SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I need deer hunting rifle advice please. Update in OP!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need deer hunting rifle advice please. Update in OP! Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 116 in 30-06. It is a fantastic rifle. Savage produces great out of the box accuracy rifles.

My dad has a Rem 700 in 30-06 and also a fantastic firearm.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brett B:
I shot a friends Ruger American in .308 the other weekend and boy that thing was rough. It had the clunkiest action I have ever experienced. The bolt handle would get stuck about 95% of the way up, you had to hammer it to get it the rest of the way up before the bolt could be opened. It also grouped horribly at 50 yards. I handed it back to my friend and suggested that he not spend any more time and money on it. I'm sure they are not all like that but I can't fathom how this one even made it out the door.

My 15 year old bought one and had a completely opposite experience... was bullet holes touchin' bullet holes at 100 yards right out of the box once he got it sighted in. I'll give ya the bolt is a little sloppy but accuracy was spot on and the trigger is really nice for an out of the box gun. The only real issue he has is that since its really light the recoil is pretty stout...

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The reviews I've read/watched on the Ruger Americans, and the personal experiences of buddies who bought them, all mirror Tompow's experience rather than Brett B's friend's experience.

Accurate. Good factory trigger. Slightly rough and sloppy action that slicks up with use and/or some minor polishing. Somewhat chintzy stock. Cheap but functional magazine. Great value for the money.

And many of those issues can be solved relatively easily.

Seems like Ruger's addressing the issue with the flimsy magazine by releasing new models that use other Ruger magazines, like the 7.62x39 Ruger American that uses Mini-30 mags. I anticipate that .300/.223/etc. models will soon be released that use Mini-14 mags.

And Magpul will soon be releasing a replacement stock that accepts AICS magazines.

There are various manufacturers that offer other replacement stocks, like Boyds.

The only issue is whether you want to drop $200-$300 on a new stock for a $350 rifle.

Posts: 32426 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Winchester XPR's have a $100 rebate until 9/30.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/...summer-rebates1.html

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ruger M77 Internatinal

Ruger gets a real Mauser type claw extractor.

The ONLY downside is you have to use Ruger rings.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Marzy for the win. I want one of those in .243 in the worst way.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Fellow KY hunter here. Where I hunt is both wooded and open field dependent upon which stand I pick. Most are under 150 but a couple of the field stands stretch it out to 250. My deer last year I took at 100 yards and the year before that was 225.
I have a Sig SHR 970 in .270 with a Nikon 4-12 Scope. I am very happy with both. .270 is an excellent flat shooting load with plenty of power for any deer you will come across here.
Being that the Sig SHR 970s are few and far between anymore if I were to purchase today I would likely go with a Tikka T3 paired to a Nikon scope. Great action and accuracy and I am very happy with Nikon glass even in the lower Prostaff models.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Ruger American in 22-250 a while back that will easily put 5 shots in an inch at 100 yards if I do my part. Stock is cheap, bolt is a little rough and I despise the magazine, but that gun is a real shooter.
I wouldn't pass up one in .308 or even 7mm-08 if you found a good deal on it.
That 7mm-08 is an amazing little round. My wife has a Browning A Bolt Micro chambered in it and it's a hell of a good little whitetail gun.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The Tikka T3 is a great value and sometimes overlooked. Great accuracy and reliability. As for caliber, any .270, .308, .30-06 will be fine for Kentucky whitetail. I'm a fan of the .260 Remington for accuracy, power and low recoil.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally by posted Marsy:
The ONLY downside is you have to use Ruger rings.

More like "one benefit is that you GET to use Ruger rings." IMO its a great design and the rings are solid as a rock.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stock answer for anyone looking for a hunting rifle that has the best price/performance is the Tikka.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Fellow KY hunter here. Where I hunt is both wooded and open field dependent upon which stand I pick. Most are under 150 but a couple of the field stands stretch it out to 250. My deer last year I took at 100 yards and the year before that was 225.
I have a Sig SHR 970 in .270 with a Nikon 4-12 Scope. I am very happy with both. .270 is an excellent flat shooting load with plenty of power for any deer you will come across here.
Being that the Sig SHR 970s are few and far between anymore if I were to purchase today I would likely go with a Tikka T3 paired to a Nikon scope. Great action and accuracy and I am very happy with Nikon glass even in the lower Prostaff models.

This is what I did.
The Sauer 101 is out of my budget, SHR970 not exactly plentiful.
Bought a Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .270 & put a Nikon Monarch on it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've got a Winchester 30-06 that has always performed exactly as I would like.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with a 308 either.

If I were buying a new deer rifle today and didn't have a bunch of 30 caliber components on hand, I would buy a 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR-15.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the weatherby vanguard rifles. IVe never seen one that wasnt extremely accurate out of the box and they come in any caliber you could ever need for deer hunting. Ive seen them go for under 500 dollars at sportsmans warehouse.

Right now my deer rifle is a Kimber Montana in 308 with a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36 and it comes in right at 6lbs. Weight is important for me because the deer live in steep STEEP areas here.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think you made a fine choice, among many good options.

Good luck with the hunt.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Which T3 variation did you end up with??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Which T3 variation did you end up with??

T3 Lite, blue steel, black stock. Made in 2014, new old stock at Cabelas.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Good choice going with the Tikka

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Great choice in Rifle and Caliber.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice on rifle and optic.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post