SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute? Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Absolute. On my AR the sights are high enough as it is and I have flip down buis or none at all.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but ....

I agree, and admit I didn’t understand what you were getting at.
My “CQB” ARs (training and serious) both have fixed front sights and with a 1/3 view I have never had any problem using them with Aimpoint sights as fast as I could acquire targets. As I mentioned above, I am simply unaware of the iron sights.

And as a somewhat related note, something I have my students practice is using their nonmagnifying optics (Aimpoints, EOTechs, et al.) with the illuminated reticle turned off and no rear BUIS. I just center the target in the “window,” but some shooters like to use the visible front sight (without the rear) as an index even without a rear sight to align it with. With both techniques it’s possible to get reasonably accurate hits on short range targets (to about 15 yards).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Update:
Bought a Holosun HS503GU and just finished mounting it 1/3.

That's how it came set up, and it does seem like a good way to go now that I've looked through it that way. It did come with a low mount, and a battery as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Hope things shoot straight, still need to find out.

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Tried both and have settled on lower 1/3.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the ARs set up.
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Bump.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I like true co-witness. If all goes wrong the red dot becomes a giant ghost ring.

That being said I am no gunfighter nor girlscout and have no desire to run my guns as weapons ever. This is just a low speed, high drag hobbiest's perspective.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Just don't do what I did, Trijicon MRO and Micro BUIS, the BUIS are 1/2 on, 1/2 under the optic. I can barely see the top nub of the front sight post through the rear aperture and optic.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.

Not odd at all. Quite reasonable.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF running a AR with a permanent front sight post/gas block, i prefer 1/3. If running flip up sights, back and front i like absolute.

Edit: i see Grumpy feels the same, had not read his post before posting or would have just said same.

Posts: 6727 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: November 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Irons are fixed height. I'm only varying the RDS mount height. The lower 1/3 mount is more comfortable for me. Absolute feels low for my chubby cheeks.

Either way, I don't see the front sight as I'm looking well past it. So 1/3 is more comfortable and that's the primary influence.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Not odd at all, that is my preferred setup also

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14180 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I went back and forth but ended up with 1/3 with a standard front sight post and DD A1.5 rear sight.

I really liked the absolute, but what got me back to 1/3 was shooting in the dark and especially off hand. For me, it was easier to shoot offhand with the higher mount of 1/3, especially around a barrier/wall.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Absolute with folding front/rear sights.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure I mentioned this before, lower 1/3rd works better with a squared up, heads up, CQB style fighting stance.

The iron sight height is a little low for that IMO, but just right for prone shooting.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigproshooter
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer absolute with folding sights so you can get a good cheekweld on the stock, as opposed to the chinweld you get with a lower 1/3rd mount.

Posts: 314 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post