SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Daughters first small deer hunting rifle recommendations? Budget minded
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughters first small deer hunting rifle recommendations? Budget minded Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
Hello.

My daughter (14 Year Old) is showing some interest in deer hunting with me.

I've gone since I was a kid but have only bagged one deer, which was a couple years ago and have not hunted much since.

Figure this would be a good way to get back into it myself and have some great bonding time as well.

Looking for something on the cheaper spectrum in case she does not quite enjoy it as much as she thinks she will. But something that wont leave her frustrated either. Not a lot of money to spend... so trying to keep it sub $400 if possible for a rifle/scope combo.

Savage Axis (II?) Youth is one of the best fits I've seen out there so far for quality/price. I have a Savage 116 and it is super accurate and just shoots nice. Have always liked Savage out of the box quality and accuracy.

But seem to see mixed reviews on these lower end Axis models though. Price is right for around $370 ish for the package with the scope. But no one seems to have them in stock.

Was looking at either .243 or 7mm-08.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Greatly appreciate it!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 gauge shotgun, then take her bird hunting also

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
20 gauge shotgun, then take her bird hunting also

I respectfully disagree. I wouldn't hinder her by giving her a weapon that is limited. But I totally agree on taking her bird hunting, also.

On the cheap end, check out an NEF Handi Rifle or some other single shot in .243 Win. Or she can probably shoot managed recoil loads in 270 or 3006.

Stock fit will be key, specifically LOP. And make sure she has a good rest.

Used guns are always a good idea, too. If you get a decent used gun you get a lot of value and you keep good resale if she doesn't like hunting enough to keep after it. If you buy a budget rifle, it is harder to get any money out of it later, in my experience. I think if you can stretch it to $500 you open up your options more on a decent used rifle/scope.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Buds has 5 Savage Axis models with scopes in .243 in stock from $290 to $404.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...00606/sort/price-asc

You might find Savage Axis rifles hard to find cause they are very popular. Savage has a reputation for accuracy.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Model 7 in .260

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
IMO for your intended purpose you're not going to go wrong with a Savage. My 10FP in .223 is amazingly accurate for what I paid. Just make sure that whatever you get fits her...my kids have struggled some with stocks with too long a LOP.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on .243. It’s a good flat shooting round with minimal recoil. Add a Limbsaver butt pad to whatever you get and she’ll do fine.

Tikka T3 or the new Weatherby Vanguards are both really nice rifles for the price.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the 243. Low recoil, plenty powerful enough for deer, and the ammo is easy to find. As far as what rifle, I'd take her to a gunshop and let her handle a few to find one that fit her frame size.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage Axis Compact in 223 for my kids. Accurate rifle, but opt for the Axis II so you get the accutrigger. I've spent plenty of time and effort getting the stock trigger to not suck.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter both took deer last fall with a Savage Axis II compact in 7mm-08.
Neither are large kids, but the recoil didn't bother either of them. A set of shooting sticks made it very manageable for them.
I would also agree with letting her handle a few rifles and see what fits her the best.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i love the Remington 788. They are not as easy to find anymore. But they exist. Also a piece of history. Something that maybe she would hold on too for her own youngsters if they come down the road. They are fantastic shooters and a great piece of Remington's history.
The funny part of the story is that Remington introduced them as a cheap option to their vaunted 700. Turned out to be a better rifle Wink
A .243win would be prefect for her.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Great suggestions. Thank you!

Im seeing a lot more in stock that is not the youth models. I will definitely let her feel some rifles, but how critical would that be youth vs non? Seems only a 2" difference from what I can tell?

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
.243 is great. Take a look at the Ruger American. Nicely made and great reputation for accuracy.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would not worry about purchasing a "youth" model. Not necessary at her age imho.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I went with a .270 when I was in your position.

I figured I could get a load light enough to practice with and hunt with until my daughter became confident enough to shoot 150gr rounds.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I would certainly consider a Savage, but one with the Accutrigger. Is that a model 110? Can't remember. Or the Ruger American for about the same money.

I expected to see a bunch of recommendations for the 6.5 calibers in this thread. Why is the Creedmoor/260 Rem/6.5x47 so highly recommended for target shooting, but then forgotten as a hunting cartridge? Certainly anything a 6mm could do, a 6.5 could also do a little better with no more recoil that a 243. It seems like a 6.5 Creedmoor would make a nice youth starter hunting round.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It seems like the gun and pawn stores around here are filthy with .243 long guns of every type. It is the perfect starter gun for deer for any age.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I just read like two days ago where someone bought the rifle from whomever, then called the manufacturer and purchased a youth stock for it. (but I don't recall if it was Ruger or Savage) Then they had the full size stock for the kid to grow into, or lose interest and resell.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lude4life:
Awesome! Great suggestions. Thank you!

Im seeing a lot more in stock that is not the youth models. I will definitely let her feel some rifles, but how critical would that be youth vs non? Seems only a 2" difference from what I can tell?

Depends on how tall and strong she is.

Shooting a poorly fitting rifle is extremely frustrating.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought my sister a synthetic Savage Axis in 243, package deal that had a scope on it as well.

He ended up replacing the trigger, as it was immensely heavy.
I believe the Axis II has the adjustable trigger.

If budget permits, a Tikka would be a great one as well, love mine in 270.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post