SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto PA-10
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto PA-10 Login/Join 
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted
Has anyone bought the Palmetto PA-10 during the recent specials where the 18" uppers and the complete lowers together were sub-$500?

I am not familiar with this model, and I am wondering if the reviews that say the second generation PA-10 is a good shooter are correct.

How does it compare with other AR-10 models? I've heard good and bad things about other Palmetto rifles.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fullmann
posted Hide Post
I tried to fight it, but for a sub $500 AR10.... futile.

They shipped fast, like primary arms/AIM/TGS fast. Which surprised me a lot.

Overall the gun is pretty much like every other AR-10 I've handled. Shipped a little dry, so I have to clean and lube it real good.

Not had time to get it out and run it through its paces, but reviews are ok and I have never had issue with any of palmettos stuff.

Posts: 412 | Location: Mid Michigan  | Registered: June 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine a week and a half ago. $458 shipped, can't go wrong. I've taken it out once, put 10 rounds through it at work. I didn't have any problems, heck of a deal for the price! Do it.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I bought the version of the PSA upper with the 18" stainless barrel and free-floated Mlok handguard and matched it to a PSA lower with the enhanced, polished trigger and MOE furniture. I had to clean and lube the gun before use as the barrel was dirty and the gun was really dry. Only problem was I needed to tweak the bolt hold-open to get it operate reliably with IMI 20-round mags and D&H steel 10-rounders.

There's a lot of discussion on PSA's PA10 over on AR15.com on the "AR variants" subforum.

I'm really happy with mine even though I bought it just before PSA cut the price ANOTHER $70!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TooTech,

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Nope but if I see it, Im jumping. How can you not? Even if it does need a little TLC.

I saw they had their M4 style ARs for 379.00......379.00. That's PD Glock trade in pricing. No reason why every single American shouldn't own one. Same goes for the Sub 500 AR10....I thought they were a good deal at 550.00

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
So which magazine is the best for a PA-10, the Magpul SR-25?

I remember when people were spending about as much, give or take, for aftermarket lowers for the SCAR 17S. I understand the 17S is probably better all around, but for many purposes at this price point a PA-10 may suffice.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've been getting their daily deals e-mails and this looks tempting.

The question is:

do I need a .308? I don't hunt, never had much of an interest, but the deal seems to be too damn good. Is it a good self defense round?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I've been getting their daily deals e-mails and this looks tempting.

The question is:

do I need a .308? I don't hunt, never had much of an interest, but the deal seems to be too damn good. Is it a good self defense round?

I chose the 308 as my go to round after much debate between 308, x39, 5.56, 5.45 and 300blk. I still have rifles in 5.56 and 300blk but If I was leaving the house and never coming back my SCAR17 is coming with me. I have no need for an AR pattern 308 or another 308in general. However for 480.00 to my door, its cheap insurance. Let us not forget that these prices won't be like this forever. Fast forward 10 years when politics shift agaisnt us. This is the time to stock up on guns and ammo. MY goal by the end of next year is to have enough ammo to shoot as frequently as I do now for a 5 year period and still maintain a 2k round supply of 308, 556 and 9mm. Essentially I can go make it through a 5-year ammo shortage and still have 2k rounds at the end. The ammo can deal from PSA was the catalyst.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
For magazines I use polymer IMI 20-rounders I bought from Aim Surplus, and D&H steel 10-rounders I bought from Brownell's.

Both work great in my PA10. MOST people have success using Magpuls, but there are the occasional reports of trouble which is why I looked elsewhere.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
I had a Gen 1 PA-10 stripped lower that I bought from a friend a few years ago that sat around until recently. PSA had a close out on a Gen 1 PA-10 rifle kit for $469 (I think). It's a 1-10 18" melonite barrel with a mid length gas system and standard handguards. I replaced the M4 stock with a B5.

I've been thinking about floating the barrel but the accuracy has been great. I bought a Sig Sauer "Whisky 3" 3-9x40 scope (which I've beeen very impressed with) and a few Magpul 25 round mags. I've had no issues with the rifle and am very pleased with the results of my build.

I will add that before I put the rifle together, I had watched and read several review's on the PA-10. There was a common issue with feeding in most of the videos I watched. The solution was to remove the tiny, second extractor spring. I did that before I had ever fired a shot and I've since put 100 trouble free rounds through the rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Turbo216,

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 583 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The good reviews continue on Palmetto's website.

I'm wondering what Black Friday will bring this year.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Congrats to all you guys that got them, sounds like a screaming deal and y'all make me wish I needed another ...

They're definately priced to buy, but at some point ya just have to say I wish I needed one but there's other holes that need filling ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 308th_sps
posted Hide Post
I bought that package. Put a Nikon 4-12 scope on it. Shoots .6” group at 100yards. Works with or without suppressor. Only negative is it’s REALLY heavy. Smile

308th_sps

American by birth
Veteran by choice
Southern by the Grace of God

Posts: 199 | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
at some point ya just have to say I wish I needed one but there's other holes that need filling ...

That's my excuse - I've got other goodies in line ahead of it.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308th_sps:
I bought that package. Put a Nikon 4-12 scope on it. Shoots .6” group at 100yards. Works with or without suppressor. Only negative is it’s REALLY heavy. Smile

How heavy is heavy?
My SiG 716 DMR is about 8.5 pounds, Stoner SR25 Match is a bit more but it has a 24" barrel

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Mine shoots 3/4 MOA at 100 yards.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Which ammo are you using?

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Which ammo are you using?

147 grain Hertenberger.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post