SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I need deer hunting rifle advice please. Update in OP!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need deer hunting rifle advice please. Update in OP! Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
Looking at the Remington 700 adl, Savage 111 and the Ruger American in 270 or 30-06. I will be hunting in Kentucky and don't foresee shooting over 150 yards. Would I be better served with a 12 gauge slug gun? Thanks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I picked up a Tikka T3 in 270 Winchester and put a Nikon Prostaff scope on it, this should be plenty of rifle for me no more than I'll be hunting. Thanks again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
are you hunting in wooded areas?

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
are you hunting in wooded areas?

Yes, at times I will be. Wooded areas and open fields.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
So gun, chambering, & scope are the main questions? Do you reload? Will it be mostly stand/blind hunting?

I lean towards lighter, shorter rifles & do a combination of stand & 'still' hunting. The Browning X-Bolt 'Micro-hunter' in 243 or 7mm-08 is something I'd gravitate towards.

If you want to share duty & ammo with a SHTF rifle, a 308 will do. I would get a simple bolt gun, then a 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9 scope of at least mid level quality.

A 243 with a good big game bullet is plenty for deer, then you also have a coyote rifle.

I'd much rather a rifle than most any slug gun, especially past 75 yards.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
So gun, chambering, & scope are the main questions? Do you reload? Will it be mostly stand/blind hunting?

I lean towards lighter, shorter rifles & do a combination of stand & 'still' hunting. The Browning X-Bolt 'Micro-hunter' in 243 or 7mm-08 is something I'd gravitate towards.

If you want to share duty & ammo with a SHTF rifle, a 308 will do. I would get a simple bolt gun, then a 2-7, 2.5-8, or 3-9 scope of at least mid level quality.

A 243 with a good big game bullet is plenty for deer, then you also have a coyote rifle.

I'd much rather a rifle than most any slug gun, especially past 75 yards.

I'm open to any suggestions as I have no experience with deer hunting rifles but I was wanting to stay at around $500 for the rifle. It looks like the Browning x bolt is over $750 just for the rifle alone. I will be hunting from a stand. I do not reload. Thanks

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
The Browning A bolt fits your budget. I've seen them online for $500. Of the rifles you mentioned, I'd choose the Browning. They make an excellent hunting rifle. Caliber choice really doesn't matter. If it were my rifle, I'd probably get a .308 simply because it's a short action vs .270 and 30-06 being long action calibers.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'd buy a used Ruger M77, personally. Old ones with the tang safety had good triggers but barrels were spotty in later years. MKII's are 3 position safety which I prefer, but triggers are bad. A Timney drop in is an upgrade you might want to make, although I just learned mine and stuck with it. It'll shoot 1.5" all day. The Hawkeye fixes both issues and is very nice.

All 3 are much better rifles than the American and I see them around 500, or with a scope for 700, all the time.

And no to the shotgun. I'd take just about any rifle over 6mm in dia than a shotgun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YellowJacket,

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll be better served with a shotgun. I've been hunting 23 years and have been using a Remington 700 270. I like a 270. Its a nice flat shooting round and capable with pretty much all north american game. 308, 270 or 30-06 will all serve you well!! And when you do find yourself having to make a shot over 150 yards, you'll be able to with any of those calibers, but not a shotgun.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Browning A Bolt .308 with Nikon scope from Bud's for under $600...might be worth a look. A 150 grain .308 will be a good deer dropper...it always was for me Smile...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+NIKON+COMBO+308+WIN

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger m 77 tang safety 30.06 bought it new in 1978 hunted with it for deer elk and pronghorn great all around gun Have a leopold 3x9 gold ring scope.
I haven't hunted in 18 years or even shot it maybe I should get out and put a few rounds thru it. It has a walnut stock nothing fancy just clean nice looking lumber. that would be my choice if you can find one.

Posts: 5582 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Any of those rifles you mentioned in either caliber would be great.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at the Remington 700 adl, Savage 111 and the Ruger American in 270 or 30-06.

Yes.

we live in a veritable Golden Age of affordable hunting rifles. The above rifles all are good options, though, with Remington's issues of the past decade, it would be lower in my rankings.

CDNN has a deal on Savage 111's. This is a package deal with Bushnell Tropy 3-9x40 with DOA 600 reticle.

With the $100, it makes the price $349.99

https://www.cdnnsports.com/fir...E&price_sale=449,450

I can vouch for Savage's....great, very accurate rifles.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I'll second the 243 or 7-08 suggestion if Deer is your primary species. The 7-08 could even step it up if need be. I personally run a 6.5x55 but its not very common compared to 243, 3006, etc.

Of the rifles you listed the Savage would be at the top of my list. A few suggestions you havent mentioned would be Tikka and Howa, I would take either of those over the 3 on your list.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I bought a Savage 11/111 with the Nikon 3-9 BDC scope. I got it in 25.06

I bought it for my daughter to hunt with. I'd hunt with it if I go back up without the kids Wink

I shot that out of the box, got it dialed in at 100 yards, then I switched to my Remington 700 XCR and now I want a new trigger for my 700 simply because I really liked the AccuTrigger on the Savage.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Ruger M77 30.06

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I hunt deer with a savage Model 14 in 308 and it kills quickly and is an excellent rifle.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I'd buy a used Ruger M77

quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I have a ruger m 77 tang safety 30.06

quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Ruger M77 30.06

Yep. A Ruger M77 in .30-06 would be my choice for one hunting rifle to do it all.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I shot a friends Ruger American in .308 the other weekend and boy that thing was rough. It had the clunkiest action I have ever experienced. The bolt handle would get stuck about 95% of the way up, you had to hammer it to get it the rest of the way up before the bolt could be opened. It also grouped horribly at 50 yards. I handed it back to my friend and suggested that he not spend any more time and money on it. I'm sure they are not all like that but I can't fathom how this one even made it out the door.

EuroOptic has some great closeout deals on several Tikka T3 rifles that meet your needs and price range. If I needed another hunting rifle in .243, .270 or .308 I would be picking one of these up in a heartbeat.

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...a318-with-rings.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka...a315-with-rings.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka...ainless-270-Win.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3-Lite-308-Win.aspx

http://www.eurooptic.com/Tikka-T3-Lite-270-Win.aspx

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What size are the deer there? What other critters could you encounter?

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was not a year that my grandfather didn't get a deer. He lived in 4 different western states and basically got a deer on or close to opening day. Being poor, all he had a beat up 30-30 lever action with open sights that was close to 100 years old when he passed away. I don't think he owned a pair of binoculars either.

It always astounded me given how much some other folks I knew would spend on all kinds of hunting related things and still never get a sniff of a deer. I wish I'd learned to hunt from him.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post