SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Choosing a buffer tube for an AR-10
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choosing a buffer tube for an AR-10 Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am in the process of building an AR-10 (DPMS-spec) with a 24" barrel.
I have settled on the Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock.
My question is this:
Since the PRS stock will accept either a rifle buffer tube or a carbine buffer tube, which should I use?
Rifle because, well, it's a rifle?
Or carbine for versatility in case I want to swap out the PRS for a regular stock and change it back without changing buffer tubes?
It will be set up with an adjustable gas block to dial in the recoil which I guess would make it possible to manage either one.

What say you?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR10s produce a lot more gas than AR15s, and all this gas should be dealt with as a system.

A 24" barrel will be overgassed. Throttling back the gas with an adjustable gas block will help. Even better is starting out with a longer gas system on the barrel -- consider a rifle-length plus 2" barrel.

The AR10 BCG is a whole lot heavier than an AR15, and it has a whole lot more distance to travel. The rifle length buffer tube plus the additional weight of the rifle buffer makes the recoil a whole lot more manageable. Consider JP's silent capture spring, with heavier weights.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fritz.

The barrel will be a custom Krieger. I saw Nikonuser's link in another thread and put in an order. Interestingly, they don't specify gas system length. I assume it will be rifle length but I was planning on calling today to ask.
The carrier will be the JP LMOS to keep reciprocating weight down. I had seen the JP captured recoil spring device but didn't know if they were helpful. I will definitely consider it, now.
The adjustable gas block will be a SLR Sentry 9, unless someone can point me to a superior one.

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I use a carbine length tube with my UBR coupled with an 18" barrel. I'm using the JP low mass BCG and have an adjustable gas block. It's rifle length gas.

Functionality has been 100% (well, except for that time I had the gas all the way closed and didn't have the key to adjust it...) and recoil is very modest.

Haven't yet gotten around to putting my suppressor on it, though.

TBH, I don't remember which buffer/spring combo I have in there. I think I have a Slash's buffer and spring, but I'm not sure.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Krieger said that it will be a rifle length gas system. They don't offer any longer.
I decided to go with the rifle buffer system over the carbine. If I want a carbine stock, I have other rifles.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Krieger said that it will be a rifle length gas system. They don't offer any longer.

Reviewing older records, my Krieger AR10 barrel also has a rifle length gas system. I see that it's my Bartlein barrel, that was chambered by Craddock Precision, which has a plus 2" gas system.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
New question:

I went with the rifle buffer tube. If I don't go with the JP captured buffer spring system, are there options for adjusting the weight of my rifle buffer? I don't see "H1, H2, H3..." options for the rifle buffer.
This is even more on my mind as I shop for a bolt carrier and may have to pick either a "LMOS" or "Full Mass" bolt carrier, based on availability.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli