window. You have front sight, rear sight, red dot, target, I find it cluttered. If you have flip up sights and leave them folded this is less of a problem, I always run mine up, so it does. Even with the sights deployed you can look over the sights and have a small window, approximately the upper 1/3 unobstructed with absolute cowitness. I can use the optic with a pretty unobstructed view with lower 1/3, and if for and reason I need to use irons then I just drop my head down and there they are, which is why I prefer lower 1/3.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I myself don't find it cluttered. I don't really see the fixed iron sights as my focus is on the dot.

Plus with the fold down BUIS, I run mine down. So they are a non issue.

I like absolute, because after zeroing both the iron (or BUIS), and red dot you can reference them to check on their zero.

If one is off from the other, one of them needs to be rezeroed. Time to check your $h!T!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
All of mines are Lower 1/3rd.

quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
I like absolute, because after zeroing both the iron (or BUIS), and red dot you can reference them to check on their zero.

If one is off from the other, one of them needs to be rezeroed.

Except you can do the exact same thing with Lower 1/3rd cowitness.

Compare far left image with far right image:

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
It depends on the irons. If the front and rear are both flip up, I prefer absolute. If there is a fixed front sight post, I prefer lower 1/3

My preference as well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More open optic reticle, less clutter, easier to transition from optic reticle to iron sights without major adjustments.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
On a SCAR with it's higher rail, I have an absolute mount. On ARs, 1/3.

All of mine have flip up sights.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't see the point if you are using the dot you are ignoring the sights and if you are using the sights it is because the dot failed and it is not visible any way. What relationship the dot has to the sight picture is irrelevant since you should not be using both together anyway?

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I use absolute when possible. If the dot fails I can center the front sight in the optic tube and keep going.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chem Geek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
It depends on the irons. If the front and rear are both flip up, I prefer absolute. If there is a fixed front sight post, I prefer lower 1/3

I agree with this as well.

When life closes a door, open it. It's a door. That's how they work.

Posts: 2451 | Location: Riverview, FL | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I prefer absolute. I want one sight picture and one cheek weld. I like that absolute cowitness helps me to quickly verify an established sight picture that's been zeroed. I want the irons in the mix, and I treat the dot as an added part of the original sight picture. Then again, I'm a rifleman and not an operator. I'm not clearing plate racks or timing splits. I'm trying to help give my meager skills any bolster I can.

Hey captain, who says you shouldn't be using both at once, and why do they say that?

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Fixed sight 1/3 food downs 1/2...1/3rd is easier to sell when trying to upgrade or change optics.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Hey captain, who says you shouldn't be using both at once, and why do they say that?

With sights, you have to align the front sight, rear sight, and target ( 3 items), to get accurate hits. With red dots, you put the red dot on the target, (2 items) to get accurate hits. If you use the red dot by attempting to align it up with your front sight, rear sight, and target (4 items) , you are A) doing it wrong and B) wasting time. Since red dots were designed to save time, they have thus been integrated into combat rolls. The last thing you want to do in combat, when getting shot at, is waste time.

If you are using your sights AND red dot at the same time(in cowitnessed alignment), stop it right now. That's ridiculous.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
If you are using your sights AND red dot at the same time(in cowitnessed alignment), stop it right now.

There is actually some value to doing that when zeroing the optic at close distances (≤ 50 yards). It helps ensure the process doesn’t introduce any parallax errors by not having the dot centered in the field of view for every shot. Sights like the EOTech and Aimpoint are supposed to be “parallax free,” but that’s not absolutely true at close ranges. But you’re correct when shooting normally at longer distances.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
bubbatime, you do realize that you don't have to simultaneously use the red dot and the iron just because both are visible, right? As for "stopping it right now", what would you propose that I do for an AK where I can't flip down the sights and being able to see both irons and a red dot at all times doesn't actually pose any problems?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lower third.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
what would you propose that I do for an AK where I can't flip down the sights and being able to see both irons and a red dot at all times doesn't actually pose any problems?

I’m not sure I understand your question, but if it’s, “How do I not use both irons and the red dot when I can see them both?” I believe that’s an issue of what we condition ourselves to focus on. I have a drill that requires shooters to engage a relatively small target (12" plate at 50 yards) from a muzzle-down position as quickly as possible.

In developing my own technique for the drill I found that it works best for me to focus on the target throughout the engagement process and to use my peripheral vision to bring the dot to the target. I also use it for other high speed drills. What I don’t do is first look for the dot and then try to find the target to bring them together. I’ve recommended that technique to other shooters who have also had good results with it.

A side effect of using that technique is that I am literally not aware of the front iron sight even though it occupies the bottom of the field of view through the optical sight. I do position my optic so that the iron is in the lower third of the view because I cannot imagine any advantage to having it up to the center.

If I misinterpreted your question, my apologies and please disregard all of the above.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ It's my fault. I was giving bubbatime a hard time without actually saying anything. Granted that the OP's question is based around the AR, but other rifles don't have iron sights that can be flipped down. In my experience with red dots on a couple of such rifles, looking at the red dot when the iron sights are in place doesn't really seem to lead to any problems. It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but, IMHO, bubbatime was a little more vehement than may have been justified.