SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Fun with my Teslong Borescope. Pics of a shot out TRW M14 barrel.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fun with my Teslong Borescope. Pics of a shot out TRW M14 barrel. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Just sold this barrel to a guy who's going to cut it up and make a jig out of it.

I figured some of you might find some entertainment value out of these images. This was a take-off barrel from a guy who bought an Armscorp M14. We parted out the rifle and took the useable parts and built a whole new rifle with a new receiver, bolt, barrel and stock.

Enjoy!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EWWWW

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea how many rounds that barrel had through it?

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAMN!!!!

My "shot out" 6Dasher barrel looks no where near that bad. Granted, my definition is approx. 2700 rounds down the barrel with 75fps velocity loss and accuracy dropped off to 1 MOA.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 862 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
No idea on the round count. It was obviously a take-off from an M1A, then someone installed it on a horribly out of spec Armscorp rear lugged receiver and sold it on gunbroker.

The guy brought it straight to me for inspection and it was dismantled from there.

I’d estimate 10K or so.

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would like to know more information on the Teslong. Model?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Thank you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Is this considered "normal wear" for a well-used M14/M1A barrel, or is it indicative of some specific type of abuse?

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Should be this model...
https://www.amazon.com/Teslong...b3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I'm new to borescopes, so I've never had a chance to inspect a chrome lined barrel after a certain round count.

I do know that once the chrome lining starts to fail, it wears quickly from there.

My guess is that it had 7,000 to 10,000 rounds. The Genesso, IL stamp indicates it was a take-off shot-out barrel from a M1A standard and someone built a rifle from scrap parts that were laying around.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I'm new to borescopes, so I've never had a chance to inspect a chrome lined barrel after a certain round count.

I do know that once the chrome lining starts to fail, it wears quickly from there.

I don't have a borescope, however I have looked at quite a few posted borescope pictures. Your pictures of this barrel definitely show wear, with significant chunks of the chrome lining eroded away.

A few years ago Frank Green of Bartlein barrels did an video interview about barrel materials and chrome lining. The interview may have occurred at a Shot Show, and it was posted on a few rifle-related websites and blogs. Frank stated that Bartlein does not chrome line their barrels and probably never will. The reasons were:
- It's really hard to lay down the chrome lining to the bore in a precise manner. Even the best facilities produce variations in chrome thickness, and these variations decrease accuracy.

- When chrome lining begins to flake off, accuracy goes south immediately. As in from one shot to the next. Evidently Bartlein tested a number of competitor's chrome lined 308 Win barrels. Some of the barrels began flaking their chrome lining near the throat area in just a few hundred rounds. Accuracy changes were immediately seen.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
^^^^
It's for this reason that I will never buy a chrome lined barrel. I'd rather buy a SS or CM barrel and have it nitrided if I wanted longevity and corrosion resistance.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
Commonly occurring within the frequent "what should I buy" AR15 threads are recommendations for chrome-lined barrels. After seeing the chrome-line bore pictures and considering Frank Green's video, I suspect the people who recommend chrome-lined barrels are basing their thoughts on decades-old Army practices, instead of current information.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Very informative. Think I'll stick to stainless barrels.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post