SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: 1/3 co-witness or absolute? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ It's my fault. I was giving bubbatime a hard time without actually saying anything. Granted that the OP's question is based around the AR, but other rifles don't have iron sights that can be flipped down. In my experience with red dots on a couple of such rifles, looking at the red dot when the iron sights are in place doesn't really seem to lead to any problems. It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but, IMHO, bubbatime was a little more vehement than may have been justified.

Posts: 19992 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Absolute. On my AR the sights are high enough as it is and I have flip down buis or none at all.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5108 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It's nice to have the less-cluttered sight picture that comes with using a red dot and folded-down irons but ....

I agree, and admit I didn’t understand what you were getting at.
My “CQB” ARs (training and serious) both have fixed front sights and with a 1/3 view I have never had any problem using them with Aimpoint sights as fast as I could acquire targets. As I mentioned above, I am simply unaware of the iron sights.

And as a somewhat related note, something I have my students practice is using their nonmagnifying optics (Aimpoints, EOTechs, et al.) with the illuminated reticle turned off and no rear BUIS. I just center the target in the “window,” but some shooters like to use the visible front sight (without the rear) as an index even without a rear sight to align it with. With both techniques it’s possible to get reasonably accurate hits on short range targets (to about 15 yards).

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36660 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
Picture of apprentice
posted Hide Post
Update:
Bought a Holosun HS503GU and just finished mounting it 1/3.

That's how it came set up, and it does seem like a good way to go now that I've looked through it that way. It did come with a low mount, and a battery as well, in case anyone was wondering.

Hope things shoot straight, still need to find out.

Thanks for the responses.

------------------------------
"...and we liked it!"

Posts: 5605 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Well and Keep Your Rifle Clean
Picture of mrmn50
posted Hide Post
Tried both and have settled on lower 1/3.

"..AGAINST ALL ENEMIES, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC,...SO HELP ME GOD."

Posts: 20570 | Location: Czechtown,Minnesota | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
For me it depends on the ARs set up.
I prefer lower 1/3 for ARs with a fixed front sight & absolute with BUIS odd as that may sound.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"

Posts: 5330 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post