SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 vs. Vortex Razor HD 5-20
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 vs. Vortex Razor HD 5-20 Login/Join 
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted
Can someone educate me on this scope? Is it worth the $2k price tag?

Looking to mount it on a Tikka TSR-1 in .260.

Was looking at the Impact-23 reticle for the scope.

Edit.

So I got a chance to try a few scopes this last weekend and one of the scopes I tried was a Vortex Optics Razor HD 5-20x50. It was super clear and very bright even in the low light. So thoughts on this for a choice over the Leupold?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GroundedCLK,

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly a lot of the new Leupolds are so new there aren't any real reviews (or none that I can find).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
The VX6(not HD) at its current used market pricing is a tremendous value. The HD models didnt get any real upgrades from the standard models to justify the retail cost.

I currently run VX5 and VX6 Leupolds on 90% of my rifles. When all factors are considered, they are hard to beat for the money. Not sure what youre going to do with the rifle but 2k is NF ATACR pricing and depending on use, Id proabaly take that over the Leupold. Ive pretty much went to Leupold for hunting and NF for my paper puncher range guns.

Shoot me an email if you decide to go with a VX6HD and want to save a few hundred bucks.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't been face to face with this scope, therefore much is a guess.

Leupolds generally have pretty nice glass. I suspect this model's glass will be quite good.

The scope only has 68 MOA of vertical elevation adjustment. Consider what you want to use the rifle for, but for me this is pretty minimal elevation adjustment. If you have no desire to shoot the gun at long distance, then you should be fine.

The impact 23 reticle looks interesting. I would want to see it live before ordering, however. Such reticles work best if they are in the first focal plane. I believe this is a second focal plane scope, which means the impact 23 reticle only functions properly at one specific magnification level. And that might be maximum magnification.

With what little I know of the scope and your desired use, I would continue to look at other options.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the prompt responses and Warpig602 I will run any purchase by you first to see if you can help me out.

Yes you are correct the Impact 23 reticle is designed to be used at full magnification on second focal plane.One of the things that attracted me to the scope was all the reviews on the VX6, and the option of the CDS dials.

Does anyone have another recommendation on a scope over the VX6HD?

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before we all dive into our personal scope favorites, tell us a bit more what you intend to use the rifle for.

What will be your normal target distances? Say you travel a bit -- what are the closest and farthest target distances you expect?

What kind of targets? Game (if so, what type)? Ringing steel? Punching holes in paper?

What target sizes? What kind of accuracy do you expect?

What kind of lighting conditions? Early morning, late day, always around noon, in all weather conditions year round?

What kind of magnification do you prefer?

First or second focal plane reticle? While we're on the reticle, do you intend to use it for holding elevation and/or wind? (which is what the impact 23 reticle was designed for)

Do you intend to dial elevations or windage for different targets?

You mentioned the CDS dials. Will you always use the same ammo? Always shoot at the same altitude and temperature?

Have you looked through various scopes to get a ballpark idea of what you do and don't like about reticles, dials, glass clarity, and general "feel"?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
On the subject of CDS. In a hunting application it's pretty nice. I've switched all my Leupolds to CDS and Firedot for that matter. 90% of my rifles are in fact setup for 1 load. My Varmint guns may have as many as 3 loads and you will need to get a CDS dial for each load. My hunting elevation and especially temp vary quite a bit. Because of that I usually choose a median elevation and temp and it works just fine at the ranges I typically shoot, 550 and under. In real world conditions I typically won't shoot over 400-450 On the long end.....and haven't had to yet. At those ranges temp and elevation seem to have no effect in terms of CDS accuracy. I can't speak to the real world use past 600 but when reviewing ballistic charts the elevation difference had minimal impact at ranges further than 600. I doubt it will have you shooting golf balls at distance but for steel plates and game im happy with the CDS system.
One last point, my recent switch to Leupolds from other brands of similar quality was strictly because of their customer support.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Before we all dive into our personal scope favorites, tell us a bit more what you intend to use the rifle for.

To start with I have several bolt action rifles nearly everyone of them has a different brand/style scopes mounted on it.

What will be your normal target distances? Say you travel a bit -- what are the closest and farthest target distances you expect?

Normal distance is between 100-400 yards, but as of this month I just got some land in Vermont that I can go to regularly that I can reach out to 1500 yards.

What kind of targets? Game (if so, what type)? Ringing steel? Punching holes in paper?

Ringing steel & paper.

What target sizes? What kind of accuracy do you expect?

Silhouettes, etc.

What kind of lighting conditions? Early morning, late day, always around noon, in all weather conditions year round?

Yes and yes.

What kind of magnification do you prefer?

I am not sure...

First or second focal plane reticle? While we're on the reticle, do you intend to use it for holding elevation and/or wind? (which is what the impact 23 reticle was designed for)

From what I have read I would prefer First Focal plane, and yes I understand the differences in them.

Do you intend to dial elevations or windage for different targets?

Umm..., I understand the question but not sure as I was looking at the Christmas tree reticles to start with. Because it was explained that it would require less use of the dials

You mentioned the CDS dials. Will you always use the same ammo? Always shoot at the same altitude and temperature?

This is kind of the reason I was looking at the CDS dials in the first place, I have bought my first reloading press and have been working with some experienced friends on developing a load for my new rifle.

Have you looked through various scopes to get a ballpark idea of what you do and don't like about reticles, dials, glass clarity, and general "feel"?

I sold a Schmidt and Bender because I didn't like the P4 reticle, I have a mil-dot, EBR-1... What I was looking at was the Horus reticles as the recommended scope to me was a Bushnell Elite DMR II/HDMR II with the H59 reticle.

My intentions are to setup a new rifle to run a couple PRS matches, after attending some precision rifle classes obviously. Sig has one that I was looking at, I also looked at the classes at Rifles Only. I have shot bolt action rifles for awhile now but most of the time it has been at and barely over 300 yards. I have shot longer but on a regular basis to say I know what I am doing.

posted Hide Post
Ok, this is a good start. I may throw out thoughts in pieces. Rifles Only is a good place to start. I have attended a number of Jacob Bynum's courses. The fundamentals that he teaches work well with PRS-type shooting.

PRS-type shooting pretty much demands a first focal plan reticle. Reticles are personal, so look through as many scopes as possible. Mil vs. MOA is a personal choice, although realize that more PRS-type competitors will be using mil scopes. If your squad mates talk in mils, a MOA scope will be more of a communication challenge. But in reality you should learn to talk wind holds in miles per hour of effective wind, then have a dope conversion table for your rifle/load/air density.

I have MOA scopes, and since I have enough of them already, I doubt I will ever convert to mils. But had I started with mil scopes, I would have all mil scopes. I can generally convert small values from mils to MOA on the fly in my head, so I can converse with mil scope users.

I don't like the really "busy" Christmas tree reticles. IMO there's too much stuff in the reticle below the cross hairs. With some reticle designs I find it hard to easily know my hold over and windage values. Some Christmas reticle designs have so much black marking that it partially hides targets, or just as bad, obscures my bullet impacts.

The Christmas tree reticles do help in hold overs with wind if you're short on time to dial. Which in some PRS matches is just about every stage. But I still use my "simple" reticles (Nightforce MOAR) effectively for the same purpose. Whatever you choose, I recommend your reticles be consistent from one scope to the next.

One advantage of hold over reticles is that the reduced dialing increases the effective life of your scope. PRS-type matches are notoriously difficult on elevators -- IMO it's the number one reason a scope craps out in the field. All that dialing eventually wears out the elevator system, regardless of the scope's brand name or cost.

The CDS dial works for hunting -- relatively short distances and relatively generous targets. I don't recommend it for PRS matches, assuming:
- you intend to shoot in various temperatures throughout the year
- you intend to travel to different matches, some of which will be held at (ASL) elevations noticeably different than your home location
- your targets will be set at distances of 700-ish yards or more
- you will never change your load -- bullet and muzzle velocity will stay the same. Forever.

Repeatable elevation dialing, clear glass, and a usable reticle are more important that uber-high magnification. The transition between targets in many PRS matches can't be done at 20-something power. Many of my time-pressured stages are shot at 10 to 15 power, sometimes as low as 7 or 8 power.

posted Hide Post
I'm no expert across multiple brands. Here's my highly subjective thoughts on some of the brands. Understand that I'm viewing this from a PRS-type application. Thus, I give poor marks for simple duplex reticle and BDC reticle models.

Burris -- Never thought much about them until recently. They actively support PRS-type matches. Reticles and turrets have improved dramatically recently. The XTR II line has some decent scopes at reasonable prices.

Kahles -- nice scopes, but expensive.

Leupold -- I think Leupold has been slow to serve the PRS-type market. We see few of their scopes in competition. The Mark 6 and Mark 8 models have the right features, but they are expensive.

Nightforce -- Was slow to the FFP market, as I suspect military, bench rest, and F-class has been their market for awhile. Their FFP (F1) line is still a bit limited. ATACR scopes are amazing. SHV scopes are incredible values. I have older NXS 3.5-15x F1, ATACR 4-16x F1, ATACR 5-25x F1, SHV 4-14 F1, and Compact 2.5-10x F2.

Schmidt & Bender -- For a long time they were the top of the heap scope with the PM II line. Occasional quality issues and elevator turrets that don't hold up to years of dialing have tarnished their throne position. Other companies have glass that virtually matches theirs, too.

Sig -- Their reticles stink for PRS.

Steiner -- I don't know much about their scopes other than great glass and high quality. The T5Xi looks interesting.

Vortex -- Looked down upon by some, but I think they make some decent products. Razor glass is really amazing. Their Viper line offers a lot of scope for the money. I have a PST 2-10x F1, but with very limited experience behind it. Their LPV scopes offer a lot for the money.

Tangent Theta -- I've only seen one model. It was amazing, but so is the price. Maybe the best scopes on the market today, but only for those willing to shell out the money.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Almost got a VX6HD 3-18 but once I compared it side by side to NF NXS it was no comparison. Night Force glass was better and turret clicks were better

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Almost got a VX6HD 3-18 but once I compared it side by side to NF NXS it was no comparison. Night Force glass was better and turret clicks were better

Obviously a matter of opinion but I have several NXS and VX6 models, to my eyes, the Leupold has better glass, noticeably. The NXS is a great scope but I've never touted it for it's glass, especially compared to glass in the same price range.

That being said, the NF is built like a tank and if go8ng in harms way it would be my choice. The VX6 and NXS are sort of an apples to oranges comparison. They are designed and built for different applications. I wo7ld want an NXS on a lightweight hunting rig and the VX6 wouldn't be my first choice on a dedicated precision rifle

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

Obviously a matter of opinion but I have several NXS and VX6 models, to my eyes, the Leupold has better glass, noticeably. The NXS is a great scope but I've never touted it for it's glass, especially compared to glass in the same price range.

That being said, the NF is built like a tank and if go8ng in harms way it would be my choice. The VX6 and NXS are sort of an apples to oranges comparison. They are designed and built for different applications. I wo7ld want an NXS on a lightweight hunting rig and the VX6 wouldn't be my first choice on a dedicated precision rifle

Of the two models I was comparing the VX6HD is 10 ounces lighter so was really hoping to like it so I could save some weight.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Edited the original post for a new optic choice the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50...

posted Hide Post
https://www.eurooptic.com/schm...-xr-mrad-dt-ccw.aspx

Way better scope than either IMO. Good deal on that particular one and the retical is excellent.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
https://www.eurooptic.com/schm...-xr-mrad-dt-ccw.aspx

Way better scope than either IMO. Good deal on that particular one and the retical is excellent.

I have a Schmidt & Bender PMii on one of my other bolt action rifles, it is a really nice scope. The rifle is a 338 lapua that I don't ever shoot and really don't have the room to do so often enough.

Prompting this build as my normal ranged will be about 300 yards regularly then ability to reach out to 1500 yards. So I wanted to stay under $2k on the scope because when I originally budgeted for this rifle I planned on getting a Tikka TSR-1 which was $1700 out the door.

Well now that has changed and I am now either picking up a McMillan Adjustable A5 TH or a KWM Sentinel, and still debating on barreled actions.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
GroundedCLK,

Sounds like you are wanting to do the same as me. I had originally wanted to pick up a Tik Tac, but I decided that I like traditional stocks better, so I recently got a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor CTR for about $815. I am planning to throw it into an adjustable McMillan A5 (hopefully this fall if I can get some money saved Big Grin ). As for the scope, my budget is a bit tigher, so I am looking at a Vortex Viper PST II 5-25x50 FFP with the EBR-2C reticle. Honestly, I think I can make do out to 1500 with it. My cousin has one on one of his guns and I quite enjoy it.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be best if you can hold the Leupold and Vortex scopes side by side. Otherwise there's a bunch of theory and personal preference which clouds the decision. And I'm not immune to it.

The Leupold has only 68 MOA of elevation adjustment, the Vortex has 125 MOA. For most people this makes little difference. If you truly intend to shoot at longer distances, the Vortex's greater adjustment range pretty much seals the deal.

The Leupold is SFP, the Vortex is FFP. If you intend to shoot PRS-type matches, the Vortex's FFP absolutely and unquestionably seals the deal. Anyone who thinks SFP works in PRS needs to meet us in Albuquerque this spring for the Precision Rifleman's match at the Zia range. The @&#$% short time constraints, the multiple target distances to engage, and the challenges of finding which targets are on the stage you're currently shooting serve to make a SFP scope a severe handicap.

Both scopes will likely have very clear glass. The Leupold is old school and getting long in the tooth. I recommend the Vortex Razor over the Leupold.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I cannot find anyone who has the Leupold instock, so I think I am going to go with the Vortex after dealer pricing it comes to $1650. Overall that’s not bad I am tempted to get the PST GenII based upon how much I will use it. At this point it is really the final thought before pulling the trigger.